Old Nick

Default New Free Volume and Weight Calculator

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:15:03 GMT, Ted Edwards wrote
something
.......and in reply I say!:

OK. Fair enough. Without sounding too smart, I think you confirmed
what I was trying to say.

I was concerned that a lot of aluminium is nowhere as ultimately
strong as even water pipe. Alum with the same yield as water pipe
would, I imagine, be quite a strong alloy compared to the local
hardware's stuff. So although the Elastic Mod may be the same for each
alloy (I know steel alters surprisingly little over the range), the
yield strength is way different.

As you say, it depends on whether you need failure strength or some
nominated bend under the allowed load.

Old Nick wrote:

I am not sure if you were among those that guided me through this
maze, but the Elastic modulus is not the whole story, from my
extensive blundering about on this subject. High tensile steel is
"stronger" than mild steel mainly because it can withstand more
distortion before Elastic Modulus (Young's) is overcome and the metal
reaches its permanent deformation point. Young's then no longer
applies.

Exactly so.

Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )