SteveB

Default Tile saw question

Can I cut glass with a MK diamond saw tile cutter?

I have some 100 year old whisky bottle necks that I want to cut off nicely
and make hat pegs out of. I figured I would saw them at a slight angle so
that when mounted on a flat piece of barn wood, they would point slightly
up.

Has anyone ever cut something like this? I would make a small cradle to
hold them and get repeatable cuts, and would use a very slow feed with the
water spray.

Steve

Edwin Pawlowski

"SteveB" wrote in message
Can I cut glass with a MK diamond saw tile cutter?

I have some 100 year old whisky bottle necks that I want to cut off nicely
and make hat pegs out of. I figured I would saw them at a slight angle so
that when mounted on a flat piece of barn wood, they would point slightly
up.

I don't have a clue about cutting them, but are the bottles worth anything
to a collector? Could you be cutting a $500 bottle to make a 5¢ peg?

G Henslee

SteveB wrote:
Can I cut glass with a MK diamond saw tile cutter?

I have some 100 year old whisky bottle necks that I want to cut off nicely
and make hat pegs out of. I figured I would saw them at a slight angle so
that when mounted on a flat piece of barn wood, they would point slightly
up.

Has anyone ever cut something like this? I would make a small cradle to
hold them and get repeatable cuts, and would use a very slow feed with the
water spray.

Steve

Steve,

It depends upon the blade. Check MK's web site or give them a call.
How do you plan to decrease the motor speed on the saw to very slow?
Fred

"SteveB" wrote in message
Can I cut glass with a MK diamond saw tile cutter?

I have some 100 year old whisky bottle necks that I want to cut off nicely
and make hat pegs out of. I figured I would saw them at a slight angle so
that when mounted on a flat piece of barn wood, they would point slightly
up.

Has anyone ever cut something like this? I would make a small cradle to
hold them and get repeatable cuts, and would use a very slow feed with the
water spray.

Steve

I think there a special blade to cut glass cleanly. The normal diamond blade
will cut but will also chip the glass. Have not done this myself but that's
my understanding. 100 year old whisky bottle, sure you want to do this?

RicodJour

SteveB wrote:
Can I cut glass with a MK diamond saw tile cutter?

I have some 100 year old whisky bottle necks that I want to cut off

nicely
and make hat pegs out of. I figured I would saw them at a slight

angle so
that when mounted on a flat piece of barn wood, they would point

slightly
up.

Has anyone ever cut something like this? I would make a small cradle

hold them and get repeatable cuts, and would use a very slow feed

with the
water spray.

You have a few options. Probably the easiest would be to bring them to
a local stained glass artisan and have them cut them on their diamond
bandsaw. I use one for those ridiculous cuts in porcelain tile. Or
you could have someone cut them on a lapidary saw (wet diamond saw used
for cutting semi-precious stones). You could probably get away with
cutting them on a diamond tile saw and grind the ends with a stained
glass grinder (Wizard is one name).

SteveB

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
Can I cut glass with a MK diamond saw tile cutter?

I have some 100 year old whisky bottle necks that I want to cut off
nicely and make hat pegs out of. I figured I would saw them at a slight
angle so that when mounted on a flat piece of barn wood, they would point
slightly up.

I don't have a clue about cutting them, but are the bottles worth anything
to a collector? Could you be cutting a $500 bottle to make a 5¢ peg?

These are just the necks. They are the common brown whiskey bottles, blown
in a mold, then a neck applied of molten glass.

The whole bottle in excellent condition would be worth about a dollar.

I have a bottle collection, and have specimens dating back to 1863.

No, they aren't worth a dime, but I think they might make an interesting hat
rack.

Steve

Instead of cutting them, maybe your hat rack should be designed to hold
the entire bottle, and not just the neck. I would think the entire
bottle would be more structurely sound that just the neck.

just an idea

SteveB

wrote in message
oups.com...
Instead of cutting them, maybe your hat rack should be designed to hold
the entire bottle, and not just the neck. I would think the entire
bottle would be more structurely sound that just the neck.

just an idea

I wish I had the whole bottle. The whole bottles were snatched by
collectors YEARS ago. All I could pick up were some necks.

Please reread original post.

Steve

Charles Spitzer

"Fred" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
Can I cut glass with a MK diamond saw tile cutter?

I have some 100 year old whisky bottle necks that I want to cut off
nicely and make hat pegs out of. I figured I would saw them at a slight
angle so that when mounted on a flat piece of barn wood, they would point
slightly up.

Has anyone ever cut something like this? I would make a small cradle to
hold them and get repeatable cuts, and would use a very slow feed with
the water spray.

Steve

I think there a special blade to cut glass cleanly. The normal diamond
blade will cut but will also chip the glass. Have not done this myself but
that's my understanding. 100 year old whisky bottle, sure you want to do
this?

as long as it's a non-segmented blade, it will work ok. there are a lot of
specialty glass blades, most of them expensive for doing just a few. if
you're doing a 1000, or need an exceptionally clean cut, you might want one.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

G Henslee

Charles Spitzer wrote:

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Hi charlie.

Interesting site. Do you have art displayed there?

Ceramic tile question Daniel Home Repair 5 March 9th 05 09:46 PM
Vinyl floor tile question(s) davefr Home Repair 7 December 13th 04 04:17 PM
Floor tile question PoP UK diy 11 February 14th 04 01:46 AM
ceramic tile on sheet rock question TM Home Repair 21 December 13th 03 06:58 PM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM