DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   [July 2003] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/10683-re-%5Bjuly-2003%5D-tips-jewelers-bench.html)

Jim Stewart July 25th 03 07:15 AM

[July 2003] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Ganoksin wrote:
The Ganoksin Project
S i n c e 1 9 9 6
Jewelry Manufacturing Methods and Techniques

Multiple pages and 3 crossposts snipped...

Is there a reason why this is posted here?

Bob Miller July 27th 03 11:47 PM

[July 2003] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Subject: [July 2003] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench
From: Jim Stewart
Date: 7/25/2003 2:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Ganoksin wrote:
The Ganoksin Project
S i n c e 1 9 9 6
Jewelry Manufacturing Methods and Techniques

Multiple pages and 3 crossposts snipped...

Is there a reason why this is posted here?

It concerns metal working.
The name of the group is rec.crafts.metalworking, right?
The last time I made and polished a silver ring, it seemed like metal to me.
:)
There are a number of people who read this group that make jewelry. One that
comes to mind is Abrasha (sorry if I spelled it wrong) who does some very fine
original design work.

Glenn Cramond July 28th 03 11:49 AM

From: Jim Stewart

Date: 7/25/2003 2:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Ganoksin wrote:
The Ganoksin Project
S i n c e 1 9 9 6
Jewelry Manufacturing Methods and Techniques

Multiple pages and 3 crossposts snipped...

Is there a reason why this is posted here?

It concerns metal working.
The name of the group is rec.crafts.metalworking, right?
The last time I made and polished a silver ring, it seemed like metal to me.
:)
There are a number of people who read this group that make jewelry. One that
comes to mind is Abrasha (sorry if I spelled it wrong) who does some very fine
original design work.

I agree with you Bob, I'm a member at Ganoksin and have learned some
useful metal oriented things from their postings. I'm not a jewelry
person but appreciate the skills of other metalworkers.
If you object to jewelry postings next you'll be wanting to ban the
chastity belt repairers and the underbed implement makers. Lets
respect one another's arts and crafts and try to learn from all.
They had interesting postings on anvils recently.
Glenn

Stan Stocker July 28th 03 05:38 PM

[July 2003] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Glenn Cramond wrote:
(Bob Miller) wrote in message ...

snip
Ganoksin wrote:

[...]

Greetings,

Anyone who does miniature work, be it steam engines, model cannon, watch
work, anything small can learn quite a bit from the jewelry side of
things. Since getting involved with watch and clock repair I've learned
quite a few useful techniques for dealing with quite small parts that
apply to areas other than jewelry or timekeeping.

Cheers,
Stan

DoN. Nichols July 29th 03 12:15 AM

[July 2003] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

In article ,
From: Jim Stewart
Date: 7/25/2003 2:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Ganoksin wrote:
The Ganoksin Project
S i n c e 1 9 9 6
Jewelry Manufacturing Methods and Techniques

Multiple pages and 3 crossposts snipped...

Is there a reason why this is posted here?

It concerns metal working.
The name of the group is rec.crafts.metalworking, right?
The last time I made and polished a silver ring, it seemed like metal to me.
:)

So -- is there a reason why I find it invisible? Did it
possibly have attachments? Some news servers block attachments in
non-binary newsgroups, including someone along the path to my system, so
anything with binary attachments just vanishes. (BTW -- I *approve* of
such blocking -- binary attachments don't belong in discussion
newsgroups.)

Or was this posted some time ago, and may have expired already?

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Greg N. July 29th 03 10:15 AM

[July 2003] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(snipped)

So -- is there a reason why I find it invisible? Did it
possibly have attachments? Some news servers block attachments in
non-binary newsgroups, including someone along the path to my system, so
anything with binary attachments just vanishes. (BTW -- I *approve* of
such blocking -- binary attachments don't belong in discussion
newsgroups.)

Or was this posted some time ago, and may have expired already?

Enjoy,
DoN.

I agree with blocking such binaries too, DoN, but i didn't see any
attached to the original post.

I've pasted the original below, minus the bulk of the body, in case
you're interested in the header.

Regards,
Greg N.

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.gemstones, rec.crafts.metalworking,
rec.crafts.beads, rec.crafts.misc
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:09:53 GMT
rec.crafts.metalworking:440734 rec.crafts.beads:80613
rec.crafts.misc:40974

The Ganoksin Project
S i n c e 1 9 9 6
Jewelry Manufacturing Methods and Techniques
http://www.ganoksin.com

In This Edition:

(snipped)

Enjoy
Hanuman

Bob Miller July 29th 03 04:03 PM

[July 2003] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

From: (DoN. Nichols)
Date: 7/28/2003 7:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time

snip
So -- is there a reason why I find it invisible? Did it
possibly have attachments?

if you are referring to me, I did not send any attachments. I just replied to
the post.

DoN. Nichols July 30th 03 03:51 AM

[July 2003] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

In article ,
Greg N. wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

(snipped)

So -- is there a reason why I find it invisible? Did it
possibly have attachments? Some news servers block attachments in

[ ... ]

Or was this posted some time ago, and may have expired already?

[ ... ]

I agree with blocking such binaries too, DoN, but i didn't see any
attached to the original post.

I've pasted the original below, minus the bulk of the body, in case
you're interested in the header.

Thanks! No obvious reason why it never got here. Date is
recent. ISP is one which I am not blocking. (I'm blocking a very few
news servers -- one because it was not only the hose of Cass (which
would not take action on any complaints), but also it turned out to host
a bunch of trolls who made news.admin.net-abuse.usenet unreadable.
(They are there for the same reason -- the ISP doesn't honor complaints,
no matter how valid.) My wife is very happy with the results of
blocking that news server. :-)

The others are ones which Hipcrime seems to favor for his
attacks on news.admin.net-abuse.email (and other usenet newsgroups.)
Rather than have my news server's load average go sky high trying to
reject them on the basis of contents, I just toss them on receipt. :-)

I can always tell when there is one of the attacks going on,
because my logs show several hundred to a thousand rejected articles
from that news server, instead of the typical two or three. :-) (Granted,
I only carry a small subset of the news groups, far from the whole
thing. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

DoN. Nichols July 30th 03 03:56 AM

From: (DoN. Nichols)
Date: 7/28/2003 7:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time

snip
So -- is there a reason why I find it invisible? Did it
possibly have attachments?

if you are referring to me, I did not send any attachments. I just replied to
the post.

Nope! I was referring to the original article, which never made
it here, and wondering why it might not have made it. Attachments could
have been one possible reason. I've now been assured that it did not
have any, so that is now out. Just one of the mysteries of usenet
distribution, I guess.

Enjoy,
DoN.