Doug Kanter

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:lb34e.52814$AN1.51103@fed1read03...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Let's add a definition, then. If someone will cry or otherwise have a bad
day when a particular animal is killed, maybe you can call it a "pet".
But, that is of no significance to anyone but the person who will be
upset. Again, it's just a word. And, if they let it roam the
neighborhood, they probably wanted it dead anyway.

Let's add another definition: responsible pet owner.

A "responsible pet owner" provides for the needs of their animal. They
give it food and water. They give it companionship, love, and kindness.
They take it to the doctor when it is sick. They provide a warm/cool safe
place for it to live.

They do not let it wander out unsupervised. They don't allow it to wander
into traffic. They don't allow it to wander into any place where it might
be hurt by any means.

They are like five year olds. Yes, you can let them run around on their
own, but it takes them about ten minutes to get into something and get
hurt.

"Responsible pet owners" take care of their "pets."

Unresponsible pet owners do not, and just like unresponsible parents, then
want to go after (and usually sue) anyone or anything that their kid gets
messed up by, but don't want to mention the fact they weren't doing their
job and fulfilling their responsibilities in the first place.

I notice that we don't have people writing in and complaining that their
dog/cat who stays at home or on leash or under control got into trouble.
It's the ones that are kicked out the door and let back in eight hours
later that have a problem.

Steve

This sounds about right. I guess the next logical step is what each of us
does when we know we're dealing with an irresponsible pet owner. Personally,
I relegate them and their pets to the same category as empty Chinese food
take-out containers.