Lobster

Default Manual cement mixer?

Ages ago I remember seeing a sort-of manual cement mixer; can't recall
details as I wasn't particulary interested at the time, but I think it
was a drum with mixing vanes that you rolled about on the ground or
something?

Just that these days I find myself mixing smallish quantities fairly
often; can't really justify buying a proper mixer and haven't got the
storage room anyway (I do one-day hires from HSS when needed).
Advancing age means it's increasingly hard on the old back, and I'm
looking for a better long-term solution.

Does anyone know if these things are any good, and if they are still
around? (my guess is "no" and therefore, "no" but just wondered!)

David
[news]

Lobster wrote:
Ages ago I remember seeing a sort-of manual cement mixer; can't recall
details as I wasn't particulary interested at the time, but I think it
was a drum with mixing vanes that you rolled about on the ground or
something?

Just that these days I find myself mixing smallish quantities fairly
often; can't really justify buying a proper mixer and haven't got the
storage room anyway (I do one-day hires from HSS when needed).
Advancing age means it's increasingly hard on the old back, and I'm
looking for a better long-term solution.

Does anyone know if these things are any good, and if they are still
around? (my guess is "no" and therefore, "no" but just wondered!)

David

cheap £20 1000w drill from one of the sheds and a mixing basket
on a stick type thing, large bucket and a bucket trowel.

RT

Ali Mac

"[news]" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
Ages ago I remember seeing a sort-of manual cement mixer; can't recall
details as I wasn't particulary interested at the time, but I think it
was a drum with mixing vanes that you rolled about on the ground or
something?
SNIP

I have just ordered one, but haven't got it yet. They're called ODJOB mixers
and they look great. They take up to a bag of plaster or sand/cement and
there's a table so that you can add the exact amount of water. Then you roll
it on the ground for a minute and it's all mixed. That's the theory anyway.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Alistair

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Ali Mac" writes:
I have just ordered one, but haven't got it yet. They're called ODJOB mixers
and they look great. They take up to a bag of plaster or sand/cement and
there's a table so that you can add the exact amount of water. Then you roll
it on the ground for a minute and it's all mixed. That's the theory anyway.
I'll let you know how I get on.

Ideally, you arrange all your jobs at the bottom of a long hill ;-)
I've got this mental picture of cement mixer drums bouncing down the road...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Ali Mac wrote:
"[news]" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
Ages ago I remember seeing a sort-of manual cement mixer; can't recall
details as I wasn't particulary interested at the time, but I think it
was a drum with mixing vanes that you rolled about on the ground or
something?
SNIP

I have just ordered one, but haven't got it yet. They're called ODJOB mixers
and they look great. They take up to a bag of plaster or sand/cement and
there's a table so that you can add the exact amount of water. Then you roll
it on the ground for a minute and it's all mixed.

Sounds like ideal work for the hoodies doing community service.

MBQ

Grunff

Lobster wrote:

Just that these days I find myself mixing smallish quantities fairly
often; can't really justify buying a proper mixer and haven't got the
storage room anyway (I do one-day hires from HSS when needed). Advancing
age means it's increasingly hard on the old back, and I'm looking for a
better long-term solution.

We bought a B&Q mixer for £200 about 4 years ago. It's been used for
several building projects. It's lived outside throughout. Only just
starting to rust now.

I'd strongly recommend one. Second hand ones (including ours!) can be
had for not very much money, and there's always a corner somewhere where
it can be tucked away.

--
Grunff
Chris Bacon

Lobster wrote:
Does anyone know if these things are any good, and if they are still
around? (my guess is "no" and therefore, "no" but just wondered!)

Need a decent area like a driveway to roll them, not easy to roll. Hard
on the back or foot. "Roll for 30 secs". Hm. Translates to at least 5
mins. IRL. I have occasionally used a 10L or 10L paint tub to do the
same thing. Not mad keen on 'em.
Lawrence Zarb

They are selling them on Ebay £24.95

Ian Stirling

Chris Bacon wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Does anyone know if these things are any good, and if they are still
around? (my guess is "no" and therefore, "no" but just wondered!)

Need a decent area like a driveway to roll them, not easy to roll. Hard
on the back or foot. "Roll for 30 secs". Hm. Translates to at least 5
mins. IRL. I have occasionally used a 10L or 10L paint tub to do the
same thing. Not mad keen on 'em.

