Default Knurling tool

Can a decent clamping type knurl tool be made out of a tubing cutter?

With a larger forged pipe cutter, If I replace the cutter with a knurl,
Keep the rollers on, figure out a way to mount it to a tool post on the
lathe, do you think it would work?

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

wrote in message
ups.com...
With a larger forged pipe cutter, If I replace the cutter with a knurl,
Keep the rollers on, figure out a way to mount it to a tool post on the
lathe, do you think it would work?

Replace all three with knurls, lest you smash your nice pattern on every
rotation.

LLoyd

Daniel A. Mitchell Jun 10, 1:12 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: "Daniel A. Mitchell" - Find messages by
this author
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:12:52 -0400
Subject: Knurling tool
original | Report Abuse

wrote:
With a larger forged pipe cutter, If I replace the cutter with a knurl,
Keep the rollers on, figure out a way to mount it to a tool post on the
lathe, do you think it would work?

"Clamp" type knurlers work one knurl against another one, on opposite
sides of the work. A plane roller on the back side would crush the
knurl
almost as fast as it's generated, and make a mess. The free floating
kind, as I discussed earlier and you propose, use TWO knurls on the
back
side (like a pipe cutter) so they will self center on the work.

Another problem is that knurls are usually a lot thicker than the
cutter
wheel in a pipe cutter, and thus would not fit without removing
considerable material from the wheel-frame of the pipe cutter. This
might seriously weaken the cutter frame (knurling requires considerable

pressure).

A single point knurl can be used in a lathe, but puts a LOT of strain
on
the headstock bearings, the cross slide leadscrew, and the whole
carriage assembly (especially on smaller lathes). That's why "clamp"
knurlers are popular with smaller lathes.

Good advice, to see a homebuilt knurling tool, check out:

http://engineman69.home.comcast.net/knurl.html

Engineman

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Doug Warner wrote:

But how can they work?

As long as we're on the subject, can anyone tell me how knurlers can
produce an even pattern around the workpiece when the pitch of the
knurling roller doesn't divide evenly into the circumference of the
work? Also circumference changes as the wheels dig in deeper, which
makes it less likely..

Agreed. So if you *start* with a perfect match, you *should* end
up without one as you dig deeper -- absent a self-correcting behaviour
of the knurls pulling to lock into the previous depressions.

Or is that it, you apply enough pressure so the work circumference
becomes an even multiple of the knurl pitch and the pattern evens out?

That appears to match my experience. Or at least the knurl
rollers pull slightly ahead or behind to match the previous rotation once
the knurl is deep enough. I start out deep (feeding on from the end
when possible), and I have no problems.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Gerald Miller

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:24:03 -0400, Doug Warner
wrote:

But how can they work?

As long as we're on the subject, can anyone tell me how knurlers can
produce an even pattern around the workpiece when the pitch of the
knurling roller doesn't divide evenly into the circumference of the
work? Also circumference changes as the wheels dig in deeper, which
makes it less likely..
Or is that it, you apply enough pressure so the work circumference
becomes an even multiple of the knurl pitch and the pattern evens out?

Quite often I get a repeated pattern of a wider groove from both
knurls where they seem to adjust their tracking.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Gary Wooding

Doug Warner wrote:
But how can they work?

As long as we're on the subject, can anyone tell me how knurlers can
produce an even pattern around the workpiece when the pitch of the
knurling roller doesn't divide evenly into the circumference of the
work? Also circumference changes as the wheels dig in deeper, which
makes it less likely..
Or is that it, you apply enough pressure so the work circumference
becomes an even multiple of the knurl pitch and the pattern evens out?

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

They work by the 'teeth' of the knurling wheel slipping into sync with
the workpiece. If you start a knurl with a gentle pressure, there is a
high probability that the newly formed pattern won't be in sync when it
meets the old, and you get a 'crossed' knurl.
If you increase the pressure slightly you just reinforce the mismatch.

If, however, you start the knurl with a good hard pressure, the knurling
wheel slips into sync with the existing pattern and you start to get a
nicely defined knurl. Added pressure simply reinforces the existing
pattern and you can continue the operation until its deep enough.
If you get a crossed knurl early on, you can often rescue it by suddenly
applying lots of pressure to force the teeth of the wheel(s) to slip
into the valleys of the existing pattern. It has to be sudden so that
when the wheel meets the 'new' valleys, they are deep enough to force
the teeth to slip into them rather than create new ones.
Try it and you'll see that it works just like that.

--

Regards, Gary Wooding

Gunner

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:42:48 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

"Doug Warner" wrote in message
.. .

But how can they work?

As long as we're on the subject, can anyone tell me how knurlers can
produce an even pattern around the workpiece when the pitch of the
knurling roller doesn't divide evenly into the circumference of the
work? Also circumference changes as the wheels dig in deeper, which
makes it less likely..

Or is that it, you apply enough pressure so the work circumference
becomes an even multiple of the knurl pitch and the pattern evens out?
^^^^^^^^^^

Yup.
LLoyd

Its all done by FM.

Gunner

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. Draft 2 John Rumm UK diy 55 March 13th 05 01:27 AM
For peer review, new FAQ section: Power Tools. John Rumm UK diy 87 March 8th 05 09:43 PM
drive pin on R8 collets Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 50 July 9th 04 05:41 AM
Anyone Used Sorby Texture and Spiraling Tool Ken Vaughn Woodturning 23 June 8th 04 04:13 AM