Peter Grey

Default Tubing bender questions

Hi all,

I'm investigating buying a tubing bender. Eventually I'll want to bend
tubing for a car chassis, but currently I have a need to do some decorative
type bending of square and round tubing.

I know that the Hossfield and its knockoffs will do a good job for the
chassis tubes, but I'm wondering if they can do increasing or decreasing
radius bends for the decorative stuff. I'm thinking that I could make a
series of low angle bends, each one with a larger or smaller radius than the
bend previous to "simulate" a long variable radius bend. Can the Hossfield
type benders do this? The info I can glean from the various sites I've
visited, makes me suspect that these benders can't, but since I've never
used a tubing bender before, I could easily be wrong. Can someone enlighten
me?

Thanks,

Peter

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article . net,
Peter Grey wrote:

[...]

The JD Squared and Protools benders are both very popular for car work.

http://www.pro-tools.com/

http://www.jd2.com/

There are fancier benders, but the cost will escalate rapidly.

The JD Squared Model 2 is a very affordable machine.
The real cost is in the dies.
Peter Grey

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message

The JD Squared and Protools benders are both very popular for car work.

http://www.pro-tools.com/

http://www.jd2.com/

Ernie,

Can one do increasing radius bends on these or am I looking at building or
buying a bender like the one you built that's shown on your site?

Peter

Peter Grey

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message

There are fancier benders, but the cost will escalate rapidly.

The JD Squared Model 2 is a very affordable machine.
The real cost is in the dies.

Never mind. I talked to Hossfeld and the #2 clones will do variable radius
bends.

Thanks,

Peter

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article .net,
Peter Grey wrote:

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message

The JD Squared and Protools benders are both very popular for car work.

http://www.pro-tools.com/

http://www.jd2.com/

Ernie,

Can one do increasing radius bends on these or am I looking at building or
buying a bender like the one you built that's shown on your site?

Peter

2 very different concepts and applications.

Draw benders are for making small radius bends in thin wall tube
without collapsing the tube walls.

Ring rollers (aka- angle rolls) are for making large radius bends in
tubing and bar stock.

To make a spiral tube usually requires a special CNC controlled power
bender.