jon_banquer

Default Lindsay Books

I recently purchased this book (still waiting for it to arrive)

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/armature/

I was wondering if others have purchased Lindsay books on other
subjects (which subject(s) ?) and if they found them to be worthwhile
and why ?

http://www.lindsaybks.com/HomePage.html

jon

Robert Swinney

"Armature Winding and Motor Repair" is one of Lindsay's best. I have the
original, also. With it you can actually learn how to rewind motors. Of
course that can be frustrating because many newer motors aren't rewindable.
Threre's good theory there anyway.

Bob Swinney
"jon_banquer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently purchased this book (still waiting for it to arrive)

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/armature/

I was wondering if others have purchased Lindsay books on other
subjects (which subject(s) ?) and if they found them to be worthwhile
and why ?

http://www.lindsaybks.com/HomePage.html

jon

Steve Smith

I have a large number of Lindsay's books. They are all nicely bound and
printed. Pretty well described in the catalog. Read and see what is of
interest, they're cheap enough.

Steve

jon_banquer wrote:

I recently purchased this book (still waiting for it to arrive)

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/armature/

I was wondering if others have purchased Lindsay books on other
subjects (which subject(s) ?) and if they found them to be worthwhile
and why ?

http://www.lindsaybks.com/HomePage.html

jon

Gary Brady

jon_banquer wrote:
I recently purchased this book (still waiting for it to arrive)

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/armature/

I was wondering if others have purchased Lindsay books on other
subjects (which subject(s) ?) and if they found them to be worthwhile
and why ?

http://www.lindsaybks.com/HomePage.html

jon

I've bought numberous books from Lindsay since 1982 (casting, machining,
Gingery books) and have always been happy with them.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Don Stauffer

jon_banquer wrote:
I recently purchased this book (still waiting for it to arrive)

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/armature/

I was wondering if others have purchased Lindsay books on other
subjects (which subject(s) ?) and if they found them to be worthwhile
and why ?

http://www.lindsaybks.com/HomePage.html

jon

I've always gotten great service from Lindsay, and always felt I got my
money's worth.

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations....
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:47:31 GMT, Gary Brady
wrote:

jon_banquer wrote:
I recently purchased this book (still waiting for it to arrive)

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/armature/

I was wondering if others have purchased Lindsay books on other
subjects (which subject(s) ?) and if they found them to be worthwhile
and why ?

http://www.lindsaybks.com/HomePage.html

jon

I've bought numberous books from Lindsay since 1982 (casting, machining,
Gingery books) and have always been happy with them.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Yea, I have bought a couple from them, and, really, would
kind of like to get several more. Good books, quick service, and
probably one of the most amusing catalogs that is being shipped
these days.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Cliff

On 12 Jul 2005 14:30:22 -0700, "jon_banquer"
wrote:

I recently purchased this book

Is it unfried?
--
Cliff
DoN. Nichols

In article . com,
jon_banquer wrote:
I recently purchased this book (still waiting for it to arrive)

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/armature/

I was wondering if others have purchased Lindsay books on other
subjects

Yes.

(which subject(s) ?)

Too many to try to list. Most were purchased at places like
Cabin Fever/Iron Fever, spur of the moment purchases.

and if they found them to be worthwhile
and why ?

They document a lot of things which would be otherwise lost.

Note that Lindsay does not *write* the books, and most of them
(other than the Gingery series on building a machine shop from junk) are
reprints of things long out of print and out of copyright. However,
these old books are an excellent match for the machine tools and
techniques which hobbists use most of the time, so they are an excellent
match. I actually have *original* copies of some of the books which he
reprints, so I have not bought the reprints. Not everybody can find the
old books, and the Linsay reprints tend to be more affordable than the
pricing for old books from old book sellers.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/HomePage.html

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Joe

Dave Mundt wrote:

Yea, I have bought a couple from them, and, really, would
kind of like to get several more. Good books, quick service, and
probably one of the most amusing catalogs that is being shipped
these days.

Yeah, especially now that Jerryco has passed from the hallowed ranks of
"great stuff, greater catalogs".

I've probably bought 15 - 20 of Lindsay's books (including the somewhat
pricey hardcover steam locomotives volume), and will buy more in the future,
if only that curmudgeon would quit dropping me from his mailing list after a
couple years of inactivity!

Joe

jon_banquer

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article . com,
jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

If there are too many to list how about 5 of your favorites and why
they are your favorites.

jon

jon_banquer

Gary Brady wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:
I recently purchased this book (still waiting for it to arrive)

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/armature/

I was wondering if others have purchased Lindsay books on other
subjects (which subject(s) ?) and if they found them to be worthwhile
and why ?

http://www.lindsaybks.com/HomePage.html

jon

I've bought numberous books from Lindsay since 1982 (casting, machining,
Gingery books) and have always been happy with them.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX

How about a list of 5 or your favorites and why they are your favorites
?

jon

jon_banquer

Joe wrote:
Dave Mundt wrote:

Yea, I have bought a couple from them, and, really, would
kind of like to get several more. Good books, quick service, and
probably one of the most amusing catalogs that is being shipped
these days.

