Grant Erwin

Grant Erwin wrote:
I have a little 20 ton H-frame shop press. It would press just fine
hanging from a loop, i.e. it doesn't rely on the ground any. However, it
wasn't made with feet, and I'm not OK with something that can fall over.
So I'm designing feet. I want to be able to move it, so I'm going to dig
into my caster stock and put it on casters. What I want to know is, is
there any reason it can't stay on casters full time, or should I fuss
with some sort of retractable caster arrangement?

I finished the feet. I used 4 beefy old steel hinges (might be stainless) left
over from a remodel, and a bunch of scrounged or scrap steel to make the feet,
along with 4 5" casters, two of which are swivel. I used angle iron for the feet
themselves (2x2x¼") and these are hinged to 2" square tubing. Caster mount
plates are attached to the bottom of the tubing. Lot of fiddly cutting,
drilling, tapping and welding. The casters swing out of the way when I want the
press to sit solidly, or I pick up one end at a time and set it down on the
casters. Once up, the caster assembly does have to be clamped when moving, or
the whole shebang comes down. I found this out the hard way, but no harm done.

The 5" casters have very little rolling resistance. They are in fact a bit too
big for this application, but they were free, and taking up space.

I can post pictures if anyone wants.

BTW the hinge screws were 12-24, one of the few sizes I didn't have a tap for!
So my budget for this project (adding feet) actually was about $10 to buy a set
of 3 taps.

It's sure nice to be able to move this thing around.

Grant