Jake in Escondido

Default Grit Media?

I have some nice ceramic tiles that are heavily incrusted with water
deposits (Metal content- calcium). They are vertical and quite a few
square feet and acid washing is not practical. It was recommended that I
sandblast the deposits. I don't want to damage the tile, so I was
wondering what might be the best medium to blast them with. Any ideas or
cautions?

TIA

Jake in Escondido

Gary Owens

Jake;
Even with a small pencil blaster you will remove the glaze very rapidly,
use chemicals or just ignore it. I did the tile on my pool with acid and it
came out nice.
gary

"Jake in Escondido" wrote in message
I have some nice ceramic tiles that are heavily incrusted with water
deposits (Metal content- calcium). They are vertical and quite a few square
feet and acid washing is not practical. It was recommended that I sandblast
the deposits. I don't want to damage the tile, so I was wondering what
might be the best medium to blast them with. Any ideas or cautions?

TIA

Jake in Escondido

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 16 May 2005 11:52:16 -0700, Jake in Escondido wrote:
I have some nice ceramic tiles that are heavily incrusted with water
deposits (Metal content- calcium). They are vertical and quite a few
square feet and acid washing is not practical. It was recommended that I
sandblast the deposits. I don't want to damage the tile, so I was
wondering what might be the best medium to blast them with. Any ideas or
cautions?

I've read that baking soda is used for sensitive areas. Not sure how
it'd work for your use. Otherwise, walnut or plastic beads might do the
trick.

wallster

I want to be the first guy to tell you NOT to use sand because the
silica particles can become lodged in your lungs and cause silicosis of
the lungs... i'm always the reader of this warning, never the writer. I
would also NOT use aluminum oxide, too aggressive. I do like the baking
soda idea (people have used that on fiberglass corvette bodies with
great success) and the crushed walnut shells seems to work well on
softer metals. (somebody here said pet stores sell it as small critter
bedding)
Good luck,
walt

ATP*

I have some nice ceramic tiles that are heavily incrusted with water
deposits (Metal content- calcium). They are vertical and quite a few square
feet and acid washing is not practical. It was recommended that I sandblast
the deposits. I don't want to damage the tile, so I was wondering what
might be the best medium to blast them with. Any ideas or cautions?

TIA

Jake in Escondido

I've used baking soda on a few bathrooms, with no visible damage to the tile
glaze, but it makes a friggin mess, will peel latex paint off, takes a lot
of baking soda and you need a very precise media valve on your blaster. I'm
not sure why you say an acid wash is impractical. If at all possible, I
would try a phosphoric acid based cleaner. This product has worked well on
some nasty deposits:

http://www.spartanchemical.com/web/P...C?OpenDocument

It can be applied with a garden sprayer but protect yourself from the fumes

Try some white vinegar first.

Bob May

Any abrasive blasting will destroy the finish on the tiles.
That leaves things like acid washes, CLR and it's competitors, Coke and
vinegar (acid washes in other terms) for taking care of the problem.
Yep, it is a mess but you ain't gonna do it any other way without risk of
destroying the tiles.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

Loren Amelang

wrote:

I have some nice ceramic tiles that are heavily incrusted with water
deposits (Metal content- calcium). They are vertical and quite a few
square feet and acid washing is not practical. It was recommended that I
sandblast the deposits. I don't want to damage the tile, so I was
wondering what might be the best medium to blast them with. Any ideas or
cautions?

I have a similar problem with unglazed tile. Well, actually it is
patterned and colored concrete that simulates unglazed tile. Acid
washing doesn't differentiate between the unwanted minerals and the
original surface, and neither would blasting.

What I've found that works is a light touch with the most aggressive
nonwoven abrasive wheels from McMaster, and my 4.5" angle grinder.
With the attack angle as low as possible, and the surface dry, it
knocks the minerals loose and only slightly smooths the original
surface - provided you move on once you see the original surface. If
it is too aggressive for some areas, lowering the rotation speed works
much better than moving to a finer grit. Wear dust protection!

Loren
Jake in Escondido

Thanks All,

I guess that I will have to step back and punt. The tiles are on a spa
that allows the water to cascade down into a pool. (Horrible idea) Every
year I have to remove the residue. I have tried acids, paint scrapers
and last year I broke out the big grinder with a heavy duty
Scotch-Bright pad on it. It worked pretty well. This year the pool has
water in it, so I don't want to use that electric grinder. A local pool
guy told me that he blasts the tile. I was kind of concerned about
removing the glazing, so that is why I asked.

