joebass

Default Bridgeport mill ????'s

I just bought a new shop to start my welding business. It was an engine
repair shop. The owners left ALOT of crap. With it came a Bridgeport
mill. It has a smaller table and looks pretty old. After doing some
research I thought it had an M head until I found this page last night:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page3.html

This really made me happy because, now I can use all the R8 tooling
right? I know VERY little about machine tools but have been wanting a
lathe and mill for a while. How does this head differ from a J head
besides HP? Can I do most of the same operations like boring and other
things?

After finding that website last night I went to find some more info on
it today. The serial number on the head is RD787. Where can I find the
serial number on the mill. I forgot to measure the table. Inside the
little door on it were 14 collets, an Albrecht chuck, Jacobs chuck a
few endmills and it looked like a fly cutter. It also came with an old
vise, a very big magnetic chuck and a clamping set. There is also
another real old mill(looks HUGE and seems to be made in the 20's or
30's) I forgot the name but I did do some research on it and came up
with very little OHIO is stamped on the head.
Anywys how'd I do? Whats this thing worth?

Tom Gardner

A "J" head has power quill feed. To drill or bore you will have to riase
the knee. Been-there-done-that, it ain't so bad, good training...so I was
told. I hope your machines do good work and become friends.

Something is worth exactly what someone will pay. In general, old machine
tools are fairly cheap and plentifull. I don't know of "collector"
value...I might be a millionare!

"joebass" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

joebass

The table is 9 x 32 Link to pics:
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2818

Jon Elson

joebass wrote:

I just bought a new shop to start my welding business. It was an engine
repair shop. The owners left ALOT of crap. With it came a Bridgeport
mill. It has a smaller table and looks pretty old. After doing some
research I thought it had an M head until I found this page last night:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page3.html

This really made me happy because, now I can use all the R8 tooling
right? I know VERY little about machine tools but have been wanting a
lathe and mill for a while. How does this head differ from a J head
besides HP? Can I do most of the same operations like boring and other
things?

So, is it a C, or an R? If it is the C, you are in deep dooDoo, as the
collets
are going to be really hard to find. If it is an R, you can get collets
and end
mill holders, but it is an odd bird, as there are very few R heads out
there.
It has no quill, so all drilling will be by moving the knee. (Ugh, I'd
hate to
drill 1/16" holes with the knee all day!)

After finding that website last night I went to find some more info on
it today. The serial number on the head is RD787.

OK, sounds like it is an R.

Where can I find the
serial number on the mill.

Run the table back with the Y handle, and there is a sliding cover plate
that
keeps (some) swarf out of the knee. Slide the plate back, and the base
serial will
be stamped there. Most likely it will be RD787, too, unless the heads have
been swapped with another machine.

I forgot to measure the table.

Most likely a 9 x 31", round-ram turret mill base, with about 9" of Y travel
(the old, small knee, later machines had 12" of Y travel).

Whats this thing worth?

Ugh! Not a whole lot! Without even an M head, it is just an odd duck.
Even most
first-time buyers know to look for dovetail ram and J heads. Maybe the
R-8 taper
is a good plus, but unless the ways are in exceptional condition for a
1936 machine,
it may be hard to get rid of. It should be smaller than the current
Series I Bridgeport,
so that may be an advantage to a home shop buyer.
(My round-ram originally M-head machine is S# M1388, and was made in roughly
1938, you yours sounds quite a bit older at 787!)

Jon

Jon Elson

joebass wrote:

I just bought a new shop to start my welding business. It was an engine
repair shop. The owners left ALOT of crap. With it came a Bridgeport
mill.

Oh, you asked on ShopFloorTalk about boring. It may not be real good for
boring, because it doesn't have back gear. The lowest spindle speed is 275,
I use about 80 RPM when doing larger boring jobs, sometimes even slower
for really big bores. Also, depending on the condition of the knee ways,
the table may not move in a straight line any more. Worse, almost certainly
on a machine this old, the knee will rock in a forward/backward motion when
the knee movement is reversed. That will play hob with boring!

Jon

FS: Bridgeport Mill and Myford ML7 lathe in UK Peter Moreton Metalworking 2 March 24th 05 02:08 PM
Putting Bridgeport head on clausing mill Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 3 March 19th 05 03:10 AM
WTB Bridgeport Mill JB Metalworking 15 February 14th 05 03:04 PM
(mis)adventures moving a Nichols mill MJ news Metalworking 8 December 6th 04 04:31 PM
FS/ So Cal. Bridgeport Mill Gunner Metalworking 4 November 25th 03 12:39 AM