Jim Stewart

Default [July 2003] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Ganoksin wrote:
The Ganoksin Project
S i n c e 1 9 9 6
Jewelry Manufacturing Methods and Techniques

Multiple pages and 3 crossposts snipped...

Is there a reason why this is posted here?

Greg N.

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(snipped)

So -- is there a reason why I find it invisible? Did it
possibly have attachments? Some news servers block attachments in
non-binary newsgroups, including someone along the path to my system, so
anything with binary attachments just vanishes. (BTW -- I *approve* of
such blocking -- binary attachments don't belong in discussion
newsgroups.)

Or was this posted some time ago, and may have expired already?

Enjoy,
DoN.

I agree with blocking such binaries too, DoN, but i didn't see any
attached to the original post.

I've pasted the original below, minus the bulk of the body, in case
you're interested in the header.

Regards,
Greg N.

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.gemstones, rec.crafts.metalworking,
rec.crafts.beads, rec.crafts.misc
Subject: [July 2003] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:09:53 GMT
rec.crafts.metalworking:440734 rec.crafts.beads:80613
rec.crafts.misc:40974

The Ganoksin Project
S i n c e 1 9 9 6
Jewelry Manufacturing Methods and Techniques
http://www.ganoksin.com

In This Edition:

(snipped)

Enjoy
Hanuman
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Greg N. wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

(snipped)

So -- is there a reason why I find it invisible? Did it
possibly have attachments? Some news servers block attachments in

[ ... ]

Or was this posted some time ago, and may have expired already?

[ ... ]

I agree with blocking such binaries too, DoN, but i didn't see any
attached to the original post.

I've pasted the original below, minus the bulk of the body, in case
you're interested in the header.

Thanks! No obvious reason why it never got here. Date is
recent. ISP is one which I am not blocking. (I'm blocking a very few
news servers -- one because it was not only the hose of Cass (which
would not take action on any complaints), but also it turned out to host
a bunch of trolls who made news.admin.net-abuse.usenet unreadable.
(They are there for the same reason -- the ISP doesn't honor complaints,
no matter how valid.) My wife is very happy with the results of
blocking that news server. :-)

The others are ones which Hipcrime seems to favor for his
attacks on news.admin.net-abuse.email (and other usenet newsgroups.)
Rather than have my news server's load average go sky high trying to
reject them on the basis of contents, I just toss them on receipt. :-)

I can always tell when there is one of the attacks going on,
because my logs show several hundred to a thousand rejected articles
from that news server, instead of the typical two or three. :-) (Granted,
I only carry a small subset of the news groups, far from the whole
thing. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564