m Ransley

Maybe bleach, or caulk over it

m Ransley

Maybe bleach, or caulk over it

Brian

Default whiten yellowed caulk?

Is there any way besides removing caulk that has yellowed to get it white
again? I think it was silicone that I used in two bathrooms. It has
yellowed in both. Thanks for any advice.

Brian in MI

Roger Taylor

"Brian" wrote in message
Is there any way besides removing caulk that has yellowed to get it white
again? I think it was silicone that I used in two bathrooms. It has
yellowed in both. Thanks for any advice.

I've never had good silicone caulk yellow, at least the GE bathroom and sink
product. Whatever it is, it is best to razor blade off the yellowed stuff
if you don't wish to live with it, and get true silicone (non paintable)
waterproof sealer/caulk designed for bath applications, and reapply to a
perfectly clean and dry surface.

I have the same problem. The GE turned yellow and the DAP is still
white. I have gone over it with the Chlorox bleach pen and it is
improved but not bright white.

I'll put on another heavy coat and let ya know.

Fred

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message

"Brian" wrote in message
Is there any way besides removing caulk that has yellowed to get it white
again? I think it was silicone that I used in two bathrooms. It has
yellowed in both. Thanks for any advice.

I've never had good silicone caulk yellow, at least the GE bathroom and
sink product. Whatever it is, it is best to razor blade off the yellowed
stuff if you don't wish to live with it, and get true silicone (non
paintable) waterproof sealer/caulk designed for bath applications, and
reapply to a perfectly clean and dry surface.

Never had GE silicone turned yellow either or hard on various installations
in 30 years. The only problem I had with GE is the shelf life is too short
and too hard to squeeze out of the tube where most of the caulk blow out on
the other end of the tube. Happens all the time - need to keep and eye on
the expiration date.

Roger Taylor

"Fred" wrote in message
Never had GE silicone turned yellow either or hard on various
installations in 30 years. The only problem I had with GE is the shelf
life is too short and too hard to squeeze out of the tube where most of
the caulk blow out on the other end of the tube. Happens all the time -
need to keep and eye on the expiration date.

Excellent point, Fred.
I always give the cartridge sides a squeeze before buying to see if they
"give", and I do check the packing date, if visible. Both the hand-squeeze
tubes and the caulk gun cartridges tend to have high volatility and
correspondingly short shelf life.