Eric R Snow

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 02:02:42 GMT, afdr9lk wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 02:24:50 GMT, afdr9lk wrote:

I bought an Index mill which has a 220/440 three phase motor
on it. It also has a "ThreePhaser Model 1000" converter box
on it. I don't have any docs on it but is is wired already.
Problem is that it has a 110V 20amp plug on it. (looks like
a regular 110 plug except one blade is rotated 90 degrees)
I'm guessing that someone used that for 220 volts so that it
couldn't plug into a regular outlet. I assume that I need
a line voltage of 220 since there is transformer in the
converter. I plan on installing a 220V 40amp circuit to
it if I am right. So does that sound like someone just
used the wrong plug on it? If anyone has any ThreePhaser
docs that would be great!

The two horsepower motor on my Bridgeport mill draws 6 amps at 220
volts according to the nameplate. I don't know what size motor your
mill has, it could be 5 hp. But it seems like a 40 amp breaker might
be a little high.
ERS

Breakers protect the wire not the machine. That means I can draw a
max of 40 amps through the circuit without overheating the wire.

After I posted the above I thought about that. When I wired my shop I
put each machine on a separate circuit and the breakers protect the
machines. The wire is large enough that the breakers protecting the
machines are smaller than the breakers would be to protect the wires.
ERS