Peter Grey

Default Round metal stock (for lathe owners)

"Ignoramus18353" wrote in message
So, where do people buy round metal stock for turning? I have a few
odds and ends at home, but not much. As always, I do not want to spend
a fortune.

I often use Online Metals and am generally happy with them.

Peter

http://www.onlinemetals.com/

John Hofstad-Parkhill

I get 90% of my non-steel stock from Kirschbaum & Krupp, a local
non-ferrous metal recycler. Not convenient for you, but the concept may
be valid. I'd look for similar outlets where you live. It's not
reliable, but I find treasures there for pennies compared to retail.

Ignoramus18353 said the following on 5/12/2005 3:09 PM:
So, where do people buy round metal stock for turning? I have a few
odds and ends at home, but not much. As always, I do not want to spend
a fortune.

Grant Erwin

Ignoramus18353 wrote:

So, where do people buy round metal stock for turning? I have a few
odds and ends at home, but not much. As always, I do not want to spend
a fortune.

Think about it. If you are going to spend say 20 hours machining something,
how much is it worth? If you value your time at all, the material cost will
be just about negligible compared to the machining time. It is worth it to
get the optimum material in many cases. I've made lots of bushings from
pipe because I was lazy, but if they had to be very precise, I would go
buy 12L14 or bronze or something.

The place to buy lathe stock is from the cutoffs rack of your local steel
vendor. In the Seattle area, you could go to Summerville Steel in Kent,
Washington. If you posted your location, maybe someone knows of a local
source. Else you're stuck paying shipping which will kill you.

GWE
Jordan

I just discovered auto axles - interesting stuff to machine.
Seems hard on the outside, for about 1/8 inch deep, probably due to oil
quenching when hot? Gives the tool a workout! Below that it's easier to
turn, more like mild steel.
Jeff Wisnia

Ignoramus18353 wrote:
So, where do people buy round metal stock for turning? I have a few
odds and ends at home, but not much. As always, I do not want to spend
a fortune.

Don't overlook eBay. Look for "bar stock" (in quotes) there are lots of
folks selling bar ends from a few inches to a foot or more in length at
very reasonable prices.

I built up a pretty good "hell box" of aluminum and brass rounds that
way. Some of the sellers pack them into those USPS cardboard envelopes
which let you mail "Anything you can fit inside them." for a flat rate,
even though the weight may be pretty high.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Gary Brady

Ignoramus18353 wrote:
So, where do people buy round metal stock for turning? I have a few
odds and ends at home, but not much. As always, I do not want to spend
a fortune.

My local scrap metal dealer often has round shapes for $.20/lb. Of
course, they're of unknown composition, but usually they machine better
than mild steel.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Richard W.

"Ignoramus18353" wrote in message
So, where do people buy round metal stock for turning? I have a few
odds and ends at home, but not much. As always, I do not want to spend
a fortune.

I got to steel suppliers that also do custom cutting. They have a box of
odds and ends and short bars 2 to 3' long. Last time I bought some it was 25
cents a pound and it's been a while since I have bought any. What's nice is
they often still have the paint on 1 end so you know just what you are
buying. Just keep throwing pieces on the scale until your pocket book can't
handle any more.

Richard W.

John Chase

Ignoramus18353 wrote:

So, where do people buy round metal stock for turning? I have a few
odds and ends at home, but not much. As always, I do not want to spend
a fortune.

I get small qtys of 4150 CM from my friendly neighborhood gunbarrel maker.
Occasionally get some stainless, too.

-jc-
Siggy

Funny. I just replied privately to Gary with this exact same question. Up
until about 5 minutes ago I wasn't sure there was anyone else in Austin that
did metalwork. Now I know there are at least 3 of us... Cool.

Robert

"Emmo" wrote in message
And who is your local scrap dealer? I am also in Austin and I can't
afford Westbrook anymore...

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
.net...
Ignoramus18353 wrote:
So, where do people buy round metal stock for turning? I have a few
odds and ends at home, but not much. As always, I do not want to spend
a fortune.

My local scrap metal dealer often has round shapes for $.20/lb. Of
course, they're of unknown composition, but usually they machine better
than mild steel.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Gary Brady

Siggy wrote:
Funny. I just replied privately to Gary with this exact same question. Up
until about 5 minutes ago I wasn't sure there was anyone else in Austin that
did metalwork. Now I know there are at least 3 of us... Cool.

Robert

HeHe. Too much music and computers around Austin for any interest in
metal(working). We're a rare and strange breed around here. Maybe we
need to have a meeting or two. I'll sponsor a metalcasting session.

Gary
Gary Brady

Emmo wrote:
And who is your local scrap dealer? I am also in Austin and I can't afford
Westbrook anymore...

I go to Commercial Metals on Industrial Blvd, just south of Ben White.
They have a section of used stuff, a lot of tubes, angles, plates, etc
that you can scrounge in. Price was $.20/# last time I was there (4-5
months ago). There is another yard affiliated with Commercial Metals on
Howard Lane. Look in the Yellow Pages and their address will be listed
along with CM. There's also Austn Pipe and Supply on 4th and I35
(approx). Kind of a junky place though, and not as well sorted as CM.

