Wild Bill

That plug is intended to be used for 120VAC, and the blades are in a
different orientation so that it can only be inserted into a 120VAC 20A
rated receptacle (or power cord end connector). The sideways-blade plug is
to prevent a 20A appliance from being plugged into a common 15A rated
receptacle.

A 20A rated 120V receptacle has a hot blade slot that is sideways-T-shaped.
This will allow more common less-than-20A plugs to be used with it, or the
sideways-bladed 20A plug.

Depending upon the current demand of the converter and motor, you may want
to choose a more versatile 240VAC receptacle and plug.
One such style is the type where the blade slots are both sideways (flat, in
line, horizontally opposed).

Your best option is choose the properly rated 240VAC receptacle, based upon
the NEC recommended style and current rating for the maximum safe current
rating of the new circuit you install.
You may have, or get more 240V equipment in the future, and having
standardized/common connections is best, as well as more convenient.

WB

"afdr9lk" wrote in message
nk.net...
I bought an Index mill which has a 220/440 three phase motor
on it. It also has a "ThreePhaser Model 1000" converter box
on it. I don't have any docs on it but is is wired already.
Problem is that it has a 110V 20amp plug on it. (looks like
a regular 110 plug except one blade is rotated 90 degrees)
I'm guessing that someone used that for 220 volts so that it
couldn't plug into a regular outlet. I assume that I need
a line voltage of 220 since there is transformer in the
converter. I plan on installing a 220V 40amp circuit to
it if I am right. So does that sound like someone just
used the wrong plug on it? If anyone has any ThreePhaser
docs that would be great!