Mike Henry

Default Zamac bar stock?

Does anyone sell Zamac bar stock? I'm doing some repairs on a little
sliding table saw and there's a little flange on the arbor that needs to be
replaced. It's non-magnetic, appears to have been cast, and looks like the
gears that were on my old Craftsman lathe.

McMaster-Carr sells a zinc alloy ingot that might work. It's 95% Zn, 4% Al,
and 0.1% Cu, which seems to be pretty similar to Zamac 3 or 7. Would that
alloy be machinable in a non-critical application?

Mike

Gunner

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:40:42 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

Does anyone sell Zamac bar stock? I'm doing some repairs on a little
sliding table saw and there's a little flange on the arbor that needs to be
replaced. It's non-magnetic, appears to have been cast, and looks like the
gears that were on my old Craftsman lathe.

McMaster-Carr sells a zinc alloy ingot that might work. It's 95% Zn, 4% Al,
and 0.1% Cu, which seems to be pretty similar to Zamac 3 or 7. Would that
alloy be machinable in a non-critical application?

Mike

????? Why not simply use aluminum and be done with it? Or steel?

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Mike Henry

wrote:

Does anyone sell Zamac bar stock? I'm doing some repairs on a little
sliding table saw and there's a little flange on the arbor that needs to
be
replaced. It's non-magnetic, appears to have been cast, and looks like
the
gears that were on my old Craftsman lathe.

McMaster-Carr sells a zinc alloy ingot that might work. It's 95% Zn, 4%
Al,
and 0.1% Cu, which seems to be pretty similar to Zamac 3 or 7. Would that
alloy be machinable in a non-critical application?

Mike

????? Why not simply use aluminum and be done with it? Or steel?

Good point and one I'd meant to ask about before getting distracted by
Googling for Zamac. I was thinking that brass might make a nice contrast,
though. The Zamac part can be seen on the arbor he

http://member.newsguy.com/~mphenry/ATF-ModelMC-2.JPG

It's the tapered "washer" on the RH side of the arbor. I'm wondering why
Zamac was selected for this application and if the reason will influence the
selection of an alternate material.

A page describing the saw is he

http://member.newsguy.com/~mphenry/atf_printer's_saw.htm

Mike

Mike Henry

wrote:

Does anyone sell Zamac bar stock? I'm doing some repairs on a little
sliding table saw and there's a little flange on the arbor that needs to
be
replaced. It's non-magnetic, appears to have been cast, and looks like
the
gears that were on my old Craftsman lathe.

McMaster-Carr sells a zinc alloy ingot that might work. It's 95% Zn, 4%
Al,
and 0.1% Cu, which seems to be pretty similar to Zamac 3 or 7. Would that
alloy be machinable in a non-critical application?

Mike

????? Why not simply use aluminum and be done with it? Or steel?

Good point and one I'd meant to ask about before getting distracted by
Googling for Zamac. I was thinking that brass might make a nice color
contrast,
though. The Zamac part can be seen on the arbor he

http://member.newsguy.com/~mphenry/ATF-ModelMC-2.JPG

It's the tapered "washer" on the RH side of the arbor. I'm wondering why
Zamac was selected for this application and if the reason will influence the
selection of an alternate material.

A page describing the saw is he

http://member.newsguy.com/~mphenry/atf_printer's_saw.htm

Mike

Gunner

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:06:14 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Zmac (basicly pot metal) is used in many cases for one reason. Its
cheap and easy to cast. Period.

Machining adds cost.

Use brass or anything that flips your dress up, and do it right.