Yeah, especially now that Jerryco has passed from the hallowed ranks of
"great stuff, greater catalogs".

I've probably bought 15 - 20 of Lindsay's books (including the somewhat
pricey hardcover steam locomotives volume), and will buy more in the future,
if only that curmudgeon would quit dropping me from his mailing list after a
couple years of inactivity!

Joe

How about five books that are your favorites and why they are your
favorites.

jon

DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
jon_banquer wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article . com,
jon_banquer wrote:
I recently purchased this book (still waiting for it to arrive)

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/armature/

I was wondering if others have purchased Lindsay books on other
subjects

[ ... ]

(which subject(s) ?)

Too many to try to list. Most were purchased at places like
Cabin Fever/Iron Fever, spur of the moment purchases.

[ ... ]

If there are too many to list how about 5 of your favorites and why
they are your favorites.

The problem is digging down to where they are. They are
scattered all over the place, and I'm not positive which were Lindsey
reprints and which might have been from someone else (if there is
someone else doing such reprints).

And I see that you've asked *everyone* for a list of five. I'm
bowing out, because it is too much work.

Besides -- some of his reprints go back out of print, so even if
I listed something which was of possible interest to you, there is no
certainty that it would still be available. You need to work from his
*current* list of titles, and see what covers topics of interest to you.

Ask me to describe how something works, and I'll be typing for
an hour. Ask me to dig up and list books, and I simply shrug it off.

Sorry,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
jon_banquer

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article .com,
jon_banquer wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article . com,
jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

I'm sure there are many perspectives and I would like to read them all.

"Ask me to dig up and list books, and I simply shrug it off."

Certainly your choice. Hopefully others will place a higher priority on
listing their five and some good info / discussion will come out of it.

One should do what they enjoy and if this is not enjoyable to you I see
no reason that you should do it rather than doing what you have stated
you enjoy ... describing how something works.

Got any good links for describing how a fan blade / a propeller works
or would you care to describe how they do and how they can be improved
?

jon

DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
jon_banquer wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:
In article .com,
jon_banquer wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Even though you haven't listed a range of interests which could
give some focus to possible lists.

"Ask me to dig up and list books, and I simply shrug it off."

Certainly your choice. Hopefully others will place a higher priority on
listing their five and some good info / discussion will come out of it.

One should do what they enjoy and if this is not enjoyable to you I see
no reason that you should do it rather than doing what you have stated
you enjoy ... describing how something works.

If you want an example and my hour's worth of such work for
today, look at my answer in the "How does a collet closer work?" thread.
I even built a quick-and-dirty web page to help illustrate things.

Got any good links for describing how a fan blade / a propeller works

I don't know about links, though a google search would probably
turn up quite a few. Search on terms such as Bernoulli effect, venturi,
airfoil, and the like.

There are probably some books in Lindsay's offerings which cover
that as well. I would probably not buy those books, just because they
cover something which I already know. It is things like learning more
ways to use machine tools which I like. And I believe that Lindsay has
reprinted some of the older books which I already had by Emanuele
Stieri, such as _Planers_, _Millers_, _Engine Lathe_, _Turret Lathes_
and _Shapers_. The ones which I have are from printings during WW-2 or
just a bit later. (Copyright dates that I find in them are 1943 and
1944.) I'm not sure how much of the series he has reprinted.

But there was a series of books from Germany, reprinted in
English, back around the late 1970s titled "How things work" which
covered that subject among others.

or would you care to describe how they do and how they can be improved

If I knew how they could be *improved*, I would be sitting back
and raking in money at this point. :-)

As for how they work -- for *good* ones it is the same principle
as the airfoil of an aircraft wing. For cheap fans, it is an
approximation of the proper shape with just bent metal, so it is not
particularly good -- but it costs little to make -- just stamped out,
instead of careful contouring to a specific design as a real aircraft
propeller would have.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
PrecisionMachinisT

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
.. :-)

As for how they work -- for *good* ones it is the same principle
as the airfoil of an aircraft wing. For cheap fans, it is an
approximation of the proper shape with just bent metal, so it is not
particularly good -- but it costs little to make -- just stamped out,
instead of careful contouring to a specific design as a real aircraft
propeller would have.

Never forget that a simple 'propellor' is nothing more than a simple
screw.........where things begin to get more complicated is when you start
into dealing with compressable fluids...eg..a boat propeller instead of a
fan blade.

--

SVL

Gary Brady

jon_banquer wrote:

I've bought numberous books from Lindsay since 1982 (casting, machining,
Gingery books) and have always been happy with them.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX

How about a list of 5 or your favorites and why they are your favorites
?

jon

"How to Run a Lathe" Very good basic lathe book by South Bend

"Prop Builder's Molding and Casting HandbooK"-An overstock item,
probably not now available. Has a chapter on building a vacuum forming
machine.

