Tom Gardner

I use a small brush to paint oil on the "not to be painted" parts and just
wipe off the dried paint, faster than masking. Use lots of wire brushes
then throw them away.

"Al A." wrote in message
Hi all,
Now I do know that this subject has been (mericilessly) beaten to
death any number of times here in the past. But I just can't help
myself.

i am just getting started removing the ugly paintjob from the Sheldon
lathe I just aquired. With bare metal beginning to appear, I am
wondering what the current wisdom is regarding the best
materials/methods to use to paint old machine tools.

Generally I don't get too worked up over the paint job on my
machines, but the paint on this machine was pretty poorly done (with a
brush and none too skillifully at that) at some point in the past, and
it sat in a barn for maybe 25-30 years. Much of it is peeling off. I
am going over the lathe cleaning out gak and goo, so I figure that now
is the time to do this. If I don't do it now, I NEVER will. Most or
the old paint comes off readily with paint stripper, though there are
here and there small patches of the first layer and that whitish coat
on the metal that I assume is a filler or primer type stuff. I am not
entirely sure that I am going to attack every square inch of this
machine with a wire wheel to remove every speck of old paint. Any
suggestions on how to minimize the uneven-ness on the new paint? (I
know, no free lunches...)

Are your basic hardware store type spray cans the way to go? Or is
there some cool high tech brush-on goo that levels itself out, dosen't
run, looks great and is near impossible to chip? Any favorite
types/brands/whatever? Suggestions on primers, or are they even
necessary, etc.

Thanks for any ideas!

-AL A.