Bruno

Default What machines would this chuck fit?

I recently picked up an Atlas 12x36 lathe, and with it was a 9"
diameter 3 jaw Cushman chuck with a 2 1/4"-8 threaded backplate.
Obviously to big for the Atlas, but what machines could take this
chuck?

Thanks,

-Bruno
Dave

Bruno wrote:
I recently picked up an Atlas 12x36 lathe, and with it
was a 9" diameter 3 jaw Cushman chuck with a 2 1/4"-8
threaded backplate. Obviously too big for the Atlas, but
what machines could take this chuck?

Thanks,

-Bruno

Huh? 9 12, right?

Bruno

"Dave" wrote:

Bruno wrote:
I recently picked up an Atlas 12x36 lathe, and with it
was a 9" diameter 3 jaw Cushman chuck with a 2 1/4"-8
threaded backplate. Obviously too big for the Atlas, but
what machines could take this chuck?

Thanks,

-Bruno

Huh? 9 12, right?

Yes, 9 12, but 2 1/4" spindle 1 1/2" as found on the Atlas.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Bruno wrote:
"Dave" wrote:

Bruno wrote:
I recently picked up an Atlas 12x36 lathe, and with it
was a 9" diameter 3 jaw Cushman chuck with a 2 1/4"-8
threaded backplate. Obviously too big for the Atlas, but
what machines could take this chuck?

Thanks,

-Bruno

Huh? 9 12, right?

Yes, 9 12, but 2 1/4" spindle 1 1/2" as found on the Atlas.

Yes -- but not all 12" lathes are made equal. My 12x24"
Clausing came with a 2-1/4x8 spindle thread. Other lathes that have
been listed by other followups also use the same spindle thread.

And essentially, I think that a 2-1/4-8 is the minimum spindle
nose which will accept a closer for 5C collets. (So does the L-00
spindle nose, with which I preplaced my 2-1/4x8 spindle, which has the
advantage that I can do serious cuts in reverse without worrying about
the chuck unscrewing from the spindle.)

Essentially, the 12" Atlas is a relatively lightweight 12" -- as
are some other Clausings which I have seen -- with a longer bed, but not
enough spindle hole to handle the 5C collets.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Damn Chuck JK Metalworking 9 June 5th 05 05:08 AM
Teknatool Titan Chuck draft review Lyn J. Mangiameli Woodturning 1 January 12th 04 05:07 PM
Need help identifying old Delta Drill Press & need chuck key Larry Webb Metalworking 5 October 14th 03 03:53 PM
Runout on 3 Jaw Chuck Steve Metalworking 5 October 14th 03 01:30 AM
Cuemaking-Metal Lathe Chuck Question? J. Alan Metalworking 6 August 9th 03 02:07 AM