Jim Yanik

HerHusband wrote in
:

Mitch,

I'm a hobbyist woodworker and also dabble in the occassional DIY
project and am looking to spend less than $200 on an HVLP unit.

I bought an inexpensive HVLP unit from Harbor Freight for less than
$100. You can also find similar units at Rockler.com.

It's obviously a low end sprayer, but we used it to apply a
semi-opaque stain to our entire house and it worked very well. I
haven't had a chance to try it for anything else yet.

The only real problem we had was the stain would dry and clump up at
the nozzle after 30-45 minutes spraying. So, every now and then I'd
have to stop, take the nozzle apart and clean it up. But, that was a
few minutes at most and I suspect it was due to the thick latex stain.
I'm guessing a thinner stain or finish would spray nicer without the
clumping problems.

The sprayer has a small turbine (sounds like a vacuum cleaner when
it's running), a 15 foot hose, and the sprayer/paint pot. No air
compressor is needed. Fairly simple system, but it works nicely.

Anthony

What's a "thick latex stain"?

I can understand thick stains,and thick latex paint,but I've not heard of
latex stains.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik