Grant Erwin

Default shop press feet -- casters?

I have a little 20 ton H-frame shop press. It would press just fine hanging from
a loop, i.e. it doesn't rely on the ground any. However, it wasn't made with
feet, and I'm not OK with something that can fall over. So I'm designing feet. I
want to be able to move it, so I'm going to dig into my caster stock and put it
on casters. What I want to know is, is there any reason it can't stay on casters
full time, or should I fuss with some sort of retractable caster arrangement?

GWE
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:30:29 -0700, the opaque Grant Erwin
spake:

I have a little 20 ton H-frame shop press. It would press just fine hanging from
a loop, i.e. it doesn't rely on the ground any. However, it wasn't made with
feet, and I'm not OK with something that can fall over. So I'm designing feet. I
want to be able to move it, so I'm going to dig into my caster stock and put it
on casters. What I want to know is, is there any reason it can't stay on casters
full time, or should I fuss with some sort of retractable caster arrangement?

Unless you have long feetsies on it, when you're really cranking down
on the handle to press a 19.999 ton tight-fit combo together, it'll
tend to roll/slip out on you. I'd go retractable if it were mine.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals -
http://diversify.com Web App & Database Programming
Grant Erwin

Larry Jaques wrote:

Unless you have long feetsies on it, when you're really cranking down
on the handle to press a 19.999 ton tight-fit combo together, it'll
tend to roll/slip out on you. I'd go retractable if it were mine.

Ah, the voice of experience. Just whom I wanted to connect with. Thanks, and
will do!

Grant

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:30:29 -0700, the opaque Grant Erwin
spake:

I have a little 20 ton H-frame shop press. It would press just fine hanging from
a loop, i.e. it doesn't rely on the ground any. However, it wasn't made with
feet, and I'm not OK with something that can fall over. So I'm designing feet. I
want to be able to move it, so I'm going to dig into my caster stock and put it
on casters. What I want to know is, is there any reason it can't stay on casters
full time, or should I fuss with some sort of retractable caster arrangement?

John

Would a combination of casters and screw-down feet work? I put two
screw-down feet on the front of my table-saw's mobile base to keep it
from moving when I am pushing stock through the blade. The saw isn't
perfectly level when the feet are lowered, but it's not an issue for me.

Grant Erwin

John wrote:

Would a combination of casters and screw-down feet work? I put two
screw-down feet on the front of my table-saw's mobile base to keep it
from moving when I am pushing stock through the blade. The saw isn't
perfectly level when the feet are lowered, but it's not an issue for me.

Lots of things would work. However, this time I'm thinking of mounting square
tubing exactly beneath the feet. The casters would be mounted to the tubing. The
tubing would be hinged so I can lift up a side and flip the wheels up and set
the press down on its foot, then do the other end. Two casters fixed, two
swivel. I've got 4 heavy stainless hinges left over from a shop remodel that I
want to stop finding a place to store, and I've got all the metal in my scrap
rack, plus 4 5" casters. As I've often said, the older I get the larger is the
diameter of the casters I use! :-)

I'll post pix when I'm done, probably.

Grant

Steve Peterson

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I have a little 20 ton H-frame shop press. It would press just fine hanging
from a loop, i.e. it doesn't rely on the ground any. However, it wasn't
made with feet, and I'm not OK with something that can fall over. So I'm
designing feet. I want to be able to move it, so I'm going to dig into my
caster stock and put it on casters. What I want to know is, is there any
reason it can't stay on casters full time, or should I fuss with some sort
of retractable caster arrangement?

GWE

Instead of casters on quite a few if my machines I have mounted wheels on
one end and when I need to move them I either tip the machine onto the
wheels or I have made a dolly that I slip under the unwheeled end. Works
for me.
Steve

R. O'Brian

My 15 ton sits on 4 swivel casters with toe-brakes. The feet are 3' long
and the casters are at the ends which puts them at the corners of a 3 ft.
square. Very stable and easy to move.

Randy

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I have a little 20 ton H-frame shop press. It would press just fine

hanging from
a loop, i.e. it doesn't rely on the ground any. However, it wasn't made

with
feet, and I'm not OK with something that can fall over. So I'm designing

feet. I
want to be able to move it, so I'm going to dig into my caster stock and

put it
on casters. What I want to know is, is there any reason it can't stay on

casters
full time, or should I fuss with some sort of retractable caster

arrangement?

GWE

Grant Erwin

R. O'Brian wrote:
My 15 ton sits on 4 swivel casters with toe-brakes. The feet are 3' long
and the casters are at the ends which puts them at the corners of a 3 ft.
square. Very stable and easy to move.

Yes, but space-inefficient. Mine is also 3' wide but I'm only going to use 20"
feet. If it falls over I may regret it. :-)

GWE

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

I have a little 20 ton H-frame shop press. It would press just fine

hanging from

a loop, i.e. it doesn't rely on the ground any. However, it wasn't made

with

feet, and I'm not OK with something that can fall over. So I'm designing

feet. I

want to be able to move it, so I'm going to dig into my caster stock and

put it

on casters. What I want to know is, is there any reason it can't stay on

casters

full time, or should I fuss with some sort of retractable caster

arrangement?

GWE

My table saw is set up like that. I found that the hinged caster plate
should hook to the base so it doesn't flip out when a wheel hits
something. You could put fixed feet under it as well so you don't have
to tip it very far to toe-flip the casters in or out.

There is one fixed and one swivel caster on each plate, with the fixed
caster aligned toward the swivel one so it prevents the saw from
rolling sideways when I lift the other side.

Jim Wilkins

Grant Erwin

Grant Erwin wrote:
I have a little 20 ton H-frame shop press. It would press just fine
hanging from a loop, i.e. it doesn't rely on the ground any. However, it
wasn't made with feet, and I'm not OK with something that can fall over.
So I'm designing feet. I want to be able to move it, so I'm going to dig
into my caster stock and put it on casters. What I want to know is, is
there any reason it can't stay on casters full time, or should I fuss
with some sort of retractable caster arrangement?

I finished the feet. I used 4 beefy old steel hinges (might be stainless) left
over from a remodel, and a bunch of scrounged or scrap steel to make the feet,
along with 4 5" casters, two of which are swivel. I used angle iron for the feet
themselves (2x2x¼") and these are hinged to 2" square tubing. Caster mount
plates are attached to the bottom of the tubing. Lot of fiddly cutting,
drilling, tapping and welding. The casters swing out of the way when I want the
press to sit solidly, or I pick up one end at a time and set it down on the
casters. Once up, the caster assembly does have to be clamped when moving, or
the whole shebang comes down. I found this out the hard way, but no harm done.

The 5" casters have very little rolling resistance. They are in fact a bit too
big for this application, but they were free, and taking up space.

I can post pictures if anyone wants.

BTW the hinge screws were 12-24, one of the few sizes I didn't have a tap for!
So my budget for this project (adding feet) actually was about $10 to buy a set
of 3 taps.

It's sure nice to be able to move this thing around.

Grant

20 ton shop press - useful? Grant Erwin Metalworking 8 June 18th 05 05:03 PM
Beginner's Projects Jeff Metalworking 9 June 10th 05 03:25 AM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 02:54 AM
Drill Press Table suggestions Brian D. LaVoie Woodworking 2 August 21st 03 03:16 AM
Shop Power keith bowers Metalworking 24 August 1st 03 06:18 AM