Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Rod

Default Question on drilling and cutting angle

I'm working with 2" angle iron from home depot making a frame that will
support a dc winch motor for rolling a pool cover onto a spool. I'm having a
hard time with drilling and cutting slots.

I'm trying to drill several 1/2" holes using a bench drill press. Using
pilot holes I'm able to work my way up to 3/8" holes with no problem but as
soon as I go for the 1/2" bit it just spins and spins and doesn't want to
cut anymore. I end up forcing it down pretty hard to get through and it
takes for ever, what's the trick?

The next question that I had was, I need to cut some slots into the angle
also, so that the dc motor that I'm mounting can be adjusted a little, I've
been using a cutting torch to cut some slots but with my skills they come
out extremely messy, any good advice or ways to cut these with standard
tools? (drill, jig saw, sawzall)?

Thanks for any help.

Mark