funster

Default Does anybody sell pre-made dovetail stock?

I am building a small project using only stock parts requiring no
additional machining. I want to buy a small piece of brass dovetail
stock and its mating slide. Does anyone out there know where I can buy
some of this? I do not have access to any milling machine or the like,
but I do have access to a cut-off saw. I have done a google search,
but only can find things like square stock and hex stock. Thanks in
advance for any help.

"Everything you hear from the mass-media is completely true, except for
that rare story of which you happen to have personal knowledge"

Grant Erwin

funster wrote:

I am building a small project using only stock parts requiring no
additional machining. I want to buy a small piece of brass dovetail
stock and its mating slide. Does anyone out there know where I can buy
some of this? I do not have access to any milling machine or the like,
but I do have access to a cut-off saw. I have done a google search,
but only can find things like square stock and hex stock. Thanks in
advance for any help.

I can't say nobody sells it, but I can say I've never seen it for sale. - GWE
Fred R

Like Grant, I have never seen it for sale in the form you describe. You
might have better luck going 'higher' in your assembly tree if the
assembly resembles something available commercially. For example (maybe
not relevant in your case), you can buy leadscrew-drive machine
tables/slides in an incredible variety of sizes and precision.

If you can share a little more specifics of what you have in mind, you
will probably be deluged with suggestions here!
--
Fred R
________________

Richard J Kinch

Ned Simmons writes:

http://www.anchorlamina.com/pdf.d/FlatProducts.pdf

Wow, that's amazing. Just who buys this kind of stuff, what applications?
Koz

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Ned Simmons writes:

http://www.anchorlamina.com/pdf.d/FlatProducts.pdf

Wow, that's amazing. Just who buys this kind of stuff, what applications?

Presswork and multi-slide forming machines. It's a lit easier to build
up forming dies and slides from pre-made parts than doing it the old way
from scratch.

Didn't see many real photos but this site may give you an idea :
http://www.makeitmetal.com/DesGdln/CH7_STAMP11.HTM

Koz

funster

Thanks Everyone!!! Several hours of internet searching was futile
until I posted here. It's going to be used on a hobby type item: a
sinograph: You know that a compass can make a circle on your paper,
but this unit will make a sine wave of various amplitudes and
frequencies as it is slid across your paper. Sort of a fun item to
create, I hope.

Thanks again!

Ned Simmons wrote:
In article 1107888603.987545.276520
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, says...
I am building a small project using only stock parts requiring no
additional machining. I want to buy a small piece of brass

dovetail
stock and its mating slide. Does anyone out there know where I can

buy
some of this? I do not have access to any milling machine or the

like,
but I do have access to a cut-off saw. I have done a google

search,
but only can find things like square stock and hex stock. Thanks

in
advance for any help.

You can get bronze plated steel dovetail components from
these folks...
http://www.anchorlamina.com/r_catalogues.html

Specifically..
http://www.anchorlamina.com/pdf.d/FlatProducts.pdf

Ned Simmons

Roger Shoaf

Look for junk computer printers. Inside you will find a nice small linear
bearing and shaft that you might be able to use for your project.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

oups.com...