I guess the next step is finding some sort of phosphoric acid gel like
Naval Jelly. Damn, grit blasting sure sounded good. 8^(

Thanks again

Jake

[...]

Charles Spitzer

what about fastening your scotch-bright pad to an air tool (sander, etc)?
you'd have to have a suitable compressor to run it, of course, but it would
be safe. you could also use a buffing wheel on a flex shaft of some kind
(large foredom, for example).

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

newsbwie.41595$gc6.26103@okepread04...

[...]

Jake in Escondido

Charlie, I don't think I could get enough torque out of an air grinder.
The pad I used was 8" dia and was on 1+ hp grinder. I really had to lay
on it to make it clean the scale and get into the grout creavases. Do
you know of an inexpensive air angle grinder that might fit the bill?

Jake

[...]

Charles Spitzer

you might not need the torque. an air grinder will go so much faster and you
can use a small pad rather than such a large pad.

you can also get a flexshaft that fits a normal .5 or .75 hp motor that you
can mount a pad on. it's used, for instance, to polish car wheels in place,
typically with cone type buffers. something like this:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...ord=flex+shaft

[...]

ATP*

"Jake in Escondido" wrote in message
newsbwie.41595$gc6.26103@okepread04...
Thanks All,

I guess that I will have to step back and punt. The tiles are on a spa
that allows the water to cascade down into a pool. (Horrible idea) Every
year I have to remove the residue. I have tried acids, paint scrapers and
last year I broke out the big grinder with a heavy duty Scotch-Bright pad
on it. It worked pretty well. This year the pool has water in it, so I
don't want to use that electric grinder. A local pool guy told me that he
blasts the tile. I was kind of concerned about removing the glazing, so
that is why I asked.

I guess the next step is finding some sort of phosphoric acid gel like
Naval Jelly. Damn, grit blasting sure sounded good. 8^(

Thanks again

Jake

You could blast it with baking soda, the soda getting into the water may not
be a problem, it will just increase the pH. It does a number on grass,
bushes, etc., so any aquatic vegetation may die. Is it outside or inside?
Inside blasting with baking soda creates a major white **** storm. Outside
with a dust suppression mist ring it's more tolerable. It will come clean
fairly quickly. Wear a tyvek suit and use a decent mask.

[...]

Vim Bathroom Cleaner works well on those hard-water mineral
deposits. You could spray it on, let it soak a few minutes, wipe it
off. The stuff has a variety of acids in it.

Dan

Lew Hartswick

Jake in Escondido wrote:

Thanks All,

I guess that I will have to step back and punt. The tiles are on a spa
that allows the water to cascade down into a pool. (Horrible idea) Every
year I have to remove the residue. I have tried acids, paint scrapers
and last year I broke out the big grinder with a heavy duty
Scotch-Bright pad on it. It worked pretty well. This year the pool has
water in it, so I don't want to use that electric grinder.

Why not use the electric with an isolation transformer? That would be
safe from the "electrocution" angle. ( being sure the xfmr is rated for
the apropiate current )

Jake

...lew...

Jake in Escondido

I don't know, standing up to my chest in water with an electric grinder
in my hands while plugged into an isolation transformer doesn't give me
warm fuzzys. I haven't got that much faith. 8^)

Jake

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Jake in Escondido wrote:

Thanks All,

I guess that I will have to step back and punt. The tiles are on a spa
that allows the water to cascade down into a pool. (Horrible idea)
Every year I have to remove the residue. I have tried acids, paint
scrapers and last year I broke out the big grinder with a heavy duty
Scotch-Bright pad on it. It worked pretty well. This year the pool has
water in it, so I don't want to use that electric grinder.

Why not use the electric with an isolation transformer? That would be
safe from the "electrocution" angle. ( being sure the xfmr is rated for
the apropiate current )

Jake

...lew...

Jake in Escondido

Hey Charlie,

You win the prize. The acid was going nowhere and I was breathing too
much of it. I headed over to Harbor Fright and picked up one of their
angled pneumatic die grinders for 20 bucks (Not every job requires
quality tools, especially when it stands a good chance of getting
dropped in the water) I also got some 2" ScotchBrite disks. The set up
worked great.

Thanks all for the suggestions

Jake in Escondido