DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tubing bender questions (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/103123-tubing-bender-questions.html)

Peter Grey April 18th 05 02:35 AM

Tubing bender questions

Hi all,

I'm investigating buying a tubing bender. Eventually I'll want to bend
tubing for a car chassis, but currently I have a need to do some decorative
type bending of square and round tubing.

I know that the Hossfield and its knockoffs will do a good job for the
chassis tubes, but I'm wondering if they can do increasing or decreasing
radius bends for the decorative stuff. I'm thinking that I could make a
series of low angle bends, each one with a larger or smaller radius than the
bend previous to "simulate" a long variable radius bend. Can the Hossfield
type benders do this? The info I can glean from the various sites I've
visited, makes me suspect that these benders can't, but since I've never
used a tubing bender before, I could easily be wrong. Can someone enlighten
me?

Thanks,

Peter

Ernie Leimkuhler April 18th 05 06:51 AM

In article . net,
Peter Grey wrote:

[...]

The JD Squared and Protools benders are both very popular for car work.

http://www.pro-tools.com/

http://www.jd2.com/

There are fancier benders, but the cost will escalate rapidly.

The JD Squared Model 2 is a very affordable machine.
The real cost is in the dies.

Peter Grey April 18th 05 03:03 PM

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message

The JD Squared and Protools benders are both very popular for car work.

http://www.pro-tools.com/

http://www.jd2.com/

Ernie,

Can one do increasing radius bends on these or am I looking at building or
buying a bender like the one you built that's shown on your site?

Peter

Peter Grey April 18th 05 04:51 PM

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message

There are fancier benders, but the cost will escalate rapidly.

The JD Squared Model 2 is a very affordable machine.
The real cost is in the dies.

Never mind. I talked to Hossfeld and the #2 clones will do variable radius
bends.

Thanks,

Peter

Ernie Leimkuhler April 18th 05 05:08 PM

In article .net,
Peter Grey wrote:

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message

The JD Squared and Protools benders are both very popular for car work.

http://www.pro-tools.com/

http://www.jd2.com/

Ernie,

Can one do increasing radius bends on these or am I looking at building or
buying a bender like the one you built that's shown on your site?

Peter

2 very different concepts and applications.

Draw benders are for making small radius bends in thin wall tube
without collapsing the tube walls.

Ring rollers (aka- angle rolls) are for making large radius bends in
tubing and bar stock.

To make a spiral tube usually requires a special CNC controlled power
bender.