mike

Default disassembly of cement mixer?

I just bought an old Wards concrete mixer, probably around 5 or 6 cu. ft.,
heavy metal construction, everything is there and it turns. BUT...when the
barrel turns it squeals a lot. I have added grease through a zerk but no
help, I tried to take what looks like a cap on the inside of the drum from
the shaft but it doesn't seem to want to come off. I tried prying and using
a slide hammer but no luck. I put some Kroyl on it a few min. ago and will
try the slide hammer again in a little while. Do any of you fine people know
exactly how this thing is supposed to come apart? I'm pretty sure that I am
doing it right, I expect to pull the cap off and find a nut that holds the
drum onto the shaft. Am I missing anything?

Thanks
Mike

--
N 32° 20.837’
W111° 00.583’

Ken Sterling

[...]

Hard to tell without seeing both the inside and outside, but the cap
is probably part of the shaft and is probably welded to the inside of
the drum, shaft sticking out the back with either a pulley or sprocket
mounted on the shaft with a keyway/setscrews/drivepin/shearbolt for
attachment. Probably have to remove the pulley/sprocket from the end
of the shaft then slide the barrel/drum with the shaft out of the
bushing it rides in.
HTH
Ken.

mike

I couldn't get the "cap" off the end of the spindle even with a slide
hammer. I took the zerk off the end of the barrel where it attaches to the
shaft and it was so clogged with cement that it wouldn't open, cleaned it
out and replaced it and pumped grease into it and wa-la, grease came out
from around the cap on the inside of the barrel; problem fixed, no squeals!
Lubed the drive shaft and gears and it runs smooth and quiet. Took the power
washer to it and most of the caked on cement (maybe 50 yrs. worth) came off
and it looks and works good. Not bad for a $100 investment.

Mike

Manual cement mixer? Lobster UK diy 15 May 26th 05 03:35 PM
inverter for cement mixer? legin UK diy 27 March 16th 05 09:06 AM
Petrol Cement Mixer - which fuel to use? Shabs UK diy 4 November 12th 04 05:20 PM
Wanted: Cement Mixer Me UK diy 0 March 29th 04 11:06 PM
Homemade cement mixer? Robert Olin Metalworking 2 November 29th 03 12:21 PM