Sean

Default Drywalling horiz or vert with sloped ceiling?

I have an older commercial building that I have to drywall and it has a
sloped ceiling. (It slopes about 1/4" every foot. It starts out close to 9'8
and finishes closer to 8'10". It's a very old building). I am putting in a
40' wall right down the center. Should I hang the drywall horizontally or
vertically?
Most people seem to recommend horizontal for most drywalling, but with a
slope like that it makes things a little more interesting.
Thanks

G Henslee

Sean,

In this case hanging the drywall vertical would result in fewer joints.
If the ceiling was 8'-2" or less, horizontal would be the way.

Sean wrote:
I have an older commercial building that I have to drywall and it has a
sloped ceiling. (It slopes about 1/4" every foot. It starts out close to 9'8
and finishes closer to 8'10". It's a very old building). I am putting in a
40' wall right down the center. Should I hang the drywall horizontally or
vertically?
Most people seem to recommend horizontal for most drywalling, but with a
slope like that it makes things a little more interesting.
Thanks

Robert Allison

Sean wrote:
I have an older commercial building that I have to drywall and it has a
sloped ceiling. (It slopes about 1/4" every foot. It starts out close to 9'8
and finishes closer to 8'10". It's a very old building). I am putting in a
40' wall right down the center. Should I hang the drywall horizontally or
vertically?
Most people seem to recommend horizontal for most drywalling, but with a
slope like that it makes things a little more interesting.
Thanks

If it is being used for commercial purposes, then it should be
hung vertically. Almost all commercial is hung vertically.
This is partly due to code as it puts all the edges over a
stud and once fire taped, adds a little time to the fire
rating of the wall. In this case, it makes sense to do so
because of the slope, in addition to the code requirements.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

jeffc

"calhoun" wrote in message
Vertical. 10' sheets only way to not have butt joints.

No, that's the only way to avoid horizontal butt joints, but you will still
have vertical butt joints. The best way to hang drywall in general is to
pick the solutions that gives you the shortest total length of butt joint.
It's not at all obvious that hanging it vertically will reduce the total
lenth of butt joints. There's no way to know unless you gave the exact
dimensions of the room and then compared 2 different layouts.

jeffc

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Sean,

In this case hanging the drywall vertical would result in fewer joints. If
the ceiling was 8'-2" or less, horizontal would be the way.

That's not true of course because they offer 4.5' wide drywall specifically
for 9' ceilings. But even so, it wouldn't necessarily be correct.

G Henslee

jeffc wrote:
"G Henslee" wrote in message

Sean,

In this case hanging the drywall vertical would result in fewer joints. If
the ceiling was 8'-2" or less, horizontal would be the way.

That's not true of course because they offer 4.5' wide drywall specifically
for 9' ceilings. But even so, it wouldn't necessarily be correct.

I was not aware of the 4.5 material. But even so, my calculations
wouldn't necessarily be incorrect.
jeffc

"G Henslee" wrote in message

In this case hanging the drywall vertical would result in fewer joints.
If the ceiling was 8'-2" or less, horizontal would be the way.

That's not true of course because they offer 4.5' wide drywall
specifically for 9' ceilings. But even so, it wouldn't necessarily be
correct.

I was not aware of the 4.5 material. But even so, my calculations
wouldn't necessarily be incorrect.

Well no, not necessarily. But neither would they necessarily be correct.
The correct way to do it is the way that results in the fewest butt joints,
and there is no magic guideline that will tell you that without actually
laying it out on paper and calculating it both ways.