Porky

Default Second use for Torx screwdriver?

Besides inflicting vicious injuries upon oneself, what else are they
good for? Well, how about removing the hex set screw on my shower tap
handle. Between my mechanic's toolbox, my electronics bench and my
woodshop, I must have 40 hex wrenches, butt...couldn't come up with the
one to fit that danged tap handle. To aggravate the situation, the
screw is on the underside when the tap is off, so you're either
squatting down in the shower looking up, or turning on the water to get
a better angle on it, good grief! Getting desparate now, no stores are
open and this handle has to come off, I'm installing a new shower
stall. Tried the Torx multi-bit tool, and hey! one of them fit. In
fact, the sharp edges really grab the hex hole, better than a hex
wrench. Now if I could just find one small enough to fit the screws on
my Palm Pilot...

JohnK

toller

wrench. Now if I could just find one small enough to fit the screws on
my Palm Pilot...

I have knife with really tiny allen head screws; I didn't have an allen head
wrench small enough to tighten them when they were loose. I "borrowed" one
in a Radio Shack for a minute.

Goedjn

Besides inflicting vicious injuries upon oneself, what else are they
good for? Well, how about removing the hex set screw on my shower tap
handle. Between my mechanic's toolbox, my electronics bench and my
woodshop, I must have 40 hex wrenches, butt...couldn't come up with the
one to fit that danged tap handle. To aggravate the situation, the
screw is on the underside when the tap is off, so you're either
squatting down in the shower looking up, or turning on the water to get
a better angle on it, good grief! Getting desparate now, no stores are
open and this handle has to come off, I'm installing a new shower
stall. Tried the Torx multi-bit tool, and hey! one of them fit. In
fact, the sharp edges really grab the hex hole, better than a hex
wrench. Now if I could just find one small enough to fit the screws on
my Palm Pilot...

(1) Take a dremel tool to one of your spares, and grind a bit to fit,

(2) Next time, turn the water off in the basement, and you'll
be able to turn the handle in any direction you want.

(3) Check to see if any of your hex bits are metric.

Porky

Goedjn wrote:

(1) Take a dremel tool to one of your spares, and grind a bit to

fit,

The Torx worked, no grinding required.

(2) Next time, turn the water off in the basement, and you'll
be able to turn the handle in any direction you want.

Didn't want to, have to go out to the pumphouse. What i did do, slipped
a length of bicycle inner tube over the pipe, showerhead was removed
already. Water ran harmlessly down the drain.

(3) Check to see if any of your hex bits are metric.

Yep, the shiny ones are metric and the black ones are standard in some
sets. Got lots but must have dropped that size somehow.

Radio Shack for the Palm? Tried them first, no help, sent me to a tool
supply place, sent me elsewhere, etc..

JohnK