Joe S

Default Double Pane window - Internal Condensation

I have a double pane window that is showing a fair amount of internal
condensation after our Southern California rain storms.

Is there a remedial re-sealing/repair option available, or is it "new
window" time?

Joe

Joseph Meehan

Joe S wrote:
I have a double pane window that is showing a fair amount of internal
condensation after our Southern California rain storms.

Is there a remedial re-sealing/repair option available, or is it "new
window" time?

Joe

There is no way to fix the unit, but you can replace just the glass and
that is usually reasonably priced.

How old is the window and do you know what kind of warrantee came with
it. It may be covered.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

AutoTracer

Probably not an easy fix. I imagine you would need to drill two holes in
one pane only, bake the moisture out by forcing hot dry air in one hole and
out the other, back fill with nitrogen and seal the holes. Then there is
the question of how did that water get in there in the first place.

Can't imagine that process costing less than replacing the window or at
least the pane (unless it is a particularly large window) especially if the
window must be removed to do it. Frankly, I don't even know if this process
is offered by contractors.

"Joe S" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a double pane window that is showing a fair amount of internal
condensation after our Southern California rain storms.

Is there a remedial re-sealing/repair option available, or is it "new
window" time?

Joe

m Ransley

New window time, a plus is a new Low E Argon will perform much better if
you old did not have it.

Joe S

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Joe S wrote:
I have a double pane window that is showing a fair amount of

internal
condensation after our Southern California rain storms.

Is there a remedial re-sealing/repair option available, or is it

"new
window" time?

Joe

There is no way to fix the unit, but you can replace just the

glass and
that is usually reasonably priced.

How old is the window and do you know what kind of warrantee came

with
it. It may be covered.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

The window is almost exactly 20 years old...house was built sometime in
'85. I do not know the manufacturer...it came with the house when I
bought it 16 years ago. Is the frame usually stamped with the mfg name
when you remove the trim or pull the window out?

Unfortunately, it's about 5' x 6' and is set in a second story
bay...not the easiest access in the world!

Any guesstimates on what a 'reasonable' price is for a window like
this? Are we talking $100? $200? $300? More?

Joe

blueman

"AutoTracer" writes:
Probably not an easy fix. I imagine you would need to drill two holes in
one pane only, bake the moisture out by forcing hot dry air in one hole and
out the other, back fill with nitrogen and seal the holes.

I don't believe that the OP was asking you to use your
imagination. Heck, I can imagine many solutions, including having the
tooth fairy come and wave a magic wand to fix it.

Have you ever done the above process successfully yourself or seen
someone else do it on a residential install? If not, why do you feel
compelled to make things up when someone is asking for an experienced
answer.

Can't imagine that process costing less than replacing the window or at
least the pane (unless it is a particularly large window) especially if the
window must be removed to do it.

Again, I don't believe the OP was asking you to use your imagination

Frankly, I don't even know if this process is offered by
contractors.

So why are you suggesting it then?
Ron

I have the same problem, the seal leaked and condensation forms between the
pains. You can't fix this and you need to replace the glass. Getting
replacement glass was very expensive because the manufacturer of my windows
went out of business. I decided to replace the windows.
Ron

"Joe S" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a double pane window that is showing a fair amount of internal
condensation after our Southern California rain storms.

Is there a remedial re-sealing/repair option available, or is it "new
window" time?

Joe

Joseph Meehan

Ron wrote:
I have the same problem, the seal leaked and condensation forms
between the pains. You can't fix this and you need to replace the
glass. Getting replacement glass was very expensive because the
manufacturer of my windows went out of business. I decided to
replace the windows.
Ron

Normally replacement glass can be made up for you by a local shop.
Small towns may not have such a shop, but most larger cities will have them.
They can do a lot of custom work to reproduce the glass in almost any
existing window.

oups.com...