Gary
carl mciver

"Richard W." wrote in message

| I got to steel suppliers that also do custom cutting. They have a box of
| odds and ends and short bars 2 to 3' long. Last time I bought some it was
25
| cents a pound and it's been a while since I have bought any. What's nice
is
| they often still have the paint on 1 end so you know just what you are
| buying. Just keep throwing pieces on the scale until your pocket book
can't
| handle any more.
|
| Richard W.

Which reminds me... How do I learn what colors mean what? Is there a
link I can stash away (to remember that I don't have when I'm at the yard?)

Harold and Susan Vordos

"carl mciver" wrote in message
news
"Richard W." wrote in message

| I got to steel suppliers that also do custom cutting. They have a box of
| odds and ends and short bars 2 to 3' long. Last time I bought some it

was
25
| cents a pound and it's been a while since I have bought any. What's nice
is
| they often still have the paint on 1 end so you know just what you are
| buying. Just keep throwing pieces on the scale until your pocket book
can't
| handle any more.
|
| Richard W.

Which reminds me... How do I learn what colors mean what? Is there a
link I can stash away (to remember that I don't have when I'm at the

yard?)

Sadly, the color coding system of metals is not industry wide. Unless you
have the coding system from each particular mill and know from which mill
the material comes, you'll still be in the dark.

Harold

Gunner

On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:08:23 -0700, "Richard W."
wrote:

"Ignoramus18353" wrote in message
So, where do people buy round metal stock for turning? I have a few
odds and ends at home, but not much. As always, I do not want to spend
a fortune.

I got to steel suppliers that also do custom cutting. They have a box of
odds and ends and short bars 2 to 3' long. Last time I bought some it was 25
cents a pound and it's been a while since I have bought any. What's nice is
they often still have the paint on 1 end so you know just what you are
buying. Just keep throwing pieces on the scale until your pocket book can't
handle any more.

Richard W.

A hint for those who buy or scrounge drops.. buy one of those Dychem
paint pens for $3, and when picking out the painted drops, refer to
the dealers color code chart, and mark the material type on the drop.
Takes just a second.

Color codes are NOT universal and Acme Steel will use a different
color code from Neighborhood Steel.

What may be 303 and marked Pink in one place, may be CRS in another.

I get my bar ends etc directly from the machine shops while doing
service work, and always ask what the material really is, then mark it
before tossing it in the truck. Even a permanent marker will work.

Gunner

"Veterans, and anyone sensible, take cover when there's incoming.
A cloud of testosterone makes a **** poor flack shield."
Offbreed
Jeff Wisnia

Ignoramus18353 wrote:

On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:01:01 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

ebay

good idea, thank you.

way. Some of the sellers pack them into those USPS cardboard
envelopes which let you mail "Anything you can fit inside them." for
a flat rate, even though the weight may be pretty high.

that's highly unadvisable, these envelopes are not strong enough. I
got burned on that once.

I didn't say it was ME who mailed them that way. G

But, the sellers did tape the stock together and then the envelopes
(like mummys) with clear packaging tape. I think it would have taken a
nuclear weapon or concerted effort to tear the cardboard enough to let
the stock get separated from the address in transit.

Reminds me of my halcion days when I got really ****ed off at those damn
loose "shot in" postpaid reply cards falling out of a magazine so I had
to bend down to pick it off the floor when my hands were already full.

I taped a few of them onto bricks and dropped them in mailboxes.

That was before the Feds made it illegal to maliciously return those
kind of cards 'yknow. Now, if you just cram everything in a junk mailing
into its postpaid reply envelope and mail it you could be in trouble
with the eagle if they somehow cought up with you.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

I buy most mine on eBay and although the cost of shipping frequently
exceeds the bid price of the stock I purchase, it's still cheaper than
buying it from the metal dealers here in the Boston area.

Harry C.

Dave August

If it'll fit in one of my chucks I really don't care WHAT shape it started
as, it'll be round when I'm done.

I was doing a project that required some round Delrin, I found some nice
square pieces at a scrap yard. The lathe didn't care nor did I.

Dave

"Ignoramus18353" wrote in message
So, where do people buy round metal stock for turning? I have a few
odds and ends at home, but not much. As always, I do not want to spend
a fortune.

Jeff Wisnia

Ignoramus633 wrote:

That was before the Feds made it illegal to maliciously return those
kind of cards 'yknow. Now, if you just cram everything in a junk mailing
into its postpaid reply envelope and mail it you could be in trouble
with the eagle if they somehow cought up with you.

I did not know that it was illegal.... So, if Iwrite **** YOU on such
a card, and mail it back, I am doing something illegal?

I'm pretty sure I read that it was illegal more than ten years ago. It
made sense to me because the perps were clearly intending to make the
advertiser have to pay a Business Reply postage expense with no
intention of it turning into a business transaction.

But you've challenged me, and I'm going to try and find out if there
really is such a law. I'll report back later.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Richard W.

