Old July 5th 03, 03:35 PM
Michael Rainey

Default New Free Volume and Weight Calculator

I've updated my original freeware calculator into something pretty
nice, and still free.

My "canned" description:

ME Weights 2.1 is a material weight calculator which combines power
with ease of use. Designed to calculate the volume and weight of any
combination of fifteen basic shapes and a large variety of materials
commonly used in manufacturing and construction.

Shapes include:
hexagonal, octagonal, rectangular, square, and round solid bar
round, square, and rectangular tubing
sphere, hollow sphere, pyramid, cone, cone frustum (truncated cone),
and spherical cap

Square and rectangular solid stock may also have external corner radii
defined. Square and rectangular tubing may have internal and/or
external radii defined. This allows for the calculation of a large
number of "custom" shapes.

The user identifies the material, then selects and dimensions the
shape. There is a substantial built-in material density database, or
a user-defined value may be input. Dimensional data can be input as
any combination of inches, feet, millimeters, and meters. Output can
be in U.S. or metric units.

Input may be numerical or in the form of an expression - 1.500 or 1
1/2 or 1+1/2 or 1+(1/2) or (1+1/2), among others.

The program is a single 200k file which is installed simply by copying
it to a directory of your choice. It does not modify your registry.

Screenshot, showing examples of U.S. and metric output, at:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/s/rsnmar/MEWeights21.gif

Download the program:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/s/rsnmar/MEWeights21.zip

Hope somebody finds it useful.

Mike Rainey

Old July 5th 03, 08:14 PM
Jerry Wass

I d/l to 3 1/2" floppy , tried MS Excell to open--got gibererish-- what do
you use
to open it with?? Jerry

Old July 5th 03, 08:16 PM
Excitable Boy

(Michael Rainey) wrote in message . com...

I've updated my original freeware calculator into something pretty
nice, and still free.

Download the program:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/s/rsnmar/MEWeights21.zip

Before I get all excited, is this a Win32 application ?
The screenshot doesn't look like you used MFC or any other
Microcrap-only tools ... If you don't intend to someday
turn it into a commercial program, source would allow Linux
and other Unix users to compile for their own platform ...
Or if you did it in Java - yeah, ugh, but then it would
be cross-platform ...
Old July 5th 03, 08:37 PM
Jerry Wass

Dear Mike,
I think I figgered it out--takes a zipper--last time I d/l'd a zip prog.
it was so complicated I coudn't figger it out, I didn't re-install it
after my last re-boot.
Seems like anything from MS wants to take over your computer anyhow.
( Sneaky [email protected]@*%$-) They want to make my Nutscrape unusable)--
Could you possibly send it plain text--(not zipped)--------
May A Thousand Pterodactyls lay golden eggs in your back yard!---Jerry

Old July 5th 03, 11:34 PM
Ted Edwards

sniffer wrote:

According to that program, steel weighs 3 times more than aluminium. My

That's about right.

question is, how much stronger will steel tubing be than aluminium, if the
steel tubing is 1/3 of the wall thickness of aluminium tubing?

Strength depends on the alloys being considered. There are aluminum
alloys up to about 75Ksi tensile and steels up to about 250Ksi but
whether they are practical in a given situation ...

However if you can come up with a strong enough design, the deflection
would be about the same. Steel has 3 times the weight and 3 times the
elastic modulus.

Ted

Old July 6th 03, 12:25 AM
Jerry Wass

Yeah, Mike, Works great ('cept for working backwards---I had an 8" S.S.
Sphere, put in O.D & Wt.--I.D wouldn't come up.--so I guessed I.D, *
approached till it = the wt.)---still a lot faster than working the
entire formula.--Thanks-Jerry

Michael Rainey wrote:

It's a Windows application programmed with IBasic. If you have a
problem unzipping it, email me and I'll send you the program - it's
still only around 212k with the documentation.

Mike

Old July 6th 03, 02:14 AM
Ted Edwards

Jerry Wass wrote:

Yeah, Mike, Works great ('cept for working backwards---I had an 8" S.S.
Sphere, put in O.D & Wt.--I.D wouldn't come up.--so I guessed I.D, *
approached till it = the wt.)---still a lot faster than working the
entire formula.--Thanks-Jerry

Huh? Volume of a sphere is (4/3) pi r^3.
Hollow sphere is (4/3) pi (R^3 - r^3).

How can it be faster?

Ted

Old July 7th 03, 07:05 AM
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Excitable Boy wrote:
(Michael Rainey) wrote in message . com...

I've updated my original freeware calculator into something pretty
nice, and still free.

Download the program:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/s/rsnmar/MEWeights21.zip

Before I get all excited, is this a Win32 application ?

It appears to be. It downloads as a ".zip", and "unzip -l" (on
unix) shows that it contains a ".exe" file which could be either Windows
or MS-DOS. Size of the executable is 206k, which suggests that it is
tailored for Windows. I'm not going to bother unzipping it and looking
with strings to see what usage messages it may have (like I do with new
virii. Something that claims to be a sound file, but contains strings
like "This program cannot be run in DOS mode!" is a pretty good clue
that it truly is a virus. (Unlikely in this case, of course.)

The screenshot doesn't look like you used MFC or any other
Microcrap-only tools ... If you don't intend to someday
turn it into a commercial program, source would allow Linux
and other Unix users to compile for their own platform ...
Or if you did it in Java - yeah, ugh, but then it would
be cross-platform ...

Yes -- source would be a nice thing -- then I could have a crack
at making it run on my unix boxen.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old July 7th 03, 07:09 AM
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Michael Rainey wrote:
Jerry Wass wrote in message ...
Yeah, Mike, Works great ('cept for working backwards---I had an 8" S.S.
Sphere, put in O.D & Wt.--I.D wouldn't come up.--so I guessed I.D, *
approached till it = the wt.)---still a lot faster than working the
entire formula.--Thanks-Jerry

[ ... ]

I'm not following you. A sphere has no I.D. A hollow sphere has an
I.D.. The only variable for a sphere is the outside diameter. A
hollow sphere has an outside diameter, plus an inside diameter which,
obviously, must be smaller than the outside diameter. That's the way
the program works.

Am I missing something in your comment?

I think that what he wanted to do is enter the OD and the
desired weight, and have it come up with an ID for his hollow sphere to
get the right weight.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564