Grant Erwin

Default vertical bandsaw question

I picked up a Walker Turner 14" bandsaw years ago and it has been
a project ever since. I have done a lot of work on almost every
part of the saw. I had never gotten it running but today I did and
took a nice smooth quiet cut through some 3/8" steel plate. That's
what I'm talkin' about ..

Anyway, this thing came without the little insert that goes in the
hole in the table. It isn't too hard to figure out how to make the
part that goes in there, but I'm wondering about the slot.

Many bandsaw blades are about .025" thick. How wide should the slot
in the insert be? Also, I figure I'll wind up using a slitting saw
to make the cut - does anyone have a good idea how to hold this
part for slitting? It's a disc of steel about 2" in diameter and
about 0.200" thick ..

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Gunner

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:27:05 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I picked up a Walker Turner 14" bandsaw years ago and it has been
a project ever since. I have done a lot of work on almost every
part of the saw. I had never gotten it running but today I did and
took a nice smooth quiet cut through some 3/8" steel plate. That's
what I'm talkin' about ..

Anyway, this thing came without the little insert that goes in the
hole in the table. It isn't too hard to figure out how to make the
part that goes in there, but I'm wondering about the slot.

Many bandsaw blades are about .025" thick. How wide should the slot
in the insert be? Also, I figure I'll wind up using a slitting saw
to make the cut - does anyone have a good idea how to hold this
part for slitting? It's a disc of steel about 2" in diameter and
about 0.200" thick ..

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Grant, I just went out and measured my WT 16", and the slot is .30
wide. Remember that many of thes saws are used to cut close radius
with the 1/4" blades and they will indeed twist.

Gunner

"What do you call someone in possesion of all the facts? Paranoid.-William Burroughs
Mike Graham

In article , Grant Erwin wrote:

Anyway, this thing came without the little insert that goes in the
hole in the table. It isn't too hard to figure out how to make the
part that goes in there, but I'm wondering about the slot.

Every one of them that I've seen was all beat up from contour cuts anyway.
Undoubtedly the easiest way to cut it would be to just use the bandsaw to
cut the slot.

http://www.metalmangler.com| Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Roy Hauer

I am not familiar with the W/T bandsaw, but if the table tilts it will
need room for the insert clearance when its tilted. Why could you not
drill a hole at the innermost ppoint the blade will be, and then use
the saw to make the two paralell cuts to finish off the slot.

\
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:27:40 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

x-On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:27:05 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:
x-
x-I picked up a Walker Turner 14" bandsaw years ago and it has been
x-a project ever since. I have done a lot of work on almost every
x-part of the saw. I had never gotten it running but today I did and
x-took a nice smooth quiet cut through some 3/8" steel plate. That's
x-what I'm talkin' about ..
x-
x-Anyway, this thing came without the little insert that goes in the
x-hole in the table. It isn't too hard to figure out how to make the
x-part that goes in there, but I'm wondering about the slot.
x-
x-Many bandsaw blades are about .025" thick. How wide should the slot
x-in the insert be? Also, I figure I'll wind up using a slitting saw
x-to make the cut - does anyone have a good idea how to hold this
x-part for slitting? It's a disc of steel about 2" in diameter and
x-about 0.200" thick ..
x-
x-Grant Erwin
x-Kirkland, Washington
x-
x-Grant, I just went out and measured my WT 16", and the slot is .30
x-wide. Remember that many of thes saws are used to cut close radius
x-with the 1/4" blades and they will indeed twist.
x-
x-Gunner
x-
x-"What do you call someone in possesion of all the facts? Paranoid.-William Burroughs

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
Grant Erwin

Tilting table - ah, yes. Good point, Roy.

I can of course do a freehand cut with a bandsaw, and of course it
will work. But I want one that's machined and, well, right! I went
to a lot of trouble to make this little insert and get it ground
perfectly flat and just the right thickness. Now I want to do a
good slit in it. I suppose I'll just grab it in the mill vise and
have at it with a slitting saw, then open it up a little with a
riffler file. - Grant

wrote:
[...]

Old Nick

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:21:32 -0400, Mike Graham
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

I have only used a BS for wood, but I tend to agree. The thing will
undoubtedly get a bing or two from a blade within a very short time.
Unless you cut very thin sheet, the tolerance of the insert slot is
not that critical.

In article , Grant Erwin wrote:

Anyway, this thing came without the little insert that goes in the
hole in the table. It isn't too hard to figure out how to make the
part that goes in there, but I'm wondering about the slot.

Every one of them that I've seen was all beat up from contour cuts anyway.
Undoubtedly the easiest way to cut it would be to just use the bandsaw to
cut the slot.

http://www.metalmangler.com| Caledon, Ontario, Canada

************************************************** ****************************************
Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/
Grant Erwin

I took Mike's advice and just cut a slot in it with the saw .. it
doesn't look perfect but it works just fine. Important thing is now
I have a working vertical bandsaw again!

Grant

tilt batten question tom patton UK diy 0 April 2nd 04 08:53 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Enco 7X12 Bandsaw Question ( repost) Johnsorj Metalworking 2 July 10th 03 04:32 AM
Enco 7X12 Bandsaw Question Jim Stewart Metalworking 0 July 9th 03 09:46 PM