Doug Kanter

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:lb34e.52814$AN1.51103@fed1read03...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Let's add a definition, then. If someone will cry or otherwise have a bad
day when a particular animal is killed, maybe you can call it a "pet".
But, that is of no significance to anyone but the person who will be
upset. Again, it's just a word. And, if they let it roam the
neighborhood, they probably wanted it dead anyway.

Let's add another definition: responsible pet owner.

A "responsible pet owner" provides for the needs of their animal. They
give it food and water. They give it companionship, love, and kindness.
They take it to the doctor when it is sick. They provide a warm/cool safe
place for it to live.

They do not let it wander out unsupervised. They don't allow it to wander
into traffic. They don't allow it to wander into any place where it might
be hurt by any means.

They are like five year olds. Yes, you can let them run around on their
own, but it takes them about ten minutes to get into something and get
hurt.

"Responsible pet owners" take care of their "pets."

Unresponsible pet owners do not, and just like unresponsible parents, then
want to go after (and usually sue) anyone or anything that their kid gets
messed up by, but don't want to mention the fact they weren't doing their
job and fulfilling their responsibilities in the first place.

I notice that we don't have people writing in and complaining that their
dog/cat who stays at home or on leash or under control got into trouble.
It's the ones that are kicked out the door and let back in eight hours
later that have a problem.

Steve

This sounds about right. I guess the next logical step is what each of us
does when we know we're dealing with an irresponsible pet owner. Personally,
I relegate them and their pets to the same category as empty Chinese food
take-out containers.

Doug Kanter

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Electric fence? What kind of batteries? How long do they last? The brand
you have - would you buy it again? I'm in the market for that within the
next couple of weeks. Not really in the mood to trench an AC line to the
garage.

Google Fi-Shock

They have several models. A basic one that plugs into an AC plug and
steps down the electricity is about $30, and all you need. You then run
two wires off the unit (about 4"x6"x3") to what you want to electrify.
Sometimes one of the leads goes to ground. Sometimes, you might want to
use two parallel strips of metal screening on a wood porch to get them
when they are walking in. I like putting one on a piece of metal screen,
and the other on a metal bowl of water or food. Put a sheet of plastic
under the bowl. This insulates the bowl from the metal screen.

When the prowling animal (cat, dog, raccoon, possum, whatever) makes
contact with the bowl, they will get a shock that will make him/her/it
stay away from your porch for the rest of its natural life. It will not
kill the animal, as it has a low voltage.

A really simple quick inexpensive way to get rid of pesky animals. The
only other thing better is the motion sensor water sprayer, but they are
about $70, and can't be used where water is an issue.

These shockers work, and are a million laughs.

Steve

I need to fence a 30x30 garden plot. Still looking for the best way. It's
amazing - 20 minutes south of Rochester NY, there's a dairy farm every half
mile, with an electric fence around at least part of the land. But, so far,
I haven't found a farm supply store where anyone knows anything about
electric fences, and might actually want to take some of my money in return
for the materials I need. Gotta pull over at a farm later this week and find
out if they ordered theirs from another planet, or what.

SteveB

"Doug Kanter" wrote

But, so far,
I haven't found a farm supply store where anyone knows anything about
electric fences, and might actually want to take some of my money in
return for the materials I need. Gotta pull over at a farm later this week
and find out if they ordered theirs from another planet, or what.

I had the same problem here. Went to pet stores. They wanted a fortune,
and didn't have anything but kits that had zillions of wires and connectors
and insulators, etc. Went to tack and feed stores, and same thing. Only
high priced models with high prices that would energize five miles of fence.

Enter: Google.

I had what I wanted within five days. Delivered to my door.

Steve

Jim Yanik

"SteveB" wrote in

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Electric fence? What kind of batteries? How long do they last? The
brand you have - would you buy it again? I'm in the market for that
within the next couple of weeks. Not really in the mood to trench an
AC line to the garage.

Google Fi-Shock

They have several models. A basic one that plugs into an AC plug and
steps down the electricity is about $30, and all you need. You then
run two wires off the unit (about 4"x6"x3") to what you want to
electrify. Sometimes one of the leads goes to ground. Sometimes, you
might want to use two parallel strips of metal screening on a wood
porch to get them when they are walking in. I like putting one on a
piece of metal screen, and the other on a metal bowl of water or food.

Ah,so you're BAITING. Putting out food/water to DRAW IN animals,so you can
shock them.I wonder if you hunt in this manner?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
SteveB

"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message
.. .
"SteveB" wrote in

[...]

No, Jim. If I have a problem with an animal, THEN I put out the Fi-Shock in
whatever arrangement I think will deter that type of animal from returning.
I do not "bait" the area, having the shocker out there at all times.

I own my property, and whenever anything comes in from the outside, be it
human or critter, they are subject to my rules. If they can behave and come
and go, I let them do so freely. If they want to make a mess or tear the
place up or act a fool, I deal with them. I wouldn't allow a human to ****
on my back porch, why would I allow a stray cat? And, if I did have someone
whizzing on my back porch, I'd set out the Fi-Shock for them, too. Once is
all it takes.

Let's do this, Jim. I'll do what I want at my house, and you can do what
you want at yours. Try to cut down on the ****ing and moaning about what
other people are doing on their own private property.

Deal?

BTW, I hunt with a gun, and follow all game laws.

Steve