Gunner

On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:08:23 -0700, "Richard W."
wrote:

"Ignoramus18353" wrote in message
So, where do people buy round metal stock for turning? I have a few
odds and ends at home, but not much. As always, I do not want to spend
a fortune.

I got to steel suppliers that also do custom cutting. They have a box of
odds and ends and short bars 2 to 3' long. Last time I bought some it was 25
cents a pound and it's been a while since I have bought any. What's nice is
they often still have the paint on 1 end so you know just what you are
buying. Just keep throwing pieces on the scale until your pocket book can't
handle any more.

Richard W.

A hint for those who buy or scrounge drops.. buy one of those Dychem
paint pens for $3, and when picking out the painted drops, refer to
the dealers color code chart, and mark the material type on the drop.
Takes just a second.

Color codes are NOT universal and Acme Steel will use a different
color code from Neighborhood Steel.

What may be 303 and marked Pink in one place, may be CRS in another.

I get my bar ends etc directly from the machine shops while doing
service work, and always ask what the material really is, then mark it
before tossing it in the truck. Even a permanent marker will work.

Gunner

"Veterans, and anyone sensible, take cover when there's incoming.
A cloud of testosterone makes a **** poor flack shield."
Offbreed