Chuck and Erika Douglas

Default Sink problem

I have a problem with my sink. I am wondering if anyone might have ideas
about what I can do to solve the problem. My sink has a sprayer attached to
it. When you use the sprayer the water to the sink faucet is temporarily
stopped. When you stop using the sprayer the water to the sink faucet
resumes.

Over time, when I use my sprayer the sink faucet still lets water out.
This decreases the pressure from the sprayer. I am wondering if there is
something simple I can do to fix this? It seems the mechanism, which holds
the water from going out of the sink faucet, is failing. I would appreciate
any ideas you may have about this.

Thanks
Chuck

Speedy Jim

Chuck and Erika Douglas wrote:

I have a problem with my sink. I am wondering if anyone might have ideas
about what I can do to solve the problem. My sink has a sprayer attached to
it. When you use the sprayer the water to the sink faucet is temporarily
stopped. When you stop using the sprayer the water to the sink faucet
resumes.

Over time, when I use my sprayer the sink faucet still lets water out.
This decreases the pressure from the sprayer. I am wondering if there is
something simple I can do to fix this? It seems the mechanism, which holds
the water from going out of the sink faucet, is failing. I would appreciate
any ideas you may have about this.

Every such faucet has a "diverter" valve built into the
base of the spout assy. You will need to find the Mfr name
to get specific instruction how to disassemble.

Depending on the brand and model, the parts may be
readily available (or not).

Jim
dadiOH

Chuck and Erika Douglas wrote:
I have a problem with my sink. I am wondering if anyone might
have ideas
about what I can do to solve the problem. My sink has a sprayer
attached to
it. When you use the sprayer the water to the sink faucet is
temporarily
stopped. When you stop using the sprayer the water to the sink faucet
resumes.

Over time, when I use my sprayer the sink faucet still lets water
out.
This decreases the pressure from the sprayer. I am wondering if
there is something simple I can do to fix this? It seems the
mechanism, which holds
the water from going out of the sink faucet, is failing. I would
appreciate
any ideas you may have about this.

1. As Speedy Jim said, replace the diverter

2. Buy a new faucet

3. Right handed? Stick your left thumb over the faucet

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Curly Sue

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:25:25 -0500, "Chuck and Erika Douglas"
wrote:

I have a problem with my sink. I am wondering if anyone might have ideas
about what I can do to solve the problem. My sink has a sprayer attached to
it. When you use the sprayer the water to the sink faucet is temporarily
stopped. When you stop using the sprayer the water to the sink faucet
resumes.

Over time, when I use my sprayer the sink faucet still lets water out.
This decreases the pressure from the sprayer. I am wondering if there is
something simple I can do to fix this? It seems the mechanism, which holds
the water from going out of the sink faucet, is failing. I would appreciate
any ideas you may have about this.

I just replaced the diverter on my 5-year old kitchen faucet and it
was very simple; I didn't even have to turn off the water feed.
FortunatelyI knew my manufacturer (Moen) and model number because I
saved the box, and they sent me the diverter with instructions for
free.

As it turned out, the diverter wasn't the source of my problem (water
*only* came out of the faucet). It was the button on the sprayer
handle which had gotten stuck in the down position. I disassembled
the sprayer head and got the interior plastic button loose with a
needle-nose pliers. It still sticks on occasion so they are sending
me a new sprayer.

(The funny thing is that I really did "buy it for looks" and I'm
amazed at the service!)

Sue(tm)
Jeff Wisnia

Chuck and Erika Douglas wrote:
I have a problem with my sink. I am wondering if anyone might have ideas
about what I can do to solve the problem. My sink has a sprayer attached to
it. When you use the sprayer the water to the sink faucet is temporarily
stopped. When you stop using the sprayer the water to the sink faucet
resumes.

Over time, when I use my sprayer the sink faucet still lets water out.
This decreases the pressure from the sprayer. I am wondering if there is
something simple I can do to fix this? It seems the mechanism, which holds
the water from going out of the sink faucet, is failing. I would appreciate
any ideas you may have about this.

It's not always the diverter valve.

Anything restricting the flow through the hoze and nozzle can cause that
failure to switch the flow over completely. (At least on my Delta single
lever faucet.)

I had the same situation as the OP, and swapping in a new diverter valve
didn't alter the situation. Turned out the a rubber washer at the joint
between the hoze and the nozzle had swollen and restricted the flow.

The diverter valve needs some minimal amount of back pressure from the
hose in order to flip the flow over completely. Simply punching the hole
in that swolen rubber washer made the sprayer work perfectly again.

Try taking the nozzle off the hose first and see if the flow diversion
works as it should. If it does, look for a restriction (Could be plugged
nozzle holes too.), If that doesn't help, then go after the diverter valve.

HTH,

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Stormin Mormon

I had this problem wtih my Bridgewater faucet. The problem turned out to be
sand and particles in the center.

The solution: The "spout is the part in the center that swings" It has a big
nut that you can unthread. If it's not too badly rotted on. Remove this big
nut. You might call it a "cap".

Gently turn on one or the other faucet, and a plastic assembly will lift out
of the center. From where you just unscrewed the cap. You'll spill some
water, migh twant to have a towel or sponge handy.

Note which direction is up and down. Bang the little plastic thing on the
counter, and maybe take it to another sink to rinse out, and bang it some
more on the other sink.

Reinsert. Screw cap on spout. Try it again.

Remit $48.50 for advice.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chuck and Erika Douglas" wrote in message
I have a problem with my sink. I am wondering if anyone might have ideas
about what I can do to solve the problem. My sink has a sprayer attached to
it. When you use the sprayer the water to the sink faucet is temporarily
stopped. When you stop using the sprayer the water to the sink faucet
resumes.

Over time, when I use my sprayer the sink faucet still lets water out.
This decreases the pressure from the sprayer. I am wondering if there is
something simple I can do to fix this? It seems the mechanism, which holds
the water from going out of the sink faucet, is failing. I would appreciate
any ideas you may have about this.

Thanks
Chuck

News==----
Newsgroups

Wiring problem A Nony Mous Home Repair 10 May 28th 04 03:00 AM
kitchen sink problem: want single-flow crosstop deck sink mixer... but height clearance limited james UK diy 6 March 30th 04 02:43 PM
Screw in sink Nozza UK diy 8 December 23rd 03 01:26 AM
Blanco sink - create own punch outs? blue Home Repair 8 December 21st 03 06:19 PM
Sink Clips Caliban Home Repair 4 September 3rd 03 08:40 PM