DeepDiver

"Rod" wrote in message

I'm trying to drill several 1/2" holes using a bench drill press.
Using pilot holes I'm able to work my way up to 3/8" holes with no
problem but as soon as I go for the 1/2" bit it just spins and spins
and doesn't want to cut anymore. I end up forcing it down pretty hard
to get through and it takes for ever, what's the trick?

Wht speed are you spinning that bit and what is your feed rate? Also, what
type of bit are you using: quality, material, sharpness, point angle?

For mild steel, you should be using a point angle of 118 deg, and a cutting
speed of 60 to 80 surface feet per minute (~ 450 to 600 rpm). Your feed rate
(downward pressure on the quill) will be higher than with smaller drills.
Make sure you are using a good quality bit, either new or professionally
re-sharpened, and proper cutting fluid.

The next question that I had was, I need to cut some slots into the
angle

The easiest way to do this is with a die grinder or a Dremel-type tool.
Either use a carbide burr or abrasive point to grind out and elongate your
holes, or use a small cut-off wheel to make connecting cuts between two or
more holes.

Regards,
Michael