afdr9lk

Default need help hooking up three phase mill

I bought an Index mill which has a 220/440 three phase motor
on it. It also has a "ThreePhaser Model 1000" converter box
on it. I don't have any docs on it but is is wired already.
Problem is that it has a 110V 20amp plug on it. (looks like
a regular 110 plug except one blade is rotated 90 degrees)
I'm guessing that someone used that for 220 volts so that it
couldn't plug into a regular outlet. I assume that I need
a line voltage of 220 since there is transformer in the
converter. I plan on installing a 220V 40amp circuit to
it if I am right. So does that sound like someone just
used the wrong plug on it? If anyone has any ThreePhaser
docs that would be great!

Harold and Susan Vordos

"afdr9lk" wrote in message
nk.net...
I bought an Index mill which has a 220/440 three phase motor
on it. It also has a "ThreePhaser Model 1000" converter box
on it. I don't have any docs on it but is is wired already.
Problem is that it has a 110V 20amp plug on it. (looks like
a regular 110 plug except one blade is rotated 90 degrees)
I'm guessing that someone used that for 220 volts so that it
couldn't plug into a regular outlet. I assume that I need
a line voltage of 220 since there is transformer in the
converter. I plan on installing a 220V 40amp circuit to
it if I am right. So does that sound like someone just
used the wrong plug on it? If anyone has any ThreePhaser
docs that would be great!

If I'm not mistaken, that *is* a 208/220/240 volt plug, it's not something
that someone has screwed around with. Female receptacles are available to
match your plug. They're made that way so some fool doesn't plug 120 volt
appliances into them.

Harold

I think it could be either a 120 volt 20 amp plug or a 240 volt 20
amp plug. They look very similar. But one has the right blade rotated
and the other has the left blade rotated..

Dan

Wild Bill

That plug is intended to be used for 120VAC, and the blades are in a
different orientation so that it can only be inserted into a 120VAC 20A
rated receptacle (or power cord end connector). The sideways-blade plug is
to prevent a 20A appliance from being plugged into a common 15A rated
receptacle.

A 20A rated 120V receptacle has a hot blade slot that is sideways-T-shaped.
This will allow more common less-than-20A plugs to be used with it, or the
sideways-bladed 20A plug.

Depending upon the current demand of the converter and motor, you may want
to choose a more versatile 240VAC receptacle and plug.
One such style is the type where the blade slots are both sideways (flat, in
line, horizontally opposed).

Your best option is choose the properly rated 240VAC receptacle, based upon
the NEC recommended style and current rating for the maximum safe current
rating of the new circuit you install.
You may have, or get more 240V equipment in the future, and having
standardized/common connections is best, as well as more convenient.

WB

"afdr9lk" wrote in message
nk.net...
I bought an Index mill which has a 220/440 three phase motor
on it. It also has a "ThreePhaser Model 1000" converter box
on it. I don't have any docs on it but is is wired already.
Problem is that it has a 110V 20amp plug on it. (looks like
a regular 110 plug except one blade is rotated 90 degrees)
I'm guessing that someone used that for 220 volts so that it
couldn't plug into a regular outlet. I assume that I need
a line voltage of 220 since there is transformer in the
converter. I plan on installing a 220V 40amp circuit to
it if I am right. So does that sound like someone just
used the wrong plug on it? If anyone has any ThreePhaser
docs that would be great!

Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote in message
oups.com...
I think it could be either a 120 volt 20 amp plug or a 240 volt 20
amp plug. They look very similar. But one has the right blade rotated
and the other has the left blade rotated..

Dan

Thanks for that, Dan. I wasn't aware.

Harold

Bill Fill

Thanks for that, Dan. I wasn't aware.

Harold

Here's a good reference on NEMA plug and outlet configuration from Leviton:

http://www.leviton.com/sections/techsupp/nema.htm

-Bill Fill
Olympia, WA

Eric R Snow

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 02:24:50 GMT, afdr9lk wrote:

I bought an Index mill which has a 220/440 three phase motor
on it. It also has a "ThreePhaser Model 1000" converter box
on it. I don't have any docs on it but is is wired already.
Problem is that it has a 110V 20amp plug on it. (looks like
a regular 110 plug except one blade is rotated 90 degrees)
I'm guessing that someone used that for 220 volts so that it
couldn't plug into a regular outlet. I assume that I need
a line voltage of 220 since there is transformer in the
converter. I plan on installing a 220V 40amp circuit to
it if I am right. So does that sound like someone just
used the wrong plug on it? If anyone has any ThreePhaser
docs that would be great!

The two horsepower motor on my Bridgeport mill draws 6 amps at 220
volts according to the nameplate. I don't know what size motor your
mill has, it could be 5 hp. But it seems like a 40 amp breaker might
be a little high.
ERS
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Bill Fill" wrote in message
Thanks for that, Dan. I wasn't aware.

Harold

Here's a good reference on NEMA plug and outlet configuration from

Leviton:

http://www.leviton.com/sections/techsupp/nema.htm

-Bill Fill
Olympia, WA

Way cool, Bill.

Thanks.

Harold

afdr9lk

Bill Fill wrote:
Thanks for that, Dan. I wasn't aware.

Harold

Here's a good reference on NEMA plug and outlet configuration from Leviton:

http://www.leviton.com/sections/techsupp/nema.htm

-Bill Fill
Olympia, WA

Hmmm... No 40amp configurations?

afdr9lk

Eric R Snow wrote:
[...]

