Default ball launcher

The dog would play fetch all day if us humans
didn't get tired of throwing it.

I want to build an automatic thrower. Train
the dog to drop the ball in a 'hopper', the
machine waits 10 seconds, beeps, and throws
the ball.

I am looking for ideas on the mechanical
throwing mechanism.

Rich

jerry wass

Emmo wrote:
look at tennis ball machines. Most use air...

wrote in message
oups.com...

The dog would play fetch all day if us humans
didn't get tired of throwing it.

I want to build an automatic thrower. Train
the dog to drop the ball in a 'hopper', the
machine waits 10 seconds, beeps, and throws
the ball.

I am looking for ideas on the mechanical
throwing mechanism.

Rich

Thebaseball throwers use two motor driven wheels about the size of
wheelbarrow wheels the wheels run all the time, the ball rolls down
little ramp into the gap between the wheels and whoosh!! away it goes..

Artemia Salina

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:10:36 -0500, jerry wass wrote:

Thebaseball throwers use two motor driven wheels about the size of
wheelbarrow wheels the wheels run all the time, the ball rolls down
little ramp into the gap between the wheels and whoosh!! away it goes..

Fetch the stick Fido!

http://www.srl.org/machines/pitching/
Gerald Miller

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:49:10 -0400, "Wild Bill"
wrote:

Obvious solution would be to then load the launcher with cats

I'll contribute a couple black and white ****ty-cats that the
neighbour sends over to do their business under the overhang where
grass won't grow and the ground doesn't freeze all winter.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 01:12:47 -0400, the inscrutable Artemia Salina
spake:

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:10:36 -0500, jerry wass wrote:

Thebaseball throwers use two motor driven wheels about the size of
wheelbarrow wheels the wheels run all the time, the ball rolls down
little ramp into the gap between the wheels and whoosh!! away it goes..

Fetch the stick Fido!

http://www.srl.org/machines/pitching/

I needs me wunna them to keep them Revenooers offen my land.

Thanks for posting that URL, Artemia. I'd been hunting for it for
ages. Googling "cadillac 2x4 thrower" and a dozen other search phrases
netted me absolutely nothing usable.

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote in message
oups.com...
The dog would play fetch all day if us humans
didn't get tired of throwing it.

I want to build an automatic thrower. Train
the dog to drop the ball in a 'hopper', the
machine waits 10 seconds, beeps, and throws
the ball.

Despite the appearance that the dog wants the ball, it's the interaction
with the thrower he's really asking for. He'll get bored with a machine in
just a few throws.

LLoyd

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
The dog would play fetch all day if us humans
didn't get tired of throwing it.

I want to build an automatic thrower. Train
the dog to drop the ball in a 'hopper', the
machine waits 10 seconds, beeps, and throws
the ball.

Despite the appearance that the dog wants the ball, it's the interaction
with the thrower he's really asking for. He'll get bored with a machine in
just a few throws.

I suspect that you are right.

And as for training the dog to drop the ball into a hopper --
Every time that I have thrown things, the dog makes me fight to get hold
of it to throw again -- just more of the game. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Artemia Salina

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 05:20:24 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 01:12:47 -0400, the inscrutable Artemia Salina
spake:

Fetch the stick Fido!

http://www.srl.org/machines/pitching/

I needs me wunna them to keep them Revenooers offen my land.

Thanks for posting that URL, Artemia. I'd been hunting for it for
ages. Googling "cadillac 2x4 thrower" and a dozen other search phrases
netted me absolutely nothing usable.

You're welcome, Larry. I'm a big fan of Survival Research Labs; they
make some of the most frightening machines-as-art that I've ever seen.
I'm disappointed that they took the page detailing the Hand-o-God
off-line. It's a huge spring-loaded hand made of steel I-beams
that can flatten a compact car with one mighty swat. It really conveys
the unforgiving nature of machinery. Nevertheless, I encourage readers
to poke around on that site and check out some of the videos of the
machines being tested. The "Pitching Machine" is shown being remotely
aim-able and fire-able. They even claim that it can be operated via
the internet! Imagine working in your shop with that machine in it
somewhere and hearing the caddy motor start up on it's own!
Hit the deck; hackers!

By the way, if you watch the TV show, Myth-Busters, the blond-haired
woman, Scotty, is a former member of Survival Research Laboratories.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 19:47:22 -0400, the inscrutable Artemia Salina
spake:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 05:20:24 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 01:12:47 -0400, the inscrutable Artemia Salina
spake:

Fetch the stick Fido!

http://www.srl.org/machines/pitching/

I needs me wunna them to keep them Revenooers offen my land.

Thanks for posting that URL, Artemia. I'd been hunting for it for
ages. Googling "cadillac 2x4 thrower" and a dozen other search phrases
netted me absolutely nothing usable.

You're welcome, Larry. I'm a big fan of Survival Research Labs; they
make some of the most frightening machines-as-art that I've ever seen.

I sent that URL to a friend in D.C. and he made a comment about
folks who have too much time and money on their hands. What a
spoilsport HE is. I accused him of jealousy, I did.

I'll send email telling them of the missing HOG.

I'm disappointed that they took the page detailing the Hand-o-God
off-line. It's a huge spring-loaded hand made of steel I-beams
that can flatten a compact car with one mighty swat. It really conveys
the unforgiving nature of machinery. Nevertheless, I encourage readers
to poke around on that site and check out some of the videos of the
machines being tested. The "Pitching Machine" is shown being remotely
aim-able and fire-able. They even claim that it can be operated via
the internet! Imagine working in your shop with that machine in it

I think that machine is larger than my (2-car) shop.

somewhere and hearing the caddy motor start up on it's own!
Hit the deck; hackers!

Sell rides to the rednecks! (One way, cash in advance, please.)

By the way, if you watch the TV show, Myth-Busters, the blond-haired
woman, Scotty, is a former member of Survival Research Laboratories.

No, I don't watch any "reality" TV.

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Rex B

wrote:

Obvious solution would be to then load the launcher with cats

I'll contribute a couple black and white ****ty-cats that the
neighbour sends over to do their business under the overhang where
grass won't grow and the ground doesn't freeze all winter.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

In the same spirit, I will contribute a noisy min-pin from the
neighbor's backyard.