Ron Hubbard

Default Going Round and Round

Here, I guess is a newbie question, because I don't remember that part of machine
shop. Does anyone know of a way to punch out nice round circles of aluminum or
brass out of sheet metal in such a way that there are no holes in the circles?

Ron

David Billington

Although not punching as you requested you could consider a circle
shear. These are used for cutting circles from square blanks for say
metal spinning were you don't usually want a hole in the centre.

Ron Hubbard wrote:

Here, I guess is a newbie question, because I don't remember that part of machine
shop. Does anyone know of a way to punch out nice round circles of aluminum or
brass out of sheet metal in such a way that there are no holes in the circles?

Ron

Tom Gardner

"Ron Hubbard" wrote in message
Here, I guess is a newbie question, because I don't remember that part of
machine
shop. Does anyone know of a way to punch out nice round circles of
aluminum or
brass out of sheet metal in such a way that there are no holes in the
circles?

Ron

How big? How thick? How many? The obvious answer is a die set on a punch
press. I punch millions of rounds from 0.1875" x 6"

Ron Hubbard

"David Billington" wrote in message
.. .
Although not punching as you requested you could consider a circle
shear. These are used for cutting circles from square blanks for say
metal spinning were you don't usually want a hole in the centre.

Would that work for small diameter circles, say, 1/2" to 3/4" diameter circles?

Ron

Ron Hubbard

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...

"Ron Hubbard" wrote in message
Here, I guess is a newbie question, because I don't remember that part of
machine
shop. Does anyone know of a way to punch out nice round circles of
aluminum or
brass out of sheet metal in such a way that there are no holes in the
circles?

Ron

How big? How thick? How many? The obvious answer is a die set on a punch
press. I punch millions of rounds from 0.1875" x 6"

Is a punch press an expensive item to purchase?

Ron

John Chase

"Ron Hubbard" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...

"Ron Hubbard" wrote in message
Here, I guess is a newbie question, because I don't remember that part
of
machine
shop. Does anyone know of a way to punch out nice round circles of
aluminum or
brass out of sheet metal in such a way that there are no holes in the
circles?

Ron

How big? How thick? How many? The obvious answer is a die set on a punch
press. I punch millions of rounds from 0.1875" x 6"

Is a punch press an expensive item to purchase?

If all you want to do is punch some rounds ("one-off" quantities), you might
get by with an arbor press, in which case the die set would likely be the
most expensive tool. If you want a "production-type" punch press, well,
depending on the size, you might have to build some place to house it. :-)

-jc-

Ron Hubbard

"John Chase" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I just need to make a few thin aluminum or brass circles to
make custom piezo-buzzers like the kind used in alarm clocks, smoke alarms, etc.

Ron

Chuck Sherwood

Is a punch press an expensive item to purchase?

I just need to make a few thin aluminum or brass circles to
make custom piezo-buzzers like the kind used in alarm clocks, smoke alarms

I bought a 4 ton roper whitney hand operated bench punch for a 200.
Fit the right punch and die and it will punch out circles.

For a few prototypes you might try a hole saw in a drill press. If you
just have a hand drill, maybe clamping the metal between a couple of
sheets of fairly thick plywood would keep the hole saw from wandering.
( You would have to drill thru one piece of plywood first, but you
could use a drill in the center of the hole saw when you do that. )

After you are sure of what you want, you might be able to make a die
set using a drill bushing for half of the set. You could probably use
a vise to apply the pressure to cut out disks out of thin material.

Dan

jk

What it sounds like you need is a shim punch, such as that shown

or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll... 861&tc=photo

Which can be driven with a hammer or a press

"Ron Hubbard" wrote:

"John Chase" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Ron Hubbard

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...

"Ron Hubbard" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
m...

"Ron Hubbard" wrote in message
Here, I guess is a newbie question, because I don't remember that part
of
machine
shop. Does anyone know of a way to punch out nice round circles of
aluminum or
brass out of sheet metal in such a way that there are no holes in the
circles?

Ron

How big? How thick? How many? The obvious answer is a die set on a punch
press. I punch millions of rounds from 0.1875" x 6"

Is a punch press an expensive item to purchase?

Ron

From the rest of what I read about your job, a small arbor press will be
fine.

Hmm, Amazon.com has a half-ton arbor press for $27.00 without shipping & handling.
But they don't sell dies; would you happen to know of a source for compatible
dies?

Ron

Chuck Sherwood

From the rest of what I read about your job, a small arbor press will be
fine.

Hmm, Amazon.com has a half-ton arbor press for $27.00 without shipping & handling.

In order to use an arbor press, you need to fabricate a way to hold the
punch to the ram and the die to base so that they line up. Not too hard
for someone equiped with some metalworking tools, but I don't think the
original poster has much metal working equipment (if any).

A 1/2 ton is not very much push when it comes to punching.
According to roperwhitney.com,
http://roperwhitney.com/tech/chart1.cfm

A 1/2 ton will punch a 1/8 inch hole in 18 gage steel.
I doubt that is large enough to do what the original poster wants.

Ron Hubbard

"Chuck Sherwood" wrote in message
From the rest of what I read about your job, a small arbor press will be
fine.

Hmm, Amazon.com has a half-ton arbor press for $27.00 without shipping &

handling.

In order to use an arbor press, you need to fabricate a way to hold the
punch to the ram and the die to base so that they line up. Not too hard
for someone equiped with some metalworking tools, but I don't think the
original poster has much metal working equipment (if any).

A 1/2 ton is not very much push when it comes to punching.
According to roperwhitney.com,
http://roperwhitney.com/tech/chart1.cfm

A 1/2 ton will punch a 1/8 inch hole in 18 gage steel.
I doubt that is large enough to do what the original poster wants.

Just need a few circles made out of thin metal-- 0.001 to 0.005" thick (or thin
one could say). But sounds like I might have an easier time going to a metal shop
and have them punch out a couple of circles.

Ron

For relatiivly few pieces in such thin stock, I would use a felt tip
marker to color the material , scribe the circle with a compass, and
cut out with some aircraft type tin snips. You might have to cut a few
thousands big and get rid of any burrs with sandpaper.

Dan

Chuck Sherwood

Just need a few circles made out of thin metal-- 0.001 to 0.005" thick

Thats almost like punching paper!
You could buy some circle punchs intended for gaskets.
Place the "foil" on top of a pad of paper and strike the
cirle punch with a hammer. Should would fine.

chuck