Al A.

Default Machine painting....

Hi all,
Now I do know that this subject has been (mericilessly) beaten to
death any number of times here in the past. But I just can't help
myself.

i am just getting started removing the ugly paintjob from the Sheldon
lathe I just aquired. With bare metal beginning to appear, I am
wondering what the current wisdom is regarding the best
materials/methods to use to paint old machine tools.

Generally I don't get too worked up over the paint job on my
machines, but the paint on this machine was pretty poorly done (with a
brush and none too skillifully at that) at some point in the past, and
it sat in a barn for maybe 25-30 years. Much of it is peeling off. I
am going over the lathe cleaning out gak and goo, so I figure that now
is the time to do this. If I don't do it now, I NEVER will. Most or
the old paint comes off readily with paint stripper, though there are
here and there small patches of the first layer and that whitish coat
on the metal that I assume is a filler or primer type stuff. I am not
entirely sure that I am going to attack every square inch of this
machine with a wire wheel to remove every speck of old paint. Any
suggestions on how to minimize the uneven-ness on the new paint? (I
know, no free lunches...)

Are your basic hardware store type spray cans the way to go? Or is
there some cool high tech brush-on goo that levels itself out, dosen't
run, looks great and is near impossible to chip? Any favorite
types/brands/whatever? Suggestions on primers, or are they even
necessary, etc.

Thanks for any ideas!

-AL A.

Tom Gardner

I use a small brush to paint oil on the "not to be painted" parts and just
wipe off the dried paint, faster than masking. Use lots of wire brushes
then throw them away.

"Al A." wrote in message
[...]

Anthony

Al A. wrote in
:

Use an expoxy based paint made for machines.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/
Doug Schultz

Vaseline is very easy to remove later
and it sticks where you put it
same trick though

Doug

"Al A." wrote in message
[...]

Al A.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:49:16 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

I use a small brush to paint oil on the "not to be painted" parts and just
wipe off the dried paint, faster than masking. Use lots of wire brushes
then throw them away.

Tom,
I don't suppose you have any suggestions as to where I should by all
of those wire brushes, hmmmm?

Thanks!

-AL

Tom Gardner

wrote:

I use a small brush to paint oil on the "not to be painted" parts and just
wipe off the dried paint, faster than masking. Use lots of wire brushes
then throw them away.

Tom,
I don't suppose you have any suggestions as to where I should by all
of those wire brushes, hmmmm?

Thanks!

-AL

Get the Chinese imports...just like everybody else!

Al A.

On Sun, 29 May 2005 14:00:09 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

Tom,
I don't suppose you have any suggestions as to where I should by all
of those wire brushes, hmmmm?

Thanks!

-AL

Get the Chinese imports...just like everybody else!

You gotta love a guy with a sense of humor like that!

Anthony posted:

"Use an expoxy based paint made for machines."

Good suggestion if you are spray painting, but the original posted
indicated that he is painting using a brush.

I love the expoxy based machine paints, but it's nearly impossible to
get a good, smooth finish unless your spray because they are not nearly
as self-leveling as conventional machine paints and enamels. Surface
preparation is a bitch as well since often surface etching is needed.

Then too, cleaning up your spray outfit after using expoxy paint
required much more time and rather nasty solvents (like MEK) than the
painting operation itself consumes.

Harry C.

Keith Marshall

Good suggestion if you are spray painting, but the original posted
indicated that he is painting using a brush.

Actually the original post indicated that the current, poor paint job was
done with a brush.

He then asked:

"Are your basic hardware store type spray cans the way to go? Or is
there some cool high tech brush-on goo that levels itself out, dosen't
run, looks great and is near impossible to chip? Any favorite
types/brands/whatever? Suggestions on primers, or are they even
necessary, etc."

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

wrote in message
ups.com...
Anthony posted:

"Use an expoxy based paint made for machines."

Good suggestion if you are spray painting, but the original posted
indicated that he is painting using a brush.

I love the expoxy based machine paints, but it's nearly impossible to
get a good, smooth finish unless your spray because they are not nearly
as self-leveling as conventional machine paints and enamels. Surface
preparation is a bitch as well since often surface etching is needed.

Then too, cleaning up your spray outfit after using expoxy paint
required much more time and rather nasty solvents (like MEK) than the
painting operation itself consumes.

Harry C.

Al A.

On Mon, 30 May 2005 04:06:07 GMT, "Keith Marshall"
wrote:

Good suggestion if you are spray painting, but the original posted
indicated that he is painting using a brush.

Actually the original post indicated that the current, poor paint job was
done with a brush.

He then asked:

"Are your basic hardware store type spray cans the way to go? Or is
there some cool high tech brush-on goo that levels itself out, dosen't
run, looks great and is near impossible to chip? Any favorite
types/brands/whatever? Suggestions on primers, or are they even
necessary, etc."

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Spraying is not out of the question, but I do not have a fancy
spraying set up, just some cheapo spray gun. And I do not have much
experience using spray equipment, which is an even bigger problem,
from what I have been led to understand.

My question is really if there is some preferred method or material
beyond the standard spray can or brush on stuff.

Thanks all,
AL A.

Rex

wrote:

[...]

Well. I've done 2 or 3 lathes. Clean with solvent, wire brush as
necessary. Clean with hot soapy water, dry with hair dryer.
Spray primer from a rattle-can. Then spray first coat with aerosol. Let
dry, change light so you see what you missed, spray topcoat. Then let it
dry. Baking under a hot Texas (or equivalent) sun for a day or two
hardens it well. Then I spray with aerosol silicone, which seems to act
as a wax and prevents rust on machined surfaces. Buff with an old
T-shirt once it's dry.
I normally use Plastikote or Krylon, industrial or engine paint. Try to
match original color as closely as possible. Works for me.
JB

I just finished painting my BP Mill. I sanded all the old areas that were
chipped. Used autobody filler to fill larger dings and dents. I then wiped
the entire machine down with mineral spirits and let it dry. I used spray
primer for the spots that were filled or down to bare metal. I then painted
the machine using a foam roller and foam brush. I used Rusoleum Smoke Gray
oil based enamel. The results were very good. I gave it three coats and
allowed at least 24 hours between coats.

Good luck.

Joe...
wrote:

[...]

Al A.

Thanks, guys. That is just the sort of "how I did it" info I was
looking for.

Got to work on this later this week. I'll post some pic when it is
done.
Thanks again!

AL A.