"Richard W." wrote in message

| I got to steel suppliers that also do custom cutting. They have a box of
| odds and ends and short bars 2 to 3' long. Last time I bought some it

was
25
| cents a pound and it's been a while since I have bought any. What's nice
is
| they often still have the paint on 1 end so you know just what you are
| buying. Just keep throwing pieces on the scale until your pocket book
can't
| handle any more.
|
| Richard W.

Which reminds me... How do I learn what colors mean what? Is there a
link I can stash away (to remember that I don't have when I'm at the

yard?)

Each steel supplier has their own colors, so you can get a chart from them.
If you buy steel from some place else the colors are different, so you need
their chart to. If you buy from several places then mark or stamp it on the
ends so you know what it is. If you don't then you have problems telling
what you have.

Richard W.

Orrin Iseminger

On 12 May 2005 20:09:02 GMT, Ignoramus18353
wrote:

So, where do people buy round metal stock for turning? I have a few
odds and ends at home, but not much. As always, I do not want to spend
a fortune.

From time-to-tiome I stop by Pacific Steel and Recycling. They have a
pile of short ends that they sell for reduced price.

Over in their metal salvage area the boys take good care of me.
Whenever any of the local fabricators clean house they sell perfectly
good virgin aluminum "short" ends that are sometimes five or six feet
long. The crew at Pacific sets this stuff to one side for me.

They let me scrounge through their boxes of brass and bronze salvage.
I've gotten a wide assortment of shapes, some of it new. One day I
scored on 1/4" X 6" brass bar stock. They'd chopped it up in lengths
to fit their tri-wall boxes. I wish now that I'd bought it all.

Another amazing find was unused 5" copper pipe with quarter-inch wall
thickness. Again, they'd chopped it up with a Sawzall to fit in the
boxes. Someday, if I ever get around to building a model boiler...

Out in the iron piles I look for truck axles. They're harder than
heck, so I burn them to convenient lengths and throw them into the
wood stove when I've got a good, thick bed of hot coals in there. I
let the fire go out, allowing a nice, slow cooldown of the axle stock.
After the anealing it machines very well.

Sometimes, I'll stop by at the local big truck overhaul shop.
Generally, they'll give me anything I find in their scrap bin. I've
found some very nice pieces of brass out there. Maybe a truck
mechanic could set me straight on this, but I *think* they come from a
two-speed differential overhaul.

Another of my favorite stops is a fabricating shop. After they got a
computer-controlled plasma cutter they've started generating tons of
good stuff.

Use your imagination. It's out there at a reasonable price.

Orrin
Tom

wrote:

So, where do people buy round metal stock for turning? I have a few
odds and ends at home, but not much. As always, I do not want to spend
a fortune.

Sometimes, I'll stop by at the local big truck overhaul shop.
Generally, they'll give me anything I find in their scrap bin. I've
found some very nice pieces of brass out there. Maybe a truck
mechanic could set me straight on this, but I *think* they come from a
two-speed differential overhaul.

Orrin

Have a cigar, Orrin, although they're better than brass, they are
the shafts that the pinions run on in the epicyclic geartrain in
a Eaton style 2 speed rear axle.
Every toolbox should have one as an intermediary between a big hammer
and something resisting movement.

Tom
Jeff Wisnia

Ignoramus633 wrote:

On Fri, 13 May 2005 12:41:04 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Ignoramus18353 wrote:

On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:01:01 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

ebay

good idea, thank you.

way. Some of the sellers pack them into those USPS cardboard
envelopes which let you mail "Anything you can fit inside them." for
a flat rate, even though the weight may be pretty high.

that's highly unadvisable, these envelopes are not strong enough. I
got burned on that once.

I didn't say it was ME who mailed them that way. G

But, the sellers did tape the stock together and then the envelopes
(like mummys) with clear packaging tape. I think it would have taken a
nuclear weapon or concerted effort to tear the cardboard enough to let
the stock get separated from the address in transit.

A USPS clerk told me that I am not allowed to put tape over those
envelopes. (!)

USPS has so many of those stupid unknown rules etc, that I try to use
them as little as possible. I never know what is going to bite me next
time and get my package returned.

That was before the Feds made it illegal to maliciously return those
kind of cards 'yknow. Now, if you just cram everything in a junk mailing
into its postpaid reply envelope and mail it you could be in trouble
with the eagle if they somehow cought up with you.

I did not know that it was illegal.... So, if Iwrite **** YOU on such
a card, and mail it back, I am doing something illegal?

The only thing I could find is this Cecil Adams piece on the subject.
After reading it I guess I was wrong in saying it was illegal for you to
suggest autofornication on a reply card, but it does sound like you
might get in trouble with the eagle for "abuse of the mails" if you
started dropping bricks in mailboxes and they cought you at it. (There
are surveillance cameras all over these days y'know.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

wrote:

Ignoramus18353 wrote:

On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:01:01 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

ebay

good idea, thank you.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_356.html

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old Nick

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:23:03 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

Isn't that Gunner?
Old Nick

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:23:03 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

Isn't that Gunner?
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 25 May 2005 10:14:47 +0800, Old Nick nsnsafemail#iinet.net.au wrote:
On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:23:03 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Isn't that Gunner?

Dunno. What makes you think that?