Jake in Escondido

Hey Charlie,

You win the prize. The acid was going nowhere and I was breathing too
much of it. I headed over to Harbor Fright and picked up one of their
angled pneumatic die grinders for 20 bucks (Not every job requires
quality tools, especially when it stands a good chance of getting
dropped in the water) I also got some 2" ScotchBrite disks. The set up
worked great.

Thanks all for the suggestions

Jake in Escondido

Charles Spitzer wrote:
you might not need the torque. an air grinder will go so much faster and you
can use a small pad rather than such a large pad.

you can also get a flexshaft that fits a normal .5 or .75 hp motor that you
can mount a pad on. it's used, for instance, to polish car wheels in place,
typically with cone type buffers. something like this:
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...ord=flex+shaft

"Jake in Escondido" wrote in message

Charlie, I don't think I could get enough torque out of an air grinder.
The pad I used was 8" dia and was on 1+ hp grinder. I really had to lay on
it to make it clean the scale and get into the grout creavases. Do you
know of an inexpensive air angle grinder that might fit the bill?

Jake

Charles Spitzer wrote:

what about fastening your scotch-bright pad to an air tool (sander, etc)?
you'd have to have a suitable compressor to run it, of course, but it
would be safe. you could also use a buffing wheel on a flex shaft of some
kind (large foredom, for example).

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

"Jake in Escondido" wrote in message
newsbwie.41595$gc6.26103@okepread04...

Thanks All,

I guess that I will have to step back and punt. The tiles are on a spa
that allows the water to cascade down into a pool. (Horrible idea) Every
year I have to remove the residue. I have tried acids, paint scrapers and
last year I broke out the big grinder with a heavy duty Scotch-Bright pad
on it. It worked pretty well. This year the pool has water in it, so I
don't want to use that electric grinder. A local pool guy told me that
he blasts the tile. I was kind of concerned about removing the glazing,
so that is why I asked.

I guess the next step is finding some sort of phosphoric acid gel like
Naval Jelly. Damn, grit blasting sure sounded good. 8^(

Thanks again

Jake

ATP* wrote:

"Jake in Escondido" wrote in message

I have some nice ceramic tiles that are heavily incrusted with water
deposits (Metal content- calcium). They are vertical and quite a few
square feet and acid washing is not practical. It was recommended that
I sandblast the deposits. I don't want to damage the tile, so I was
wondering what might be the best medium to blast them with. Any ideas
or cautions?

TIA

Jake in Escondido

I've used baking soda on a few bathrooms, with no visible damage to the
tile glaze, but it makes a friggin mess, will peel latex paint off,
takes a lot of baking soda and you need a very precise media valve on
your blaster. I'm not sure why you say an acid wash is impractical. If
at all possible, I would try a phosphoric acid based cleaner. This
product has worked well on some nasty deposits:

http://www.spartanchemical.com/web/P...C?OpenDocument

It can be applied with a garden sprayer but protect yourself from the
fumes