Pete Keillor

Default Road Trip Report (long)

Just got back yesterday from a two week trip. We took my oldest son
to a summer camp for handicapped folks in Catoctin Mountain Park in
Maryland (we live in Michigan). We visited some friends in PA, spent
a few days in NYC, visited my sister in CT, spent a few nights in
Southwest Harbor, Maine, right next to the original Hinckley yard, now
their repair yard. It was fun watching the beehive of activity. The
weather sucked, being very foggy, not unusual I suspect that time of
the year. Then on to Nova Scotia to watch the tides in the Minas
Basin. I've wanted to see the Bay of Fundy since I was a kid. The
tides were fascinating in their tremendous range. The area we visited
on the north shore is sparsely populated, with lots of wildlife.
While driving to Port Greville to visit a shipbuilding museum, we saw
a grey fox, some sort of hare, and a wolf. Later we had to brake for
a moose calf.

Does anyone know what the strange antenna array is northeast of the
road near the New Brunswick - Nova Scotia border?

Finally we started the return trip. One day to Gorham, NH, then the
next to Lake Saranac, NY, next to Gettysburg, PA to be ready to pick
up my son, then home to Midland Michigan yesterday. I doubt I'll get
the wife to make another trip like that anytime soon, but we'd like to
fly back to NS sometime and visit Halifax.

[METAL CONTENT]
One of the best parts of the trip for me was the visit to the American
Precision Museum in Windsor, VT. Thanks to this group for discussing
this museum, which alerted me to its existence. It's full of machine
tools dating from as early as the 1840's, especially Jones and Lamson
stuff. Also included is an incredible display of models of production
machine tools created by one individual whose name I don't recall
although it's documented in photos on the laptop, the original (serial
no. 1) Bridgeport, and rifle manufacturing equipment. The German
modelmaker spent 40,000 hours producing the models by his estimate.

If any of you get within a state or two, you should definitely visit
this museum.

Pete Keillor

Nick Müller

Pete Keillor wrote:

Also included is an incredible display of models of production
machine tools created by one individual

Any chance to see the picture?

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Pete Keillor

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:20:21 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Just got back yesterday from a two week trip. We took my oldest son
to a summer camp for handicapped folks in Catoctin Mountain Park in
Maryland (we live in Michigan). We visited some friends in PA, spent
a few days in NYC, visited my sister in CT, spent a few nights in
Southwest Harbor, Maine, right next to the original Hinckley yard, now
their repair yard. It was fun watching the beehive of activity.

If you had announced your plans beforehand I might have
been able to get you in the door. The service manager is an
old friend.

I hope you made it to the Jonesport Wood Co. in Hulls Cove
while you were on MDI.

snip

No, I didn't visit any boat builders. We were moving pretty quickly
on this trip. I intend to go back for longer visits to several of the
places we visited. I'll keep in mind your offer if we go back to MDI.

Does anyone know what the strange antenna array is northeast of the
road near the New Brunswick - Nova Scotia border?

Radio Canada International. The actual location is
Sackville NB. Googling - sackville NB antenna RCI - turned
this up...

http://www.rcinet.ca/rci/en/qui_historique_4.shtml

Ned Simmons

Ahh. Thanks for the info.

Pete

Errol Groff

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:32:00 -0400, Pete Keillor
wrote:

Just got back yesterday from a two week trip. We took my oldest son
to a summer camp for handicapped folks in Catoctin Mountain Park in
Maryland (we live in Michigan). We visited some friends in PA, spent
a few days in NYC, visited my sister in CT, spent a few nights in
Southwest Harbor, Maine, right next to the original Hinckley yard, now

So. You were in CT and didn't stop by and say Hi. A fine thing!

If you go back to MDI be sure to visit Hulls Cove Tool Barn between
Ellsworth and Bar Harbor. Very cool place.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department

H.H. Ellis Technical High School
643 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

Pete Keillor

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 09:21:04 +0200, (Nick Müller)
wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:

Also included is an incredible display of models of production
machine tools created by one individual

Any chance to see the picture?

Nick

Yup. There are some photos on American Precision Museum's website
http://www.americanprecision.org/ under collections - scale models. I
posted a few of my photos in the dropbox. Text from Aschauer.txt
follows:

These photos were taken in the American Precision Museum,
Windsor, Vermont. There is much more to see there. If
you have a chance, I highly recommend a visit.

The photos a

http://metalworking.com/DropBox/Aschauer00.jpg Text card from display
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/Aschauer01.jpg Wide view of 1st
display case
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/Aschauer02.jpg Closeup of lathes
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/Aschauer03.jpg Closeup of block
boring machine
http://metalworking.com/DropBox/Aschauer04.jpg HiRes of multi-spindle
machines

These are some of the best models I've ever seen, and if
you visit the museum, you can push the go button and watch
them run.

PS. When you push the run button and all the little belts go into
action, all those spindles on the multi-spindle turn in unison.

Regards,

Pete Keillor
Mike Henry

wrote:

Pete Keillor wrote:

[...]

Thos are really incredible, not only the detail in each, but also the number
of models he built. Thanks for posting.

Nick Müller

Pete Keillor wrote:

These are some of the best models I've ever seen, and if

Thank you for posting the pictures!
Wonderful, Incredible!
This nearly makes me cry.

Thanks again for these terrific pictures,
Nick