Jon Elson

Luds wrote:
Hello,

Trying my hand at TIG welding, and keep melting the Tungsten. Setup is
Dynasty 200DX with Coolmate, Water Cooled Torch, tried different
diameter electrodes, welding mild steel, setup according to manual
along with rod diameter selection, DCEN seting. The electrode always
melts before I can form a large enough pool to form the weld. Any
thoughts what I can be doing wrong?

Something is WAY wrong! Now, the very TIP of the electrode is supposed
to melt, just a little, when you are at the upper end of the current
range for that size. What electrodes are you using? Pure Tungsten
(EWP)? Those are only good for serious pros who are required to use
them in aerospace work. Get some Zirconiated electrodes for Aluminum,
and Thoriated or Lanthanated for mild steels. That makes a HUGE
difference.

Are you absolutely sure you have water flowing through the torch?
Are you absolutely sure the current control is working?
You should be using 100% Argon, and probably flowing 5-10 Cu Ft/Hr
for modest sized electrodes.

Jon