Nozza

Default Screw in sink

I have a kitchen sink made from plastic - it is has a main sink for
washing up, and then a smaller sink right next to it, on the right,
for, er, well, I don't know.

The sink is made from white plastic. All has worked fine for the past
7 years. Until today. When I notice that water is dripping out from
underneath the sink into the cupboard underneath.

On close inspection I notice that there is now a screw missing in the
plug hole, and that the gubbins underneath the unit is no longer
tightly affixed to the underside of the unit.

Is there a standard size plastic screw for this - to go through the
middle of the plug hole and tighten the whole thing together? If so,
what's it called, and where can I get one. I don't really want to
replace the whole sink for the sake of a screw.

Thanks

Noz
--
Email nozza underscore wales at yahoo co uk
Andy Hall

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:08:00 +0000, Nozza
wrote:

I have a kitchen sink made from plastic - it is has a main sink for
washing up, and then a smaller sink right next to it, on the right,
for, er, well, I don't know.

It's a half sink used typically for cleaning,peeling and straining
vegetables among other things.

The sink is made from white plastic. All has worked fine for the past
7 years. Until today. When I notice that water is dripping out from
underneath the sink into the cupboard underneath.

On close inspection I notice that there is now a screw missing in the
plug hole, and that the gubbins underneath the unit is no longer
tightly affixed to the underside of the unit.

Is there a standard size plastic screw for this - to go through the
middle of the plug hole and tighten the whole thing together? If so,
what's it called, and where can I get one. I don't really want to
replace the whole sink for the sake of a screw.

It's probably metric, but I would expect the screw to be metal, not
plastic. I would use a stainless steel one as a replacement.
B&Q have small packets of them.

Thanks

Noz

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Alex

Why not fit a new waste they cost very little and you will at least no it is
the correct fixing

The Natural Philosopher

Nozza wrote:

I have a kitchen sink made from plastic - it is has a main sink for
washing up, and then a smaller sink right next to it, on the right,
for, er, well, I don't know.

The sink is made from white plastic. All has worked fine for the past
7 years. Until today. When I notice that water is dripping out from
underneath the sink into the cupboard underneath.

On close inspection I notice that there is now a screw missing in the
plug hole, and that the gubbins underneath the unit is no longer
tightly affixed to the underside of the unit.

Is there a standard size plastic screw for this - to go through the
middle of the plug hole and tighten the whole thing together? If so,
what's it called, and where can I get one. I don't really want to
replace the whole sink for the sake of a screw.

Yes, these are sometimes avaialable, or, you can do what I did: Drill
roght through the unit and put a bolt in and munge up the bits with BODY
FILLER and Silicone.

Thanks

Noz

Andy P

Nozza wrote:
I have a kitchen sink made from plastic - it is has a main sink for
washing up, and then a smaller sink right next to it, on the right,
for, er, well, I don't know.

The sink is made from white plastic. All has worked fine for the past
7 years. Until today. When I notice that water is dripping out from
underneath the sink into the cupboard underneath.

On close inspection I notice that there is now a screw missing in the
plug hole, and that the gubbins underneath the unit is no longer
tightly affixed to the underside of the unit.

Is there a standard size plastic screw for this - to go through the
middle of the plug hole and tighten the whole thing together? If so,
what's it called, and where can I get one. I don't really want to
replace the whole sink for the sake of a screw.

Thanks

Noz

Have you looked in the trap for the old screw? It must have gone somewhere.

Andy

--
Replace MYNAME with my name to reply.

Nozza

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:16:36 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

It's a half sink used typically for cleaning,peeling and straining
vegetables among other things.

Yeah - that sort of thing...

It's probably metric, but I would expect the screw to be metal, not
plastic. I would use a stainless steel one as a replacement.
B&Q have small packets of them.

Excellent - I'll pop over and have a look - is there a specific name
or type of screw I'm looking for? I can picture the aisle with packets
of screws in - there must 1000 different types...

Cheers

Noz
--
Email nozza underscore wales at yahoo co uk
Andy Hall

wrote:

It's a half sink used typically for cleaning,peeling and straining
vegetables among other things.

Yeah - that sort of thing...

It's probably metric, but I would expect the screw to be metal, not
plastic. I would use a stainless steel one as a replacement.
B&Q have small packets of them.

Excellent - I'll pop over and have a look - is there a specific name
or type of screw I'm looking for? I can picture the aisle with packets
of screws in - there must 1000 different types...

Cheers

Noz

They don't do that many different types of stainless steel screw -
perhaps 10 different kinds.

I would take the item that it screws into with you.

You might draw a blank because often these screws are quite long.

Otherwise you can buy packs of assorted stainless steel screws from
places like Screwfix, but the trouble is that it would probably then
be more cost effective to buy a new waste (plug hole) and trap.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Armstrong

wrote:

It's a half sink used typically for cleaning,peeling and straining
vegetables among other things.

Yeah - that sort of thing...

It's probably metric, but I would expect the screw to be metal, not
plastic. I would use a stainless steel one as a replacement.
B&Q have small packets of them.

Excellent - I'll pop over and have a look - is there a specific name
or type of screw I'm looking for? I can picture the aisle with packets
of screws in - there must 1000 different types...

Cheers

Noz

They don't do that many different types of stainless steel screw -
perhaps 10 different kinds.

I would take the item that it screws into with you.

The screw in the plughole for the other bowl is likely to be identical, so
you could take that one out temporarily for comparison.
As Andy P says, worth having a look in the trap for the missing screw.
Michael Chare

"Nozza" wrote in message
I have a kitchen sink made from plastic - it is has a main sink for
washing up, and then a smaller sink right next to it, on the right,
for, er, well, I don't know.

The sink is made from white plastic. All has worked fine for the past
7 years. Until today. When I notice that water is dripping out from
underneath the sink into the cupboard underneath.

On close inspection I notice that there is now a screw missing in the
plug hole, and that the gubbins underneath the unit is no longer
tightly affixed to the underside of the unit.

Is there a standard size plastic screw for this - to go through the
middle of the plug hole and tighten the whole thing together? If so,
what's it called, and where can I get one. I don't really want to
replace the whole sink for the sake of a screw.

Try a decent plumbers merchant. Also it may be worth while contacting sink
manufacturer. When I bought a Franke sink that part came with the sink in a
separate package as it is part of a purpose made assembly to connect to the sink
overflow. My guess is that the screw will be a metric thread and that any
stainless steel (or brass) screw would make do. If the screw that you buy is to
long you can always cut it down.

Where is the old screw now? have you looked in the U bend or what ever trap you
have?

Michael Chare

Thanks

Noz
--
Email nozza underscore wales at yahoo co uk

(Slightly) unusual kitchen sink "geometry" needed Clive Long,UK UK diy 7 December 5th 03 11:44 AM
Movement in worktop sink cutout John Greenwood UK diy 2 October 9th 03 02:31 PM
Sink Waste venting problem BillR UK diy 1 September 9th 03 05:16 AM
sink waste vandelay UK diy 9 August 18th 03 06:35 PM
Black pads underneath s/s sink? Bob Eager UK diy 3 August 8th 03 01:41 AM