Dave Plowman

Default Electric trip problem.

In article ,
Robert wrote:
I have a 30ma earth leakage trip that is tripping every time a
significant load (about 3KW) is applied to the "downstairs" ring main.
The immersion heater will always trip it, the dishwasher in heat mode
will usually trip it and I have seen daft things like the fridge trip
it. Note that if the dishwasher is plugged into a different circuit
but with all other appliances remaining 'as-is' the device won't trip.
This doesn't make any sense to me as the trip is seeing the same load
(and fault) regardless of which circuit is carrying the load.

It's earth leakage from the heating elements in the immersion and or
dishwasher - fairly common, I'm afraid. The fridge may have a small amount
due to RF interference suppression, and might just top up the amount
needed to trip the ELCB.

Changing to an RCCD might well cure the problem, or could you re-wire the
immersion to a non protected circuit - there's no need for it to be so
protected, IMHO.

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Robert

Check if you have any outside lights which are non plastic these are also
prone to operate a trip at intermittent times depending if it is raining.
"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Dave Plowman wrote in message

In article ,
Robert wrote:
I have a 30ma earth leakage trip that is tripping every time a
significant load (about 3KW) is applied to the "downstairs" ring main.
The immersion heater will always trip it, the dishwasher in heat mode
will usually trip it and I have seen daft things like the fridge trip
it. Note that if the dishwasher is plugged into a different circuit
but with all other appliances remaining 'as-is' the device won't trip.
This doesn't make any sense to me as the trip is seeing the same load
(and fault) regardless of which circuit is carrying the load.

Hi

Sounds like cumulative fault currents tripping it. First thing I'd do
is PAT test your appliances, especially the ones with water heating
elements in.

Regards, NT

Ade

Robert wrote:

Electric trip problem.

Hi, any ideas on the following.

I have a mains wiring problem on one circuit in the house. Note fuses
and separate trip not MCB's, house and wiring late 1980's.

I have a 30ma earth leakage trip that is tripping every time a
significant load (about 3KW) is applied to the "downstairs" ring main.
The immersion heater will always trip it, the dishwasher in heat mode
will usually trip it and I have seen daft things like the fridge trip
it. Note that if the dishwasher is plugged into a different circuit
but with all other appliances remaining 'as-is' the device won't trip.
This doesn't make any sense to me as the trip is seeing the same load
(and fault) regardless of which circuit is carrying the load.

Rusty nail through a cable bridging neutral & earth, or bare & tarnished
earth wire contacting neutral in the back or a socket, or some other
high-ish resistance neutral-earth connection on the affected circuit? Or
maybe the other circuit you plugged the dishwasher into isn't properly
earthed and the fault is with the dishwasher?

I bought a Maplin socket and RCD tester. The trip trips at a setting
of 25ma with no significant appliances running but this reduced to
10-15 ma as the circuit is loaded with say 2kw.

I have tested the resistance of the circuit with everything unplugged
or isolated and get around 1Mohm. this seems to consistent with the
other circuits.

Although 1 MOhm is within the Regs, generally anything less than 2 MOhms
could suggest a fault developing if the test was done using a proper
insulation resistance meter, a normal multimeter doesn't test with
sufficiently high voltage. Having said that, I wonder what the
resistance of a rusty nail would be? Also, did you disconnect neutral &
earth from the CU before taking the reading? I'm a bit puzzled that you
got that consistently low a reading for all circuits, yet you're not
seeing problems on other circuits.

As I load the circuit I can measure 20-100 mv between neutral and
earth.
The earth tag is bonded both to the Gas main and to the electric
company's main fuse 'block'
There doesn't seem to be any bonding between neutral and earth. This
is strange, as I would have expected it?

Depends on your earthing arrangements, for a TT (local earth rod only)
supply there isn't any bonding between earth & neutral, although if the
earth is connected to the company's earth terminal then this suggests
TN-S or TN-C-S, in which case I certainly wouldn't expect anything like
1 MOhm between earth & neutral. Sounds as if the earth-neutral bond has
come adrift, or it's actually a TT supply but the elec. supplier has
used the wrong kind of incomer for installation. But having said that,
your RCD trips when tested with an independent device, so it would seem
you're getting an earth from somewhere. Wierd...

Does anyone have any experience of this type of problem and how to
sort it?

I reckon you really need to do or have done some proper tests on your
installation - insulation resistance & earthing for starters...

HTH

Venturi shower pressure problem Mark Trueman UK diy 0 July 19th 03 11:19 AM
Electric shower drips Rick Dipper UK diy 5 July 14th 03 05:13 PM
electric shower doesn't run cold - - advice please! Andrea UK diy 4 July 12th 03 07:59 AM
Electric Shower problem Jase UK diy 1 July 6th 03 12:59 PM
Is my electric shower about to fail? BigWallop UK diy 2 July 5th 03 01:57 AM