Tom Gardner

A "J" head has power quill feed. To drill or bore you will have to riase
the knee. Been-there-done-that, it ain't so bad, good training...so I was
told. I hope your machines do good work and become friends.

Something is worth exactly what someone will pay. In general, old machine
tools are fairly cheap and plentifull. I don't know of "collector"
value...I might be a millionare!

"joebass" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought a new shop to start my welding business. It was an engine
repair shop. The owners left ALOT of crap. With it came a Bridgeport
mill. It has a smaller table and looks pretty old. After doing some
research I thought it had an M head until I found this page last night:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page3.html

This really made me happy because, now I can use all the R8 tooling
right? I know VERY little about machine tools but have been wanting a
lathe and mill for a while. How does this head differ from a J head
besides HP? Can I do most of the same operations like boring and other
things?

After finding that website last night I went to find some more info on
it today. The serial number on the head is RD787. Where can I find the
serial number on the mill. I forgot to measure the table. Inside the
little door on it were 14 collets, an Albrecht chuck, Jacobs chuck a
few endmills and it looked like a fly cutter. It also came with an old
vise, a very big magnetic chuck and a clamping set. There is also
another real old mill(looks HUGE and seems to be made in the 20's or
30's) I forgot the name but I did do some research on it and came up
with very little OHIO is stamped on the head.
Anywys how'd I do? Whats this thing worth?