MitchA

Default consumer grade HVLP?

Hello,

I'm a hobbyist woodworker and also dabble in the occassional DIY project
and am looking to spedn less than $200 on an HVLP unit. I see that my
options are limited to the Wagner XTRA Paint Crew ($178) or the Campbell
Hausfeld HV1001 ($179.95). I have seen plenty of bad reviews for Wagner
products but can't find any on CH. Can anyone here chime in with
experiences with either unit?

Thanks.
Jim Behning

Some folks have posred favorable results with the Harbor Freight hvlp
conversion gun which is sometimes under $50. You need a good size air
compressor to run it. I have one on the shelf but have not had time to
try it out.

What are you trying to spray? Sometimes a brush is easier than having
to cleanup a gun. Also the material you want to spray affects the
correct spray equipment.

MitchA wrote:

Hello,

I'm a hobbyist woodworker and also dabble in the occassional DIY project
and am looking to spedn less than $200 on an HVLP unit. I see that my
options are limited to the Wagner XTRA Paint Crew ($178) or the Campbell
Hausfeld HV1001 ($179.95). I have seen plenty of bad reviews for Wagner
products but can't find any on CH. Can anyone here chime in with
experiences with either unit?

Thanks.

Mike Marlow

"MitchA" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm a hobbyist woodworker and also dabble in the occassional DIY project
and am looking to spedn less than $200 on an HVLP unit. I see that my
options are limited to the Wagner XTRA Paint Crew ($178) or the Campbell
Hausfeld HV1001 ($179.95). I have seen plenty of bad reviews for Wagner
products but can't find any on CH. Can anyone here chime in with
experiences with either unit?

Thanks.

You are well positioned to buy yourself a pretty good gun, with that budget.
I'm assuming that you're budgeting $200 for a gun, from what you post above.
Within that budget, there is no need to look at low end consumer guns like
you will find at HF, when you can go to Keystone Automotive or a like
supplier of body shops, and buy a good quality aftermarket gun. For
somewhere around $150 you can buy a gun that will serve you forever, that
will spray almost any type of paint (except latex which is not a paint -
it's a..... ummmm.... something else), and that you will be able to get
parts for as your needs change, etc. CH makes good compressors, but I'm not
really impressed with the air equipment they sell - I'd stay away from the
CH guns. With a decent quality gun you'll be able to get the spray patterns
you need for different applications (a decent fan), the right adjustments to
accomodate different materials, (those two statements are inter-related), a
reliable HVLP design inside the gun - not all guns sold as HVLP really give
you HVLP. On cheaper guns, in order to atomize the paint you end up
cranking up the pressure and the gun does not somehow magically reduce it to
under 25psi. What you end up with is nothing more than a standard gun and
none of the benefits of HVLP.

--

-Mike-

m Ransley

I have found consumer grade most everything will not be a good choise if
you plan on using it for years even as a hobby. Your final results will
differ and unit life questionable. alt rec woodworking ,[if I have the
site name right,] might have people that use them often

cm

Mitch,

I thought the wagner paint crew was an airless sprayer?

If there is any chance you can spend more buy this unit:
http://www.lemmer.com/t55-hvlp-turbine.htm

You will not be sorry!

AZCRAIG

Refresh - Repair - Restore
Vintage Travel Trailers
www.azcraig.us

"MitchA" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm a hobbyist woodworker and also dabble in the occassional DIY project
and am looking to spedn less than $200 on an HVLP unit. I see that my
options are limited to the Wagner XTRA Paint Crew ($178) or the Campbell
Hausfeld HV1001 ($179.95). I have seen plenty of bad reviews for Wagner
products but can't find any on CH. Can anyone here chime in with
experiences with either unit?

Thanks.

HerHusband

Mitch,

I'm a hobbyist woodworker and also dabble in the occassional DIY project
and am looking to spend less than $200 on an HVLP unit.

I bought an inexpensive HVLP unit from Harbor Freight for less than $100.
You can also find similar units at Rockler.com.

It's obviously a low end sprayer, but we used it to apply a semi-opaque
stain to our entire house and it worked very well. I haven't had a chance
to try it for anything else yet.

The only real problem we had was the stain would dry and clump up at the
nozzle after 30-45 minutes spraying. So, every now and then I'd have to
stop, take the nozzle apart and clean it up. But, that was a few minutes at
most and I suspect it was due to the thick latex stain. I'm guessing a
thinner stain or finish would spray nicer without the clumping problems.

The sprayer has a small turbine (sounds like a vacuum cleaner when it's
running), a 15 foot hose, and the sprayer/paint pot. No air compressor is
needed. Fairly simple system, but it works nicely.

Anthony
Jim Yanik

HerHusband wrote in
:

Mitch,

I'm a hobbyist woodworker and also dabble in the occassional DIY
project and am looking to spend less than $200 on an HVLP unit.

[...]

What's a "thick latex stain"?

I can understand thick stains,and thick latex paint,but I've not heard of
latex stains.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
HerHusband

Jim,

What's a "thick latex stain"?

Amateur terminology...

We used Behr Plus 10 Semi-Opaque Stain, which was fairly thick. Almost like
a thin paint.

I "thought" the Behr stain had latex in it, but that was over a year ago so
I don't remember for sure.

In any case, when we were spraying it, it would dry up in the nozzle and
leave stringy little clumps. The water based stain was easy to clean up
with a bucket of water nearby, and we could get back to spraying quickly.

Anthony
nospambob

Close on name but no cigar, it's rec.woodworking. Jeff Jewitt at
www.homesteadfinishing.com has several forums for discussion and has a
multitude of guns and is very willing to discuss and answer questions.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:22:36 -0600, (m Ransley)
wrote:

I have found consumer grade most everything will not be a good choise if
you plan on using it for years even as a hobby. Your final results will
differ and unit life questionable. alt rec woodworking ,[if I have the
site name right,] might have people that use them often

nospambob

Several posters report carrying a toothbrush and water supply when
spraying WB products. Spray a bit and brush a bit almost like "Rinse
and repeat".

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:25:00 -0600, HerHusband
wrote:

Jim,

What's a "thick latex stain"?

Amateur terminology...

We used Behr Plus 10 Semi-Opaque Stain, which was fairly thick. Almost like
a thin paint.

I "thought" the Behr stain had latex in it, but that was over a year ago so
I don't remember for sure.

In any case, when we were spraying it, it would dry up in the nozzle and
leave stringy little clumps. The water based stain was easy to clean up
with a bucket of water nearby, and we could get back to spraying quickly.

Anthony

Jim Yanik

HerHusband wrote in
:

Jim,

What's a "thick latex stain"?

Amateur terminology...

We used Behr Plus 10 Semi-Opaque Stain, which was fairly thick. Almost
like a thin paint.

I "thought" the Behr stain had latex in it, but that was over a year
ago so I don't remember for sure.

Why would it have latex in it? (as a -stain-)
Latex is rubber,not a pigment.

In any case, when we were spraying it, it would dry up in the nozzle
and leave stringy little clumps. The water based stain was easy to
clean up with a bucket of water nearby, and we could get back to
spraying quickly.

Anthony

Were you using the supplied device to test the viscosity?

My Harbor Freight $70 HVLP sprayer(which I've not yet used) has a viscosity
cup to get the proper thinness for spraying.It's pretty noisy,though.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik