DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Alex wrote:

DaveB wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2005 20:54:22 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Alex wrote:
So how much did they want for a new one? - GWE

[ ... ]

Not cheap at all!
Pulley - $23, arm $19, 2 bearings $45 Plus handling and delivery $22

O.K. That at least would have two bearings, and not develop the
problems you are experiencing.

Other than that, it looks as though the pulley (*if* your
rendering is accurate+) would have enough meat to be bored for a second
bearing -- but it would still leave you with needing to machine the arm
to accept a second pulley.

I would suggest that:

1) You buy the new arm from them.

2) Go to a bearing house to find a pair of generic bearing the
right dimensions to fit the arm and the pulley bore.

And

3) Bore the existing pulley to accept the two bearings.

4) Assemble them to make a proper pulley assembly and reinstall.

But -- if their parts list shows two bearings, and the drawings
show two bearings, then it would appear that you got a non-standard
assembly. A pity that you didn't spot it before the warranty expired --
especially given what you paid for the thing.

I wonder -- you seem to be up to about half of what one of the
imports costs new for the whole assembly. And what you have really *is*
an import, just with a Wilton label stuck on it.

Good Luck,
DoN.

+) How can the rendering be accurate if you did not measure the
pulley? It is a nice rendering -- but without dimension I don't
trust it).
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
lionslair at consolidated dot net

Christopher Tidy wrote:

Alex wrote:

Thanks for suggestion.
I just posted some pictures of the pulley he
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/pulley1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/pulley2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/pulley3.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/pulley4.jpg

By the way, why don't Wilton do what other drill press manufacturers do
and mount the motor on a hinged bracket? That way you don't need the
idler pulley, bearing or arm.

Chris

Many manufacturers use three cones to double step up or double step down.
Really helps in doing metal or doing wood. Dad had one of these - a Delta Bench.
My 1930 Delta - looks just alike - but without the center cone. Oh well.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life