V8TR4

Default Bending tubes

I am considering doing a go kart kit. I actually want to build a kit, even
though I can probably be better off buying it already made. I want the joy
of building it myself. I am looking at some plans that use 1.5" and 2" .090
wall mild steel round tube. I will need to be able to do some basic bending
to these tubes. What are some cheap ways of doing this. I was considering a
conduit bender. The kind you get from home depot for 30 bucks or so. Would
that work for a one time project not needing too many bends?

Harborfreight has some pipe benders,and I know that means 2" is not 2", but
is there some way to use one of these seemingly cool hydraulic pipe bendres
they sell?

this will be a one time deal, so I'm not looking for anything professional,
but I'm looking for any suggestions.

Thanks

Tom

V8TR4 wrote:

I am considering doing a go kart kit. I actually want to build a kit, even
though I can probably be better off buying it already made. I want the joy
of building it myself. I am looking at some plans that use 1.5" and 2" .090
wall mild steel round tube. I will need to be able to do some basic bending
to these tubes. What are some cheap ways of doing this. I was considering a
conduit bender. The kind you get from home depot for 30 bucks or so. Would
that work for a one time project not needing too many bends?

Harborfreight has some pipe benders,and I know that means 2" is not 2", but
is there some way to use one of these seemingly cool hydraulic pipe bendres
they sell?

this will be a one time deal, so I'm not looking for anything professional,
but I'm looking for any suggestions.

Thanks

Obviously your choice of materials means you are determined
to improve on the rigidity of your TR chassis? :-)

Tom
Alex H. Sallwey

I have one of these benders. I have only used it on black pipe and it bends
well. With mine I have to use it sitting vertically, or just somewhat
tilted, but could not use it laying flat. Not sure why, but no hydraulic
pressure. This is only a problem when bending long pipes, I was putting a
couple of bends in a 2" x 21' pipe. Sitting vertically I could only make a
few inches of bend before the ends touched the ground. You will be doing
shorter lengths so you probably won't encounter the problem I had.

"V8TR4" wrote in message
[...]

RoyJ

The hydraulic pipe benders will kink that thin wall tube even if you can
get a shoe that will fit your tube tightly.

For a one off project, I'd suggest getting the tubing bent by a local
race car builder, bending shop or whatever. We got 4 pieces of 1-1/4 x
..049 material with 2 bends each done for $40 total on our last project.

http://students.sae.org/competitions...st/2004pix.htm

V8TR4 wrote:
I am considering doing a go kart kit. I actually want to build a kit, even
though I can probably be better off buying it already made. I want the joy
of building it myself. I am looking at some plans that use 1.5" and 2" .090
wall mild steel round tube. I will need to be able to do some basic bending
to these tubes. What are some cheap ways of doing this. I was considering a
conduit bender. The kind you get from home depot for 30 bucks or so. Would
that work for a one time project not needing too many bends?

Harborfreight has some pipe benders,and I know that means 2" is not 2", but
is there some way to use one of these seemingly cool hydraulic pipe bendres
they sell?

this will be a one time deal, so I'm not looking for anything professional,
but I'm looking for any suggestions.

Thanks

habbi

Try a muffler shop, my local one does bends for me in 1.5" aluminum sch. 40
pipe for 5 bucks a bend. One of there shoes may fit your tubing.

"V8TR4" wrote in message
[...]

Evaporative Coolers/Fans etc..? N. Thornton UK diy 6 August 8th 04 08:38 PM
Need termite advice - found mud tubes don't see active termites in them Doc Home Repair 5 October 27th 03 07:10 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM
scroll bending jig Keith Marshall Metalworking 0 July 10th 03 01:57 AM