afdr9lk

Eric R Snow wrote:
snip
The two horsepower motor on my Bridgeport mill draws 6 amps at 220
volts according to the nameplate. I don't know what size motor your
mill has, it could be 5 hp. But it seems like a 40 amp breaker might
be a little high.
ERS

Breakers protect the wire not the machine. That means I can draw a
max of 40 amps through the circuit without overheating the wire.

After I posted the above I thought about that. When I wired my shop I
put each machine on a separate circuit and the breakers protect the
machines. The wire is large enough that the breakers protecting the
machines are smaller than the breakers would be to protect the wires.
ERS

How is the breaker protecting the machine?