Greg Dermer

Default Things to see/do in Germany?

Specifically Berlin, Munich or Baden? I'm planning a trip there in October
and am looking for suggestions. I already know about the Deutsches Museum
in Munich: I'm planning on two days for that. What else should a
metal/gear head see? Besides metal stuff for its own sake, I'm interested in
clocks/timekeeping, astronomy, history of technology, steam, rotating
engines of other sorts, old electrical technology... You know, metal/gear
head stuff ;-)

-- Greg
-- http://www.depmco.com

Jim Stewart

Greg Dermer wrote:
Specifically Berlin, Munich or Baden? I'm planning a trip there in October
and am looking for suggestions. I already know about the Deutsches Museum
in Munich: I'm planning on two days for that. What else should a
metal/gear head see? Besides metal stuff for its own sake, I'm interested in
clocks/timekeeping, astronomy, history of technology, steam, rotating
engines of other sorts, old electrical technology... You know, metal/gear
head stuff ;-)

Only slightly off-topic would be the suggestion of a brewery
tour. I'd love to see the Spaten Brewery in Munchen.

Robin S.

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

Only slightly off-topic would be the suggestion of a brewery
tour. I'd love to see the Spaten Brewery in Munchen.

And you have to bring home an oversized (by our standards) beer mug from the
Hoffbrau house. My sister dragged one across Europe after going to Munich
for me, but it's really too big to drink from (you have to drink your three
bottles worth of beer quick or else it gets warm).

Regards,

Robin

Roy

Eat, Eat and eat some more.

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:35:23 -0700, "Greg Dermer"
wrote:

x-Specifically Berlin, Munich or Baden? I'm planning a trip there in October
x-and am looking for suggestions. I already know about the Deutsches Museum
x-in Munich: I'm planning on two days for that. What else should a
x-metal/gear head see? Besides metal stuff for its own sake, I'm interested in
x-clocks/timekeeping, astronomy, history of technology, steam, rotating
x-engines of other sorts, old electrical technology... You know, metal/gear
x-head stuff ;-)
x-
x--- Greg
x--- http://www.depmco.com
x-

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
Bill Janssen

Greg Dermer wrote:

Specifically Berlin, Munich or Baden? I'm planning a trip there in October
and am looking for suggestions. I already know about the Deutsches Museum
in Munich: I'm planning on two days for that. What else should a
metal/gear head see? Besides metal stuff for its own sake, I'm interested in
clocks/timekeeping, astronomy, history of technology, steam, rotating
engines of other sorts, old electrical technology... You know, metal/gear
head stuff ;-)

-- Greg
-- http://www.depmco.com

You might try the web for info. There are some web sites that have info.
From memory I think this will work.

www. destinationgermany.de

Bill K7NOM

pete brooks

Greg Dermer wrote:
Specifically Berlin, Munich or Baden? I'm planning a trip there in October
and am looking for suggestions. I already know about the Deutsches Museum
in Munich: I'm planning on two days for that.

Lucky you. I only had one.

What else should a
metal/gear head see? Besides metal stuff for its own sake, I'm interested in
clocks/timekeeping, astronomy, history of technology, steam, rotating
engines of other sorts, old electrical technology... You know, metal/gear
head stuff ;-)

DM also has an aero arm. Not sure where, precisely.

-- Greg
-- http://www.depmco.com

You'd have to check to see if it's still open, but in Amerang (east-southeast
of Munich) there's a pretty good (I'm told--never was open when I had the time)
car museum. Amerang is south (mostly) of Wasserburg. The local beer is pretty
good. :-)

I was on a consulting gig last year, and on the third trip, three of us went to
the concentration camp/museum at Dachau. Sobering place. Don't plan on doing
something fun later that day.

ff

Greg Dermer wrote:

Specifically Berlin, Munich or Baden? I'm planning a trip there in October
and am looking for suggestions. I already know about the Deutsches Museum
in Munich: I'm planning on two days for that. What else should a
metal/gear head see? Besides metal stuff for its own sake, I'm interested in
clocks/timekeeping, astronomy, history of technology, steam, rotating
engines of other sorts, old electrical technology... You know, metal/gear
head stuff ;-)

-- Greg
-- http://www.depmco.com

Like someone else said, visit the aircraft branch of the Deutches
Museum. Here is a
link to it:

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/zweig/werft/e_fws.htm

The BMW car factory has regular guided tours in english. Call a day
ahead for reservations.