"The Charcoal Furnace" -Good basic info on metalcasting.

"Casting Aluminum", "Casting Iron", "Sandcaster's Handbook" all by C.W.
Ammen. All good foundry references, with specific information in each
respective book.

"Centrifigal Fans", "Crucible Furnace", "Building the metal Lathe",
"Building the Sheetmetal Brake", Building a Slip Roll", all by the
Gingerys. Very insightful ways to build tools when you don't have many
tools.

"Foundry work for the Amateur" by Terry Aspin, and "Sheetmetal Work" by
Dyer. Two books with uniquely British perspectives.

Future purchases: Pouring Babbitted Bearings and another babbitt book,
can't remember the title.

The only book I really didn't enjoy much was "Ornamental Metalcasting"
because everything in it had been covered in other books I had already read.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Cliff

On 14 Jul 2005 17:54:09 -0700, "jon_banquer"
wrote:

One should

Learn how to properly post after all these years.
Idiot.
--
Cliff

Cliff

wrote:

Got any good links for describing how a fan blade / a propeller works

Place on head pointed bit up.

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/Merch...01/535full.jpg
HTH
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:28:11 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"
wrote:

Never forget that a simple 'propellor' is nothing more than a simple
screw.........

There is lift to be considered.
The simple sheet metal ones differ I think G.
--
Cliff
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote:

Never forget that a simple 'propellor' is nothing more than a simple
screw.........

There is lift to be considered.
The simple sheet metal ones differ I think G.

Cliff is right. A water propellor, better known as a screw, IS a screw. It
works in an incompressible medium.

But an air propeller is better viewed as (and actually IS) two wings
operating in rotary fashion.

LLoyd

Joe

My 5 most favorite Lindsay books? Geez, that's a tall order! I don't have them at
hand, and don't remember everything I've bought over the past 15 years. One would
certainly be the aforementioned book on steam locomotives (don't remember the
title, but was only available as a $50 hardback; it was written by an engineer -
design, not engine driver - around 1894). It gave lots of information on SOTA in
steam power. Top of the list would be "Procedures In Experimental Physics" (by
Strong?). It details techniques such as polishing optics, building test and
measurement systems, vacuum work (a favorite); stuff that is now handled by
throwing big bux at off-the-shelf systems. Most of Lindsay's books have that sort
of value - how to do it yourself, from the days when that was the only way to get
it done.

Others:
A book on Neon Processing
South Bend Lathe book
Old (1920s) radios

They have several other good books that I've not ordered because I already own
original copies.

What is "good" depends more on *your* interests. If the topic interests you, try
the book. They're cheap (usually) and Lindsay even accepts returns.

Joe

(or are you fishing for people who admit to having bought books on explosives and
such, so HS can root out the "turrists" and "evildoerssssssssss"?)

jon_banquer wrote:

Joe wrote:

I've probably bought 15 - 20 of Lindsay's books (including the somewhat
pricey hardcover steam locomotives volume), and will buy more in the future,
if only that curmudgeon would quit dropping me from his mailing list after a
couple years of inactivity!

Joe

How about five books that are your favorites and why they are your
favorites.

jon

Cliff

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:36:20 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Never forget that a simple 'propellor' is nothing more than a simple
screw.........

There is lift to be considered.
The simple sheet metal ones differ I think G.

Cliff is right. A water propellor, better known as a screw, IS a screw. It
works in an incompressible medium.

Well, actually, the effect is similar even in water.
http://mb-soft.com/public2/lift.html

But an air propeller is better viewed as (and actually IS) two wings
operating in rotary fashion.

Same for an N bladed propeller, in water or air. Or turbine
blades or .... http://www.aero-motion.com/prod02.htm
I used to buy these by the gross as gifts for kids &
adults .... highly suggested G. They consider a gross
a wholesale sale last I knew.
Mix & match to a point but the plain, uncolored wooden
ones are best by far IMHO. Better surface finish, airfoil,
wood quality, IIRC. A bit of hand work to one & off you
go.
Keep away from jb.
--
Cliff

Mike Fields

wrote:

Got any good links for describing how a fan blade / a propeller works

Place on head pointed bit up.

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/Merch...01/535full.jpg
HTH
--
Cliff

Is that your hat Cliff ??

Permit for finished basement req. electrical and Plumbing test...What books to read? [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 13th 05 03:52 PM
Old Books J T Woodworking 16 February 14th 05 06:06 PM
INSTRUCTIONS - Finding Books J T Woodworking 10 January 14th 05 02:28 AM
OT=Sea Changes in the Media Gunner Metalworking 47 November 20th 03 01:27 PM
Survival books that are out of print - anyone willing to scan some? Gunner Metalworking 1 October 14th 03 03:11 PM