If "Roll for 30 secs" was real, you'd see the mechanism in at least some
powered concrete mixers.
Properly incorporating all the stuff with a minimum of water takes a fair
bit of energy.
John Rumm

Lobster wrote:

Does anyone know if these things are any good, and if they are still
around? (my guess is "no" and therefore, "no" but just wondered!)

I have one.... to be fair it sort of works, but it is not that good.
Might be ok for small mixes, but once it is half full it is a bugger to
get it to roll at all (its tendancy is to slide).

You will get better results with a mixing paddle on the end of a slow
speed drill.

--
Cheers,

John.

Peter Andrews

"Lobster" wrote in message
Ages ago I remember seeing a sort-of manual cement mixer; can't recall
details as I wasn't particulary interested at the time, but I think it was
a drum with mixing vanes that you rolled about on the ground or something?

Just that these days I find myself mixing smallish quantities fairly
often; can't really justify buying a proper mixer and haven't got the
storage room anyway (I do one-day hires from HSS when needed). Advancing
age means it's increasingly hard on the old back, and I'm looking for a
better long-term solution.

Does anyone know if these things are any good, and if they are still
around? (my guess is "no" and therefore, "no" but just wondered!)

David

I bought one about 20 years ago, it's only been used once - more trouble
than it's worth. I think it must be in the shed somewhere....

Peter

Mike Halmarack

On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:19:44 GMT, "Peter Andrews"
wrote:

"Lobster" wrote in message
Ages ago I remember seeing a sort-of manual cement mixer; can't recall
details as I wasn't particulary interested at the time, but I think it was
a drum with mixing vanes that you rolled about on the ground or something?

Just that these days I find myself mixing smallish quantities fairly
often; can't really justify buying a proper mixer and haven't got the
storage room anyway (I do one-day hires from HSS when needed). Advancing
age means it's increasingly hard on the old back, and I'm looking for a
better long-term solution.

Does anyone know if these things are any good, and if they are still
around? (my guess is "no" and therefore, "no" but just wondered!)

David

I bought one about 20 years ago, it's only been used once - more trouble
than it's worth.

Some people say that about the violin. If you were of a more positive
disposition you'd join the practitioners who are now rotating this
type of mixer by walking on it whilst juggling with 5 lump hammers.

I think it must be in the shed somewhere....

Now's your chance.

Peter

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 25 May 2005 13:30:05 GMT, "[news]" wrote:

cheap £20 1000w drill from one of the sheds

£100 slow Kress drill from Wickes. Cheap drills are too fast for this,
and don't have the torque.

Ian Stirling wrote:

If "Roll for 30 secs" was real, you'd see the mechanism in at least some
powered concrete mixers.
Properly incorporating all the stuff with a minimum of water takes a fair
bit of energy.

I always wondered why no-one made a =A315 powered cement mixer,
consisting of a tilted big plastic bucket with 2 wood strips glued down
the inside, supported on a bearing, driven by a belt from your drill.
Just stick drill in, slip belt on, run for 5-10 mins to get a good mix.
Small batches ideal for pointing etc, low price ideal for the
oddjobber.

NT

Steve Walker

Ali Mac wrote:
"[news]" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
Ages ago I remember seeing a sort-of manual cement mixer; can't
recall details as I wasn't particulary interested at the time,
but I think it was a drum with mixing vanes that you rolled
about on the ground or something?
SNIP

I have just ordered one, but haven't got it yet. They're called
ODJOB mixers and they look great. They take up to a bag of
plaster or sand/cement and there's a table so that you can add
the exact amount of water. Then you roll it on the ground for a
minute and it's all mixed. That's the theory anyway. I'll let you
know how I get on.

I very rarely use ours, it's been a disappointment. Needs a long flat
surface to roll on, or it's hard work. Also needs an accurate judge of the
mix, because opening and reclosing quickly clogs the threads. I generally
shovel-mix small batches in a wheelbarrow now.

Steve Walker

Mike Halmarack wrote:

Some people say that about the violin. If you were of a more
positive disposition you'd join the practitioners who are now
rotating this type of mixer by walking on it whilst juggling
with 5 lump hammers.

)

inverter for cement mixer? legin UK diy 27 March 16th 05 09:06 AM
Petrol Cement Mixer - which fuel to use? Shabs UK diy 4 November 12th 04 05:20 PM
Wanted: Cement Mixer Me UK diy 0 March 29th 04 11:06 PM
Homemade cement mixer? Robert Olin Metalworking 2 November 29th 03 12:21 PM
Be careful when dealing with Machine Manual Services Kory Hamzeh Metalworking 8 November 15th 03 04:21 PM