Fred

Cuezilla

I have spent a lot of time in Germany, my wife has a sister that lives
there and we go when ever we got a good price on a ticket. While there
go to some stores similar to the home depot we have here. You will see
some really quality products you won't find here. Out stuff is all
made in Mexico of someplace like that. I remember looking at a display
of hinges. They looked like they would last a century, you just don't
see that stuff here. I will tell you a funny story, I was in Denmark
in a store and I was in the plumbing area. There was a display with a
TV and a video loop running showing the shower heads working. Here is
the funny part, the video has a woman in the shower enjoying the
shower. Totally nude taking a shower. There are kids walking around
and many people, but I am the only one watching. They must have known
I was an American because that stuff means nothing to them. I like to
visit small factories. I once spend the whole day in a place that made
bagpipes in Scotland. When I told them I worked with lathes and built
pool cues, they let me run one of their lathes. It was built in the
1800 and still runs every day. If you rent a car, you can get away
from the regular tourist stuff and meet the real people. I stay for
about a month at a time and drive all over Europe. I will say, I have
not been there since 9-11 so I may be a little more careful now a
days.

"Greg Dermer" wrote in message ...
Specifically Berlin, Munich or Baden? I'm planning a trip there in October
and am looking for suggestions. I already know about the Deutsches Museum
in Munich: I'm planning on two days for that. What else should a
metal/gear head see? Besides metal stuff for its own sake, I'm interested in
clocks/timekeeping, astronomy, history of technology, steam, rotating
engines of other sorts, old electrical technology... You know, metal/gear
head stuff ;-)

-- Greg
-- http://www.depmco.com

Robin S.

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

I don't know what Robin's talking about, I drank two and the second
wasn't noticably warm at all, just cool. All those cobblestones
outside were swaying around a fair bit when I left, though.

Hmmm. Perhaps I should revisit this issue.

And I just missed labour day too (as if I need an excuse!)

Regards,

Robin

Ian Sutherland

(Cuezilla) wrote in message . com...
I have speFrom:
(Ian Sutherland)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Things to see/do in Germany?

(Cuezilla) wrote in message . com...
I have spent

So much to see & only one lifetime, If you get to Stuttgart you will
obviously visit the Mercedes museum possibly the best single marque
museum in Europe if not the world, not far from there is the first
Mercedes factory at Sindelfingen, the tours are really something (in
English too) If you have the time (& transport) a quick trip to
Mulhouse in France (only a couple of hours drive from Stuttgart) will
get you to the greatest car museum on the planet. It's Schlumpf Bros.
(spelling might be wrong) Pretty sure they are on the net. If you get
up north there is a town called Meppen where there is/was? (2000) a
magnetically levitated experimental rail track, you can ride it about
20 Km. each way for about $20.00. I think 300Km. per hour. I drove
hours to get there & only had 1 day to spare & it was closed for
modification ##@&%#@%%#** There is a Luftwaffe museum up north but I
thought hardly worth the time (most exhibits in the open air lots of
military museums with lot's of cool stuff, a couple of submarines open
for tours, If you get to Linz, you are in sight of the bridge at
Remagen really important WWII bridge, great museum interesting story
only takes about 1 hour to see. I could go on for hours (I spent 12
weeks there in 2000, if there is anything else you want to know, just
ask. Have a GREAT trip. Ian S. (Oz)
nt
Jack Smith

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 10:20:54 -0700, "frank" wrote:

Not far outside Munich is Neuschanstein (sp??) the castle of "mad" Ludwig.
It is spectacular, even if somewhat a cliche.

For me, an odd details was one of the most moving things I saw on my
trip in '95. In Berlin, outside what was the national art musem of East
Germany, there had been a fire fight.

That was at the tail end of WWII. 50 years later the workers' paradise had
not yet gotten around to repairing a bridge right in downtown Berlin. The
50 BMG dents were still there, with rusting paint.

Saw the same thing on the outside of the Pergamon in Berlin when we
were there just after the wall came down. My assumption, though, was
that the lack of repair was intentional, to remind the locals what
happened the last time they crossed the Russians.

As far as places to see, the Deutsches Museum in Munich is worth a
visit. When I was there 10 years ago it was in need of a good cleaning
and updating, but still was worth while. And, the Pergamon by all
means if you are in Berlin. It has an excellent collection of middle
eastern artifacts excavated by German archaeologists 100 years ago.

Jack
Greg Dermer

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Lots of good ones, especially about
the beer ;-)

-- Greg