Breakers protect the wire not the machine. That means I can draw a
max of 40 amps through the circuit without overheating the wire.
Eric R Snow

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 02:02:42 GMT, afdr9lk wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:
[...]

After I posted the above I thought about that. When I wired my shop I
put each machine on a separate circuit and the breakers protect the
machines. The wire is large enough that the breakers protecting the
machines are smaller than the breakers would be to protect the wires.
ERS
nic

I suggest that you know the dimensions of the blade spacing on your
plugs/sockets when you go shopping. I was going to pick up a plug and socket
to make an extension cord for my welder, 50amp 240v. That's one big blade,
one small blade and common, kinda like an oversized 110v configuration.
Ended up at Home Depot and grabbed a plug and socket and attempted to put
them together. Spacings were different!!!! I ended up grabbing the manager
of the electrical section and showed him. Blank stare. No idea what to do
about it. I thanked him for his time, suggested that he call the
manufacturer and ask them how it was supposed to work, and left. Wish I
could recall the brand.

"Bill Fill" wrote in message
Thanks for that, Dan. I wasn't aware.

Harold

Here's a good reference on NEMA plug and outlet configuration from

Leviton:

http://www.leviton.com/sections/techsupp/nema.htm

-Bill Fill
Olympia, WA

Jim Stewart

nic wrote:

I suggest that you know the dimensions of the blade spacing on your
plugs/sockets when you go shopping. I was going to pick up a plug and socket
to make an extension cord for my welder, 50amp 240v. That's one big blade,
one small blade and common, kinda like an oversized 110v configuration.
Ended up at Home Depot and grabbed a plug and socket and attempted to put
them together. Spacings were different!!!! I ended up grabbing the manager
of the electrical section and showed him. Blank stare. No idea what to do
about it. I thanked him for his time, suggested that he call the
manufacturer and ask them how it was supposed to work, and left. Wish I
could recall the brand.

It's hardly his fault.

He stocks the plugs and sockets that sell
the best. You can bet that he'd have something
to fit your dryer or electric stove. I'd
lop off the connector on your welder and
throw it away and fit connectors that are
readily available.

afdr9lk

Eric R Snow wrote:
snip
The two horsepower motor on my Bridgeport mill draws 6 amps at 220
volts according to the nameplate. I don't know what size motor your
mill has, it could be 5 hp. But it seems like a 40 amp breaker might
be a little high.
ERS

Breakers protect the wire not the machine. That means I can draw a
max of 40 amps through the circuit without overheating the wire.

After I posted the above I thought about that. When I wired my shop I
put each machine on a separate circuit and the breakers protect the
machines. The wire is large enough that the breakers protecting the
machines are smaller than the breakers would be to protect the wires.
ERS

How is the breaker protecting the machine?

Eric R Snow

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:05:46 GMT, afdr9lk wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:
snip
The two horsepower motor on my Bridgeport mill draws 6 amps at 220
volts according to the nameplate. I don't know what size motor your
mill has, it could be 5 hp. But it seems like a 40 amp breaker might
be a little high.
ERS

Breakers protect the wire not the machine. That means I can draw a
max of 40 amps through the circuit without overheating the wire.

After I posted the above I thought about that. When I wired my shop I
put each machine on a separate circuit and the breakers protect the
machines. The wire is large enough that the breakers protecting the
machines are smaller than the breakers would be to protect the wires.
ERS

How is the breaker protecting the machine?

Beats me. I just used the breakers suggested by the manufacturer.
Maybe they just prevent too much smoke coming out of the motor
housing. Actually, I think that's exactly what they are for. If the
motor draws too much current, say from an overload, the breaker pops.
On my big mill with contactors there are heaters that open the
contactors if too much current is drawn. I did pop the breakers once
when I lost a leg of the three phase.
ERS
afdr9lk

Eric R Snow wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:05:46 GMT, afdr9lk wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:
snip

[...]

I really don't think that is a good way to do it. You're
only going to be able to find breakers like 15,20,30...
Then you'd have to hope that the machine would draw something
like 19 amps for a 20 amp breaker to protect it.
Wild Bill

I incorrecly identified "sideways" blade position as the hot/line terminal
in my earlier reply.

It is the Neutral terminal in the 120VAC 20A plugs and receptacles.

Hopefully, since the terminals are color coded, this mistake won't cause
anyone to connect the leads incorrectly.

"Wild Bill" wrote in message
[...]

"afdr9lk" wrote in message
nk.net...
I bought an Index mill which has a 220/440 three phase motor
on it. It also has a "ThreePhaser Model 1000" converter box
on it. I don't have any docs on it but is is wired already.
Problem is that it has a 110V 20amp plug on it. (looks like
a regular 110 plug except one blade is rotated 90 degrees)
I'm guessing that someone used that for 220 volts so that it
couldn't plug into a regular outlet. I assume that I need
a line voltage of 220 since there is transformer in the
converter. I plan on installing a 220V 40amp circuit to
it if I am right. So does that sound like someone just
used the wrong plug on it? If anyone has any ThreePhaser
docs that would be great!

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

wrote in message
roups.com...
I think it could be either a 120 volt 20 amp plug or a 240 volt 20
amp plug. They look very similar. But one has the right blade rotated
and the other has the left blade rotated..

Dan

Thanks for that, Dan. I wasn't aware.

Most of the NEMA connectors actually *have* the designation
molded into them. It'll probably say right on the plug.

Jim

please reply to: