PrecisionMachinisT

Default Pto tiller question

I have an old pto tiller from a Ford LGT tractor, and I want to perhaps
adapt it for use on my Kubota, but not sure what the shaft speed was on the
Ford......pretty sure it was much faster than the 550 and 800 rpms that are
available on the Kubota...

If anyone knows offhand or has one that runs off 550 and or 880 rpms and
could perhaps check it and let me know what the usual reduction ratio from
the shaft on out to the tines would be for your typical pto drive tiller it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--

SVL

Moray Cuthill

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message
I have an old pto tiller from a Ford LGT tractor, and I want to perhaps
adapt it for use on my Kubota, but not sure what the shaft speed was on
the
Ford......pretty sure it was much faster than the 550 and 800 rpms that
are
available on the Kubota...

If anyone knows offhand or has one that runs off 550 and or 880 rpms and
could perhaps check it and let me know what the usual reduction ratio from
the shaft on out to the tines would be for your typical pto drive tiller
it
would be greatly appreciated.

The standard PTO shaft speeds for tractors are 540 and 1000rpm (with 1000
being for relatively modern tractors), so I'd guess the tiller should work
off 540rpm.

I thought the kubota 880 speed was mainly for the kubota mower?

Richard Smith

the two standard PTO speeds are 540 and 1000 ( actually 1080, I think).
The splines are different so you can't interchange them. I would
suspect that your tiller is meant to run at 540. If your tiller will
connect to your tractor you are probably OK.

You might check with your Kubota dealer just to make sure that your
tractor isn't some odd-ball.

Richard
In Central NY

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
I have an old pto tiller from a Ford LGT tractor, and I want to perhaps
adapt it for use on my Kubota, but not sure what the shaft speed was on the
Ford......pretty sure it was much faster than the 550 and 800 rpms that are
available on the Kubota...

If anyone knows offhand or has one that runs off 550 and or 880 rpms and
could perhaps check it and let me know what the usual reduction ratio from
the shaft on out to the tines would be for your typical pto drive tiller it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--

SVL

The Bald Ass Prairie Farm

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message
I have an old pto tiller from a Ford LGT tractor, and I want to perhaps
adapt it for use on my Kubota, but not sure what the shaft speed was on

the
Ford......pretty sure it was much faster than the 550 and 800 rpms that

are
available on the Kubota...

If anyone knows offhand or has one that runs off 550 and or 880 rpms and
could perhaps check it and let me know what the usual reduction ratio from
the shaft on out to the tines would be for your typical pto drive tiller

it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

For what it's worth, the tiller on my Kubota runs at 550 rpm

Richard

Bushy Pete

"The Bald Ass Prairie Farm planet.net" rosielle@telusnojunk wrote in
message news:iRwve.77245$HI.34526@edtnps84...

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message
I have an old pto tiller from a Ford LGT tractor, and I want to perhaps
adapt it for use on my Kubota, but not sure what the shaft speed was on

the
Ford......pretty sure it was much faster than the 550 and 800 rpms that

are
available on the Kubota...

If anyone knows offhand or has one that runs off 550 and or 880 rpms and
could perhaps check it and let me know what the usual reduction ratio

from
the shaft on out to the tines would be for your typical pto drive tiller

it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

For what it's worth, the tiller on my Kubota runs at 550 rpm

Richard

Doesn't really much mater, you won't normally run your tractor through the
dirt at maximum rpm anyway, so the engine speed at maximum 550 pto rpm
rather than 540 rpm will only be about 40 rpm more. Most of the time you
will be running at a nice conservative rpm to prolong the life of the
equipment and tractor.

Hope this helps,
Peter

Greg O

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message
"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply
wrote:

How many horses does your Kubota have? You need a MINIMUM of one PTO
horse
per inch of tiller width. These things are Hp. hogs.

Karl

I've seen this rule of thumb before, still don't understand it, though
it probably depends on the soil. Maybe if you are tilling concrete...

I have no trouble at all tilling at max depth using my Woods 52"
tiller and Kubota B2400, 18 PTO hp.

I wonder too! I few walk behind tillers with 15 - 20 HP!!
Greg

Steve W.

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message
I have an old pto tiller from a Ford LGT tractor, and I want to

perhaps
adapt it for use on my Kubota, but not sure what the shaft speed was

on the
Ford......pretty sure it was much faster than the 550 and 800 rpms

that are
available on the Kubota...

If anyone knows offhand or has one that runs off 550 and or 880 rpms

and
could perhaps check it and let me know what the usual reduction ratio

from
the shaft on out to the tines would be for your typical pto drive

tiller it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--

SVL

You would be correct. If it is off of a LGT it would have been a 2000
RPM PTO. Same as most Garden tractors of that size. That is the same
speed as the Cub Cadet Super Garden tractors, The John Deere 400-500
series, The Toro and Simplicities that had rear PTO were the same. Very
few current garden tractors have a rear PTO , although it is an option
on some. On the ones that it is available on it is still 2000 rpm.

Current "Compact Tractor" and Farm tractor PTO speeds are 540, 1000.
540 rpm on most everything from a Farmall Regular to a Cat Challenger.
540 uses a 1 1/8" (until about 1954) or 1 3/8" with a 6 or 21 splined
drive.
1000 rpm is the modern full sized tractor/implement speed with a 6 or 21
spline drive.
The others are model/brand specific.
Your 800 rpm is Kubota/Zen-Noh speed for the mid or rear mount finish
mower.
Mitsubishi/Cub Cadet/Case, have 1000 rpm mid for the belly mower or the
rear for a finish mower.
Then you have Shibaura/Ford/New Hollands 1200 rpm mid mount PTO. Why
1200? Who knows! But 1000 rpm stuff works fine.
Kioti has 540 and 1000 in the back. 2000 rpm in the middle, with a front
PTO that is at engine speed.

Standards???? What are those????

Also that tiller is Cat.0 three point.

--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York

Andy Asberry

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 22:27:38 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"
wrote:

I have an old pto tiller from a Ford LGT tractor, and I want to perhaps
adapt it for use on my Kubota, but not sure what the shaft speed was on the
Ford......pretty sure it was much faster than the 550 and 800 rpms that are
available on the Kubota...

If anyone knows offhand or has one that runs off 550 and or 880 rpms and
could perhaps check it and let me know what the usual reduction ratio from
the shaft on out to the tines would be for your typical pto drive tiller it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tine rpm should be about 275.

The LGT was a glorified lawn mower, wasn't it?

On most tillers the tines run at around 100 RPM.

Sounds like a hack. Good luck.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionMachinisT
I have an old pto tiller from a Ford LGT tractor, and I want to perhaps
adapt it for use on my Kubota, but not sure what the shaft speed was on the
Ford......pretty sure it was much faster than the 550 and 800 rpms that are
available on the Kubota...

If anyone knows offhand or has one that runs off 550 and or 880 rpms and
could perhaps check it and let me know what the usual reduction ratio from
the shaft on out to the tines would be for your typical pto drive tiller it
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--

SVL
Hello

Just wondering if you still had the Ford tiller and if you are using it?

If not would you be interested in selling it?

Thanks for your time.

Justin
Ohio

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM